Driving from Scottsdale to San Diego

Old Sep 27th, 1999, 07:15 PM
nancy

Driving from Scottsdale to San Diego

Visiting Az. in Dec. and then driving to California. First time. Not interested in tourist type things. We want to get a flavor of the area and other towns. Maybe a 4 day stay. Modest budget. Any suggestions. Mature couple. No children in tow.

What's the best route? Thanks. Folks have always been helpful at this forum.

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 06:53 AM
me again

Come on folks. There must be someone who can share info. Please!

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 07:33 PM
david

you need to be more specific; Az. is a big state. Which part of the state do you want to see? Also it would be helpful if you could clarify what you are looking for

Old Oct 3rd, 1999, 07:53 PM
Cal

The problem with your question is that you don't specify where in California you want to go. You will travel different routes for San Diego vs Los Angeles for example.

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 01:37 PM
me again

I thought my question was clear. Trying again. I am driving from Scottsdale, AZ to San Deigo to visit in the SanDiego area for a few days.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 11:39 AM
amy

Arizona is awesome- I would drive from Scottsdale and go one hour north to Sedona (absolutely beautiful) which is red-rock country- great hikes, arts, restaurants- very neat town, then one hour north from that to the beautiful Grand Canyon- then go 3 hours West to Las Vegas and then somehow work your way to San Diego...ENJOY!!!

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 11:40 AM
amy

Arizona is awesome- I would drive from Scottsdale and go one hour north to Sedona (absolutely beautiful) which is red-rock country- great hikes, arts, restaurants- very neat town, then one hour north from that to the beautiful Grand Canyon- then go 3 hours West to Las Vegas and then somehow work your way to San Diego...ENJOY!!!

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 08:52 PM
David

Me again; I am afraid we are letting you down (me included). In all honesty, I cant think of too much between scottsdale and san diego. This is about a 5 hour ride with not much to see in between.(Take I-10 west to I think State 89 south to Gila Bend and pick up I-8 west to San Diego) Sedona is 1 and 3/4 hours north of Phx. and not on the route.If you are interested in pretty desert vistas near Scottsdale drive out to Saguaro Lake, and or Carefree; Cave Creek is a dusty "western town" near Carefree. Phx. has the Heard Museum, a wonderful native american museum downtown. Tempe is a college town and the downtown area is very nice especially in December. Hope I gave you some useful ideas.

Old Oct 9th, 1999, 07:22 AM
Cal

Nancy:

I have to apologize to you. I see that you did say Scottsdale to San Diego in the title. I just didn't see it. Sign of old age I guess.

David's advice is pretty accurate. You essentially drive the route he mentions from Scottsdale - Yuma - San Diego. It is a very boring trip and will take about 5-6 hours. However you will be rewarded by arriving in San Diego which is "America's Finest City" ( little home town bias ).