Reload this Page >

Driving from San Diego to La Jolla

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:51 AM
Lynn

My husband and I are coming to San Diego for a little trip. My husband HATES to drive when on vacation. His job requires him to drive 8 - 10 hours a day, so when he is on vacation he likes to have public transportation do the driving for him. However, I am trying to convince him that we need to rent a car and drive up to La Jolla for a day. I hear it is incredibly beautiful. Anyway, is the drive from San Diego an "easy" commute. I know it's not very far, but from downtown (Embassy Suites) is it an easy jump on to the highway and then straight there. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments that you have on doing this day trip.

Old May 1st, 2001, 05:56 AM
L

Lyy, I was just in SD and the drive takes only a few minutes, and it is a pretty area. Easy drive. Plus some of the best restaurants are in La Jolla. Best restaurant I found was California Cuisine. No luck locating top seafood places, surprisingly. Enjoy SD. By the way, the walk along the marina, heding Marriott and Hyatt, is terrific.

Old May 1st, 2001, 08:29 AM
Barbara

Lynn, La Jolla is actually a suburb of San Diego. Your hotel will give you detailed directions. It should take about 20mins. You might consider taking a cab rather than renting a car just for this. Have a wonderful time.

Barbara.

Old May 1st, 2001, 08:29 AM
Mark

People often refer to La Jolla as if it were a separate city or town. Actually, it is just another neighborhood or area within the city of San Diego. A very beautiful and pricey neighborhood, but just a neighborhood.

Old May 1st, 2001, 09:59 AM
Lynn

Thanks to all! I actually thought it was a separate town! I actually considered a cab, but thought we might need a car once we were in La Jolla to see all the sights and shopping. Is it small enough that you can walk around and take in all the sights?

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:09 AM
kam

LaJolla is within the city limits of San Diego, but refers to itself as a "village." You will not need a car to see the "downtown" area and the coves, but you will need one if you want to see UCSD's campus or the neighboring town of Del Mar where the racetrack is. Driving is pretty easy, just avoid the rush hour. Take the 5 freeway to La Jolla Village Drive. You might also like to visit one of the missions while you have a car--San Luis Rey has beautiful art and San Juan Capistrano is a classic.

Old May 1st, 2001, 10:30 AM
L

Enough. LOL, but Lynn and the hubby could have walked to La Jolla by now. BTW, did anyone mention the boat service up there? Ciao

Old May 1st, 2001, 11:55 AM
J T Kirk

Hey, someone once told that LaJolla is just a neighborhood of San Diego, and is not its own town - is that correct???!??
Lynn, get thee to LaJolla, by whatever means you have. It is a charming, albeit expensive, little village. there are some great restaurants there. And head to Black Beach if you dare!!!!