Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

7-day Metro card available at JFK/LaGuardia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to get our passes at the airport and take public transit into the city.

I checked the MTA website and it says the machines carry them but when I put in LGA/JFK's zip into the "locate where to buy" tool, it comes up with nothing or an error.

Any locals or recent NYC travellers know? TIA.

Enjoy-la!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM

Easy.

Take the airtrain to either howard beach or jamaica.

At the end of the airtrain ride, you can buy a metrocard to pay for the airtrain ride and you can also buy a funpass for the week.

Keep in mind that the funpass will not cover the airtrain, so you have to buy one metrocard for the airtrain and another metrocard for the funpass.

Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

gb944, thx a mint for the info. That's another route I can look into to.

I wanted to buy the pass at LaGuardia/JFK because I was going to take the M60 bus into the city.

Anyone buy one at the airport before?

cheers,
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:51 PM

La Guardia and JFK are not the same deal. At JFK you take the AirTrain to a subway stop. You can buy the 7 day pass there. At LGA you have to take the bus to the subway. The Hudson News stands in the terminals sell metrocards but may not have the 7 day one.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM

klam_chowder, which airport?
JFK and LGA are in different locations.
The m60 bus goes from/to LGA only. The Airtrain goes from/to JFK only.

I've heard that some of the newstands (Hudson?)at the airports carry the metrocards.

(also FYI, the "funpass" is the name for the one day card only. Other unlimited cards are just called "unlimited". There are now 7 day, 14 day,and 30 day unlimited cards)
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:06 PM

You need to look at a map of NYC. Check out the MYA website subway map - which will show airport locations.

JFK and LGA are in completely different directions. The latter only has city buses - either into Manhattan or to the subway in Queens.

The latter has the Air TRain to the subway or Long Island RailRoad. (There are also city buses - but they are local - and you wouldn't take them into Manhattan unless you want to spend 3 hours and multiple changes.)
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, I hadn't booked my airfare when I posted this morning so I was wondering about availability at both airports.

I just booked flying in/out of LGA as I can leave on a 6pm Sunday flight so I'll still have the whole morning and lunch before I head off.

I guess I can take the M60 bus. Thx a mint for the info - I'll check out Hudson News when I arrive at the terminal.

Enjoy-la!

Old May 23rd, 2008, 06:53 AM

Klam,

If you really plan to take the bus/subway from LGA, bring $2 in quarters or other change as a backup. If the newstand doesn't have a MetroCard, you need coins to pay the bus fare--no paper money allowed.

If you use coins, be sure to take the paper MetroCard the bus driver will eject from the machine when you pay the fare--you will need it to transfer to the subway.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:25 AM

ellenem & klam_chowder,
actually, if you pay bus fare by cash rather than Metrocard, the transfer you get is only good for another bus, not for the subway.
see info here
http://www.mta.info/nyct/bus/howto_bus.htm
"If you pay your fare with coins, you may transfer free between buses with intersecting routes."

I hope you can find the unlimited sold somewhere, and let us and other future travelers know!

Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:31 AM

Well, that's sad.

So either transfer to a bus in Manhattan to ride on the same fare, which could make the trip even more interminably long, OR transfer to the subway, where you will buy your passes and use for the first time for the subway ride to your hotel.

Meanwhile, Klam said "our passes" in the original post. If there's more than one of you, I'd just take a cab from LGA to Manhattan.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thx a mint for the info & tips, ellenem and nyer! Nothing like the confused tourist trying to feed bills into a bus and then telling the subway agent, "but I got a transfer"...LOL!

Yes, it will be DH & I but we'll prolly take transit. I hopstop'd the route and the M101L rides down Park so we can transfer to a bus still. I'll let DH decide if he wants to bus or sub...no dif to me.

I'll be sure to TR upon my return (=

cheers,
Old May 23rd, 2008, 08:50 AM

It is a royal pain to do the bus/subway thing from LGA, especially with luggage . Take a taxi! It will only be about $30.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM

One thing you possibly haven't considered is having someone buy your metrocard for you ahead of time and mailing it to you in time for you to use them.

For the unlimited ride metrocards, the clock doesn't start ticking until your first use, not when you buy them.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Hello nyer

Actualy if you pay with coins on the bus the transfer you get is absolutly good to transfer to the train (subway) I live here in NY. and do it all the time. You just swipe it at the turnstile and it will register and you go through if not as sometimes the turnstile doesn't read it well and this happenes with the plastic metrocards also you can hand it to the token clerk and they will buzz you through the gate.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 01:03 PM

I forgot to mention the only drawback to the paper transfer is they are time stamped and are void in a couple hours and if you get them wet forget about using them.
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 01:04 PM

This thread is from May 2008
Old Feb 9th, 2012, 01:29 PM

Yes, kenbad, this thread is almost 4 years old and the information was correct at that time .

In case anyone is interested, The MTA website still officially says that paper transfers you receive when paying a bus fare in cash are only good for bus to bus transfers, not bus to subway. What works on any specific turnstile or what a "token clerk" allows (if you can find them, many station entrances are unattended these days)is not guaranteed to work.
(And I live here too, but I usually use an unlimited Metrocrad so I have little first hand experience with bus paper transfers)