Driving from Las Vegas to San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, my wife and I will be in Las Vegas for a couple of nights and want to drive through to San Francisco. This will be in July 2019.

Ideally I don't want to drive more than say 6 / 7 hours per day so would like to stop over at two locations and hopefully take in some of the natural beauty. I was thinking of one stop in Sequoia National Park and then another night in Yosemite. I am looking for recommendations on the route to take as well as any nice lodges / accommodation offerings.

Thanks in advance,

Steve
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 08:02 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It is very (VERY) late to find accommodations in Yosemite or Sequoia. Especially for Yosemite - any available places will likely be 1.5-2 hours from the Valley. Plus it will be VERY crowded. Plus the leg from Vegas to Sequoia is VERY hot and pretty ugly plus they just had two massive earthquakes so things will be disrupted.

I'll make a different suggestion -- since you have 2 nights, drive up 395 and stop on night in say Bishop or maybe Lone Pine. And the second night at South Lake Tahoe.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 08:41 AM

I'd go with janisj's suggestion of taking 395. It'll be a much prettier drive. You could still visit Yosemite this way by entering via Tioga Pass if you can find accommodations. I'd start with the park concessionaire's site and see what's available for your specific date https://www.travelyosemite.com/ There's some scattered availability at Yosemite Valley Lodge and elsewhere in the valley. I don't know what you consider "nice" but don't expect luxury even at the Majestic.

Last edited by Patty; Jul 6th, 2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 09:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IF you can find a room in Yosemite Valley or in El Portal then go with patty's suggestion: north on 395, across Yosemite on 120' then over to SF.

If you can't find accommodations in those two specific places for Yosemite, I'd do he 395/Tahoe/SF option.
Old Jul 6th, 2019, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
With all the earthquake activity currently around Ridgecrest and up and down the Owens Valley, I'd stay clear of the 395.
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks people, this info combined with some other stuff I have read on the net has lead me to change plans and book a flight to SF.

From here though we drive up to Seattle and have about 7-9 days to do it in, any suggestions?

Steve