Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Driving from LA to Chicago...help please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to move across country from Los Angeles to Chicago, and am, to put it mildly, OVERWHELMED by the logistics involved in moving across the country. I am on a limited budget, which wouldn't be as much of a problem if I wasn't on a very tight timetable as well. I can't leave LA until the morning of August 9, and have to be in Chicago by the evening of August 12. Is three days enough time to drive to Chicago (without any relief drivers to help me out)? Or, should I bite the bullet and pay the $400 for one-way tickets to fly? (My father has generously offered to drive all of my earthly possessions out to Chicago by the beginning of September, so I don't have to worry too much about getting my belongings out with me). Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially pertaining to ways to how to do a roadtrip on the cheap or how to find cheaper airfare than $200/ticket one-way. Thanks for any feedback!
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:25 PM

You must fly, you can't do this drive by yourself. It's over 2000 miles! To drive 2000 miles in 3 - 4 days would require 500-700 miles per day, just not do-able. That would cost you $150 for gas, anyway.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 05:53 PM

If you drive from the morning of August 9 to the evening of August 12, that will give you four days of driving, not three. Not that that is much improvement.

I'm a single woman and I drove solo from Columbus, Ohio, to San Francisco in 3-1/2 days, which is about the same timeframe and distance you are traveling. However, the fact that you have so little leeway in your schedule is an issue. If you should have car problems along the way or encounter a delay for any reason, you will not make it in time.

The other concern is what kind of shape you will be in once you arrive. It sounds as if you have an immediate engagement upon arrival (work?), without any time to rest and recuperate from the cross-country trip. Even though I did a trip similar to the one you are considering, I had a few days to recover before I had to report to work.

You admit to feeling overwhelmed, so having to drive so far in such a short time will only add to your stress level. Moreover, you may be tempted to push yourself while tired and sleepy, which increases your chance of having an accident.

Unless you absolutely need your car with you your first few weeks and can squeeze at least one more day for the drive, I second the recommendation to fly.

Old Jul 26th, 2003, 08:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To get that $200 fare you'll have to buy the ticket a week in advance so you've got about a week to decide.
Old Jul 26th, 2003, 10:21 PM

I did the drive in the opposite direction when I moved from Chicago to LA in the summer of 1999. My husband did the drive in June then I did the drive in July.

We both managed to make it in about 2 1/2 days. I drove from sun up to sun down each day. I didn't stop very often, only when needing to use the restroom, gas up, or eat. I made sure to find a secure hotel (with inside hallways, no room doors opening to the outside) before the sun went down so I would be safe. You can never be too cautious when travelling alone.

I drove the northern route--from Chicago across Illinois through Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada, then CA and averaged well over the speed limit most of the way. Iowa is surprisingly beautiful; it was Nebraska that bored me to tears! And Colorado is just exhilarating!

So, it can be done! I just depends on your stamina and your willingness to speed, I guess.

As for the moving of the possessions, we used a company that dropped off a trailer in your driveway, then you packed it all up, then they drove it across the country and you had to unpack it at the other end. Less money then conventional movers and still some work, but much better than trying to haul or drive a U-haul across the country!

Good luck in Chicago--it's a great city! I miss it...