Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

DRIVING from D.C. to Denver -- ANY ROUTE suggestions?

Nov 8th, 1997, 08:05 PM
Shana Solomon

Hi
My fiance and I will be moving to Denver and will be driving from Washington D.C. We'll have 7-10 days to do the trip and were wondering if anyone had any route suggestions (or routes to avoid) or *must see* attractions?
We are more interested in scenery and outdoor places to explore than directness or speed.
THANKS!

Nov 9th, 1997, 03:37 PM
Alan

You didn't say when you are going. Have made this drive round trip countless times and have tried about every possible way. Best route and most scenic is: I-66, I-81 south, I-64 (takes you thru WV KY IN IL)to St Louis and I-70 across MO, KS into Denver. Scenery from Kansas City to Denver a little sparse since there isn't too much vertical. However, during the winter Kansas and eastern Colorado can get pretty nasty out on the plains. In the spring and summer it can be quite pretty in a different sort of way. If you are going in the dead of winter you may want to go south on I-81 to I-40 and then up I-25 into Denver. Little less likely to run into major snow. Kentucky, St.Louis and Kansas City are all interesting spots. Remember to watch your gas tank cause there aren't gas stations every 50 yards like here in the East. Enjoy. It isn't a bad drive at all. E-mail if you want specifics.

Nov 12th, 1997, 04:43 PM
Scott

The time if year you are travelling is vital. I echo the above comments, but with a couple of twists-if you're travelling in winter, why not zip down the southern route to Louisiana and over to Texas. You have enough time to do New Orleans, and the Gulf Coast. If it is summer, do the northernmost route, and hit the badlands of south Dakota, off of I 90. Or zip up to northern Minnesota, and visit Voyageurs National Park. Maybe even the Northwest Angle. A road trip! I wish I could do the same!