Driving from Chgo to Memphis to Dallas this weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be heading to Dallas this weekend (for Thanksgiving) and would like to take a side trip on the way there. We're thinking of going to Memphis to check out the Beale St. scene. Would like to stay downtown so we can walk there (will probably try booking the hotel on Priceline). Wanted to know if one night (Sat) and half the day (Sun) would be enough or should we stay the extra night (Sun). Not interested in Graceland but maybe Sun Studios or the Memphis Zoo. Would like to hear your suggestions of things to do, places to eat OR a suggestion for a side trip somewhere else. Thanks!
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 08:49 AM
cd

We are heading to Houston this weekend for Thanksgiving and coming from the Chicago area. We are stopping in Hot Springs Arkansas for 2 nights to have hot bath/massage at the Buckstaff Bath House and are staying at the Arlington. Coming back we are going to New Orleans for 2 nights and them up thru Memphis. Either route would work for you also. If you stay in Memphis, I would recommend the Peabody. It's a five star, central to Beale Street and a great place to stay. Go to their web site and I think you can get rooms for 139.00 night.
Old Nov 17th, 2003, 01:20 PM
MD4

The Peabody is the landmark hotel of Memphis- have heard the rooms are nothing special, but the lobby and everything else really is unique. Even if you don't stay there, be sure to walk through. Other hotel options in downtown include Hampton Inn Peabody Place (back up to Beale St), Radisson, Holiday Inn Express, Talbot Heirs Guesthouse, and a couple on court square, a little further from Beale, are the Sleep Inn and Springhill Suites.

If you have only one night for dinner and want a true Memphis experience, go to the Rendezvous for bbq. It's across the street from the Peabody (in the alley- not open on Sundays). Huey's is a local favorite for burgers. For eclectic, try Automatic Slim's.

Other things to do- take the trolley tour around downtown, great way to see the better part of it. Art galleries and a bar/restaurant or two can be found on the south end of Main Street. The zoo is right beside a great art museum, the Brooks Museum of Art. There might be a Grizzlies basketball game going on if you like sports. Other areas with fun bars/restaurants/unique shops are Cooper-Young and Overton Square (a few blocks from the zoo and art museum).
Also, the Pink Palace Museum has all kinds of various exhibits and an IMAX. There's also the National Civil Rights Museum where Martin Luther King, Jr was shot.

The Gibson Guitar museum and lounge sustained a lot of damage in a storm a few months ago, but if it's all open again, the lounge is a great music venue. A couple of blocks from Beale.

Hope this is helpful. Have a fun trip!

Old Nov 17th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your great suggestions. CD-Your roadtrip sounds awesome. We're saving New Orleans for a group getaway sometime in the near future. Have fun!!

MD4-Thanks for the info about the Rendevouz being closed on Sundays. That is one of the places we wanted to go for dinner.

Just booked our room. couldn't get anything on Priceline so we tried Hotwire and ended up getting the Radisson Downtown (exactly what I wanted). How is the Sun Studio tour? Any bars on Beale St that we have to go to or stay away from? Looking forward to our trip!! Thanks again.

HB
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 05:26 AM

In Memphis, besides Sun, there's also the new Stax Records Museum (where Otis Redding, Booker T and the MGs and other) started out. Just opened recently so I haven't been but they have a website.
http://www.soulsvilleusa.com/index2.cfm

By the way, last month the Zoo just became the 4th zoo in the US to get giant pandas.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:05 AM

Do not miss the National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis.

I went to Stax instead of Sun Studios & it was very interesting. I chose Stax because it was self-guided vs. guided tour at Sun. Sun is supposed to be very cool also.

If you prefer barbeque sauce on your ribs vs. dry rub (Rendezvous) you may want to try Interstate Barbeque restaurant.

Enjoy Memphis!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I just did the online tour of Sun Studio and it looks interesting. Has anyone been to the Smithsonian Rock n soul Museum? Could we get Sun Studio, Stax Records Museum, and the Smithsonian in all in one day (Sunday)? OR if you had to pick just one, which would it be? I'd love to get the zoo in too but time won't allow it unless it's something we must see. My mouth is already watering thinking about the BBQ.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 07:29 AM
MD4

Hey HB-
Memphis is my hometown and I'm envious of you going this weekend- I won't be there til Christmas. As far as going to all the museums on Sunday, they aren't that far apart, but the hours might be a problem. I looked at the Stax website and they are only open from 1-4 on Sundays. You might call each and see what the scoop is. Please report back if you go to any of them. I have not been to any, but would like to when I visit. Stax looks cool.

Try to pick up a Memphis Flyer, or visit online at www.memphisflyer.com. Free weekly newspaper listing all the entertainment going on around town.

As far as places on Beale, you can usually hear the music from inside just walking by, so follow your ears and check out what you like. BB King's often has great blues, but there are plenty others too. The Pat O'Brien's is just like the one in New Orleans- fire in the fountain and all- if you want a preview for your NO trip. And there's the Hard Rock, which believe it or not, often has good acts too. The east end of Beale gets a little sketchy- it is getting better because they are building the new arena for the Grizzlies across the street.

Have some bbq for me!

Old Nov 18th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Hey MD4-
Thanks! I'll be sure to post a trip report when I get back so make sure to look for it. I'm guessing we'll get to Memphis around 5 or 6pm on Sat. Plan on having dinner at Rendezvous then checking out the bars on Beale. Do most bands usually start later? Should be maybe check out the Peabody Entertainment Complex first? On Sunday I think we'll start at Sun Studio, have lunch (where should we go??) then go to Stax and then the Smithsonian. We'll probably need suggestions for dinner Sunday night too. And how about breakfast Monday morning before we head to Dallas? Thanks for your help so far.
HB
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 11:03 AM

Hi, again, hampsterbrain -- the Smithsonian Rock & Soul Museum was seriosly damaged in August due to I believe, a tornado (it is taller than most of the other buildings nearby & basically had its upper half sliced off). I would e-mail or call them directly for updates because their website may not be up to date on the reconstruction status.
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 02:13 PM
MD4

Hi again-
Yes, the evening starts a little later on Beale- 9ish or later- but if you don't get to the Rendezvous til say 7 for dinner, you'll have a wait anyway. Order the sausage and cheese appetizer- so simple, but so good!

You might walk through the Peabody complex, but it's pretty commercial. Isaac Hayes does have a restaurant/club there. And there's a couple other chain restaurants and bars. A few stores- Gap, Ann Taylor, etc.

Here's a web site to help with restaurants: www.memphismojo.com
Lists them by area of town and also cuisine.

A few lunch ideas:
Overton Square, Madison @ Cooper, has Memphis Pizza Cafe (self-explanatory), Boscos Squared (lots of different kinds of beer, good food) and Paulette's (french, brunch, dressy, but yum). There is another Huey's on Madison (often voted the best burgers in town, and I think the best potato soup).
For Mexican, Cafe Ole in Cooper Young. If it is open on Sunday, the Cupboard on Union has some of the best home-cooking. Actually, that's a caveat for all of these- being Sunday, be sure to call for hours.

Dinner, if downtown, Blues City Cafe on Beale (steak & variety), Automatic Slim's (eclectic), McEwan's (variety) or the Butcher Shop (steak). But again, check out the web site above for descriptions and locations- I'm sure you'll find lots you may want to check out.

Breakfast, the local midtown favorite is Barksdales, Cooper @ Peabody.

Enjoy- and I'll be looking for a full report when you get back!
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

MD4-
Thanks for the link to all the restaurants. I'm going to gain sooo much weight this trip! One more question, where's the best place for wet ribs? Just in case I don't care for the dry ones?
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 06:12 PM
MD4

The subject of many a fierce debate- I'm almost afraid to touch this one, but Interstate BBQ is a local favorite. I would also throw Neely's and the Barbeque Shop in the ring (all are in downtown or midtown). I wouldn't resort to Corky's unless you have to. It's OK, but has gotten so commercial it's lost some of its charm.

For more on this topic, do a text search here on Memphis or BBQ- there's a recent post, something about "Best BBQ- Corky's, Bennett's or Calhouns".

Also, in case you were not aware, the vast majority of bbq in Memphis is pork, not beef, the way it should be (sorry, it's the Memphian in me).
Old Nov 18th, 2003, 08:20 PM

Neely's is good so I'll give that a 2nd. Be aware if you try a BBQ sandwich that a Memphis thing is to put a pile of cole slaw on the sandwich. If that's not your thing, be sure to ask for it without.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Well, it's that time again. We are making the trip to Dallas and stopping at Memphis again along the way. When we wemt last, we stayed at the Raddison, tried the Rendevous (did not care for), Huey's (sounds silly but am REALLY looking forward to this burger again!!!) We also did the Sun Studio Tour and the Civil Rights Museum. I'm sure some things changed since our last visit. Anything else you can recommend? We're staying at the Marriott this time and plan on visiting the zoo.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM

When in Memphis, you have to order a fried pickle. I'm not kidding, they are popular menu items in the south.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 02:05 PM

I love Memphis and have been there at least 50 times over the last 20 years. As everyone else says, don't miss the BBQ. I realize you want to stay downtown for Beale Street but if you have a car, check out these other Q spots:

Cozy Corner - very near downtown Beale Street area. Only open during the day, yes it's not a great neighborhood. However, you'll die and go to heaven after eating their BBQ'd cornish game hen...good enough to suck the bones!

The BBQ Shoppe, Midtown - very good sandwich, eclectic locale.

Germantown Commissary - I like the sandwich, ribs and tamales.

Central BBQ - Everything's pretty good.

Tops - Now many afficienados may scoff at Tops because they have a dozen or so locations but, the sandwich along with a Coke with perfect ice is great. On my way to/from the airport, I always go to the Tops at Getwell and Rhoades.

God, I'm so hungry!!!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Why not try another route this time? The fast route between Chicago and Dallas is via I-55/I-44/US69/US75.
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 07:42 PM

boungiorno - My DD and I are thinking about going to Memphis the first week of February. She is going for some auditions and I will tag along to do some sightseeing. She will have evenings free so we want to check out Beale St and some of the restaurants. I was checking out downtown hotels on tripadvisor and it seems like most of them get pretty bad reviews. Our budget is in the moderate range so the Peabody would be out unless they are offering a deal. Do you have any suggestions for moderate hotels? I would be willing to try Priceline but the selection didn't look that great. I would also prefer to have two separate beds but might take a chance on that if the price is right. Thanks.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm drooling right now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -