Reload this Page >

Driving Directions Fort Myers/Disney

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 04:54 PM
trish

We are travelling from Fort Myers to Disney. Have done before I-75 to I-4. However, I am getting mapquest and aaa directions to take I-75 to Rte 17 to I-4. Any advice. I am looking for the shortest/quickest route. Thank you in advance.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 05:22 PM
bubba

It's called mapquest.com

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 08:14 AM
Len

I'm not familar with route 17 and have traveled from South Florida to both the Tampa and Orlando areas many times. It may be the most direct route, but it surely won't be the fastest!

Old Mar 7th, 2002, 02:15 PM
trish

Len, When you say it won't be the fastest route, are you saying I-75 to I-4 won't or Rte 17 won't. I have posted the same question on AOL and 2 responses say to the 75 to 4 route saying 17 is all lights, different speed limits, etc. Thanks for any input.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Len

What I meant was that Route 17 is not a main 4-6 lane highway which means it will likely have stretches of only two lanes and traffic lights and lots of truckers. It might be fewer miles overall, but it won't be the fastest way. From Boca we've tried cutting across 60, 70 and 80 to get over to my parents, who live in the Clearwater area. All of those ways suck! Now, we take the Alley across to 75, then 75 straight up to the beach area bridges. It's a little longer miles wise but much faster. You should stick with your old route of 75 to I-4.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 07:46 AM
trish

Thank you!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 06:53 AM
trish

Question if any knows. I just got a reply on AOL travel to take 75 to 80 (LaBelle) and follow to 27 then go north and it will take you directly into 4. I need help, does anyone know this route? Thank you in advance.

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:11 AM
OliveOyl

Trish, I would stick with the interstate where you can make good time at 75 mph. That last route has you picking up 80 in Ft Myers (!) and taking secondary roads all but about 25 miles of the trip. Utter punishment!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:14 AM
Postal

I drove from Orlando to Clermont to Ft. Myers via Rt. 27 about a year ago. What a terrible mistake! Even though Rt. 27 is four lanes, it's filled with trucks,little towns, and a million traffic lights. I could have made the trip in four hours or a little less using I-4 and I-75; instead it ended up taking nearly six hours!

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 07:59 AM
trish

Thank you. I think it sounds like we should stick with 75 to 4. We will be travelling in the evening so traffic should be fine. I think your right in 75 mph on an interstate.