drive or fly to vail from pa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staying at Vail for 3 weeks 12/20- Jan 7; have flight but wondering if I should drive - has anyone doen that from PA to Vail? Any advantages?
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 09:31 AM

I've done both.

Advantages of flying:

- takes hours vs. days

- less expensive (counting gas, food, lodging, the unexpected)

- much safer

Advantages of driving:

- potential for scenic/personal experiences much greater at ground-level

- done at your own pace and not dictated by airline restrictions (time schedules/luggage/etc)

- more memorable

- more fun (if you have a comfy/reliable car and like to drive)

Old Dec 13th, 2003, 10:16 AM

addendum -

flying advantages: infinitely easier in the long run, even considering airport hassles

driving advantages: you will have your own transportation once you arrive; no need for rental car
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KS. Yes, I think I have found that renting a car would not be that much more expensive than driving out- but, the adv of driving vs flying is that I do have that flexibility. I was thinking of driving to Chicago day 1 & stay with friends; then, to around Kearney NB next nite; & then to Vail by 3rd day. Is this to unrealistic? I have a 2002 saab with new snow tirers that I have been dying to drive out there; but the convenience of the flight is weighing heavily on this as well!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 11:29 AM

That's realistic. Sounds good - but factor in a buffer-day extra just in case. Have a good atlas and study the routes you want to take, looking up points of interest on the net. Last time I drove, I stayed off the interstates and drove nearby highways instead. That was really enjoyable as you go through all kinds of dinky towns. Takes much longer of course.

I would opt for the road trip. Don't mean to scare you, but I also drive a Saab and had the fuel pump go out this week - a nightmare to say the least! ($485 for the fuel pump + 1 hour labor at $89/hr). I wasn't ripped-off either - that's the going rate according to my Swedish mechanic [I was out of the area and called him with the details]. I'm sending pictures of the old fuel pump in my Christmas cards to explain why people shouldn't be expecting presents this year!

Have a wonderful and safe journey.
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Bummer about your fuel pump.. that would curtail part of my journey to Vail for sure! Mine is a 2002 and I think still under warrentee. But my stereo (at home) just went on the blink and shuts off when the cd begins to play!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Plus... I just was laid off from my job... I may never have this kind of time again to just take off in my car like this! No time restrictions really...except to make it home in time for my trip to Italy at the end of Jan!
Old Dec 13th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Well then, Jill, your quandary is not so great afterall - hit the road and don't look back. You will always recall aspects of a driving trip, whether good or not-so-good. Not only will you get to see friends in Chicago but you'll also see some pretty countryside and have fresh tales to tell curious Italians when they ask about America (and they will). Again, have fun.
Old Dec 14th, 2003, 07:04 AM

As I just got back from getting bagels and almost skidded off the road....I would NEVER attempt a drive to Vail from PA in the heart of winter!!
Man, get a good airfare and a rental car package!

Good Luck!

John
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Well, just thought I might update my post. I never saw the bagle post; if I did I may not have done what I did. I ended up driving; was exhausted to beyond the point of safety, but, did get to visit my best friend in Chicago. Our Mom's were pregnant with us at the same time- 42 yrs ago. The drive was hairy at best going from PA thru Ohio; and I did make it to Chicago 13 hrs later that first day- but I was a basket case! However, the trip to Vail was extended in part due to the car; I have rented an incredible home in Cordillera; and looking to stay long term. Still have go back tho; and looking to ship the car. I have been at my house in the East 3x since I left on 12/17; and don't miss it at all. Yesterday it was 70F. here in Vail. Every day has been a priveledge and an adventure. My car is great; going to Denver tomorrow to get ready for the trip back; which will be for the purpose of packing up my house and moving! Anyone else done the same???
Old Apr 18th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Hi: No advantage at all. It's hard to park in Vail. I took an inexpensive taxi to and from the airport. No problems at all. Just use High Mountain taxi- www.hmtaxi.com You can make your reservation over the web

Mike