Drive from st. george utah to page arizona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2009, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I may be in the St. George Utah area for a meeting and I have always wanted to visit Antelope Canyon. I am a "flatlander" from the deep south, and I am a bit nervous about the drive, plus I may be there last week in December and concerned about snow - have rarely driven in snow. Suggestions?
Old Nov 19th, 2009, 10:14 PM

Antelope Canyon is amazing and totally worth the trip. I looked at the terrain map on Google and you don't drive over any passes, and you might get a light dusting, but it's pretty dry there.

You should go, in the snow, you just need to drive carefully, but I doubt you'll hit much snow.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 02:50 AM

Will you have just one day for this only or do you want to do a couple of other things in the area?
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 04:17 AM

We did a half day smooth water raft trip on the colorado river from Glen canyon dam to Lee's ferry with an outfitter in Page then went to Antelope canyon in the afternoon. I'm not sure they do that in December but it was a great trip. We went in September and afternoon was fine for nice color in the canyon. The sun will be lower in Dec, so you might want to hit it nearer noon. I have a few pictures at www.flickr.com/photos/emalloy2009/sets in the 2008 set I think. The upper Antelope trip only takes an hour or so from the parking lot on route 98 a little south east of Page.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 08:46 AM

We have done that drive in winter many times and never seen a bit or snow. Its a very easy drive.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 09:07 AM

According to mapquest is 3 hrs drive but with the spectacular scenery will take you longer. The best time of day to be in upper Antelope is 11-2pm in early spring, so can't tell you if the sun will be overhead of the slot in late Dec. You want to have a sunny day to visit to see the vivid colors on the rocks. Do not take photos which include any sky as it will fool your camera and underexpose the scene. Do not use a flash as this will wash out the reflected light you are trying to capture.
The highest point on your trip will be the Aquarius Plateau, so you might want to call the intragency visitor center in Escalante to check on road conditions 435-826-5499 or the local chamber of commerce 435-826-4810.
Be sure to stop at the trailhead which is at the Escalante River bridge which crosses Hwy 12 outside of town of Escalante and look for the ruins and rock art on the walls of the canyon.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM

plus I may be there last week in December and concerned about snow - have rarely driven in snow. Suggestions?

There is a small chance of snow but most likely roads will be clear. Elevation is the key, most of this route is probably around 5,000 ft. Typically we get a few storms dropping the snow level down to 4,000 ft but most of the time you won't get snow below 7,000.

I would NOT drive this route if the roads are icy or if there is a storm. I'd wait until shortly before the trip and then check the road conditions in southern Utah and northern AZ and go if the roads are clear (which they probably are on this route about 80-90% of the time).

Also you want clear, sunny weather at Page or the slot canyons are not worth viewing. As Photodog mentions, the beauty of these canyons is due to the reflected light and if it is overcast then it's very dark in there.

Be sure to stop at the trailhead which is at the Escalante River bridge which crosses Hwy 12 outside of town of Escalante

There is absolutely no reason to drive this far north (and out of your way, plus much higher elevation with more chances of snow) when driving from St. G to Page. Take Highway 9 thru Zion National Park to US 89, then take this south to Page. Escalante is nowhere near this route.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 12:53 PM

And be prepared to pay the $25 entry fee for the privilege of driving through the park.
Old Nov 22nd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the wonderful replies! What I plan to do if fly in a day early - flying into Vegas, then driving from Vegas to Page - weather permiting. Spend the night in Page and go to Antelope Canyon the next day, then drive back to St. George for the meeting.

Any other suggestions would be welcome!