Drive from San Fran to San Simeon to Ana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How long really is the drive from downtown San Fran to San Simeon to Anaheim? What is the best way to go? I realize some ways are scenic others might be faster. Is there a way that is scenic and quick and with a stop at Hearst castle less than ten hours of actual driving assuming little traffic?
Ken
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:54 PM

If you intend to go all the way to Anaheim, I do not think that you can do it in less than 10 hours of driving when passing by Hearst Castle via the scenic route (highway 1, at least from Montery to Morro Bay),
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:32 PM

I think the quickest route would be Hwy 101 south to the turn off to Cambria (Hwy 46, I believe). Then from Cambria head north on Hwy 1 to San Simeon. After Hearst Castle, head south on Hwy 1 to San Luis Obispo and connect back up with Hwy 101 south. Contiue on 101 south into the LA area.

SF to the Cambria turn off I think it about 3 hours, maybe a hour from there to San Simeon, 30 minutes to an hour down to SLO, and then 3 hours from SLO to LA. I've never actually done this route as stated, but I'm familiar with the area and this is probably the route I would take if I were doing this.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:44 PM

We went from San Francisco to San Simeon to Palm Springs in one day. We took the scenic 101 route. We were driving a Ford Aerostar Mini-van(rear wheel drive). By the time we got to San Simeon, I felt like my hands were welded to the steering wheel. You will have to leave very early in the morning to make this work(6:00AM?). Plus you will hit some real nasty traffic on your way to Anaheim. It's doable.
JoeG
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 02:31 PM

Just for clarification, not trying to be picky - the scenic route along the coast through Big Sur is Hwy 1. Hwy 101 is inland and follows a valley just on the east side of the coast range. This route is fairly scenic too with rolling hill, oak trees, vinyards, and farmland, but it isn't the spectacular coastal scenery of Hwy 1. Hwy 1 is a narrow, twisty road that hugs the cliff. Hwy 101 is a 4-6 lane freeway.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 03:34 PM

And the purpose of this trip is...? To see how many speeding tickets you can collect in one day?
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 07:16 AM

J Correa,
You are correct sir! I meant Hwy 1. No need to worry about speeding on this route. My advice to the driver is to keep your eyes on the road at all times. Leave the sightseeing to the passengers.
JoeG
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:07 AM

Hi Ken,

Just let me add a few thoughts. We have a house in Cayucos between Cambria & Morro Bay. We have taken Route 1 many times. It is an unforgetable drive: Big Sur (of course), Jules Pfieffer Park and many places to stop and picknic on the cliffs.

If you plan to leave SF on a weekend (Fri. & Sat.), there is a bottle neck on Hwy 101 that you will most likely hit with a lot of congestion around Morgan Hill/Gilory. However, we still taken 101 south to Salinas, west on 68, and then Route 1 from Monterey/Pacific Grove.

Our primary residence is in LA, and the drive from San Luis Obispo to Ventura is very scenic also.

Take your time, if you can . . . you won't be disappointed.
Old Jan 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM

I recently made the trip from San Jose to Cambria, via HWY 1. If you are driving to get somewhere, go 101, with the turn off at Cambria. If you are the type who wants to enjoy the trip, definitely take Hwy 1, making a stop or two between Big Sur and San Simeon. "On A Clear Day You Can See Forever". Definitely Beautiful. But not for those who are pressiing themselves to get to their desitination.

A stop at San Simeon will add 2 hrs + to your trip. Any tour will take 1 1/2 hrs, and you can't get up there without paying for a tour.

If you take the 5 south, you will make excellent time, and might want to hit San Simeon on the way back. Just a suggestion. Have fun!

Old Jan 27th, 2004, 09:15 AM

IMHO you would be forever sorry if you don't take Highway 1 to San Simeon. It is one of the most beautiful drives in all of US.. The most scenic is from Monterey to San Simeon..I wonder if it would save time if you went from SF to101 to Salinas and crossed over to Monterey? and then down "1"
Interesting to see what other posters think of this..
In any case, you will have to leave VERY early.
Good luck.
Old Jan 28th, 2004, 07:59 PM

I've gone from SF to Monterey over 17, going down 101 past Gilroy and using highway 1. The length of the trip is about the same whichever road is taken. Once past Half Moon Bay, one zips along Highway 1 at 60+ MPH, except on weekends.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:44 AM
Original Poster

Michael, I really appreciate this response, it sounds great. Can you tell me more exact directions. I am not that familiar with California. I could look at a map but Monterey etc. is all relative to me. Could you lay it out more specifically, if not, I will do my best and appreciate what I have so far.
Thanks
Ken
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 08:39 AM

I'm not Michael, but I am familiar with all the routes so I thought I would chime in.

Hwy 1 from SF to Monterey: From downtown, get on Hwy 280 south. Take the Hwy 1 south/Pacifica exit. Follow Hwy 1 all the way down to Monterey. In Santa Cruz you will go directly through the west side of town on Mission St, but it's easy and well marked, just follow the signs. After a few miles the highway turns into a freeway.

Hwy 17 route: From downtown SF, get on Hwy 280 south and continue into San Jose. Take Hwy 17 south toward Santa Cruz and follow this over the hill into Santa Cruz. Take Hwy 1 south toward Watsonville and continue to Monterey.

Hwy 101 though Gilroy: From downtown SF, take either Hwy 280 or 101 south toward San Jose (101 is a more direct shot, but 280 is more scenic and a nicer road and links up with 101 in San Jose). If you take 280, in San Jose, take the 101 south exit toward Gilroy. At Prunedale, take Hwy 156 west, then Hwy 1 south to Monterey.

Even with good directions, make sure you have a map for your trip.
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

J Correa, thanks so much for the response. My objective is to go a way that is fast and scenic form downtown SF to Hearst Castle to Disneyland. Is the above mentioned the best way to go? If so, thanks
Ken
Old Jan 29th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Fast and scenic are contradictory terms in this instance. As mentioned before, and well outlined by J Correa, the three itineraries to Monterey still have you take 1 down the coast to Hearst Castle. That will not be fast. Perhaps the best way for you to go to Hearst Castle is to take 101 to San Luis Obispo, go back to Morro Bay and north to Hearst Castle. That would be the fastest way, and 101 is still nicer than I5.