Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Drive from Chgo to Tampa in bad weather!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our road trip from Chicago to Florida was to begin on 1/21 but the Weather Channel has us scared to death. Our intended route is 57 thru Illinois to 24 and stop for the night in Calhoun then proceed to 75 South.
Does anyone have any suggestions for this route in difficult weather???

We are two seniors including our senior 13 y/o terrier.

Thanks so much for all help,
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 07:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Mapquest route shows going down I-64 through Indianapolis to Nashville as the quickest route. I don't know whether Illinois does any better job of clearing the Interstates than Indiana. If you have good snow tires and experience you should be able to reach Nashville in about 9 hours driving time. If visibility or traction becomes an issue, get off and find shelter. Pack emergency food for you and the dog just in case no matter which route you choose.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM
JJ5

My kids took 57 consistently in all the years and in all weather when they attended Southern and U.of I. Champaign and also when DD lived downstate IL.

They keep this highway cleared and honestly, I cannot remember an era when it was closed or stopped for any significant length of time. And I can remember that happening in Iowa, IN etc. much more consistently.

This is the 20th of Jan. and we have had nothing but flurries for days. With minimal, minimal real accumulation. There is not the large accumulation that there is in the snowbelt (NW INDIANA which gets lake effect)strips at all in IL proper, right now. Especially in downstate below Chicago, because it was raining last weekend and it all nearly vanished.

Tonight is supposed to be cold- very cold. I doubt you will have any trouble at all re snowfall.

What I would do is make sure you have adequate clothing and layers (gloves, hats, boots)so that if your car broke down you would be able to maintain your body temperature for the time before help arrived. If you have a cell phone- that would not be long.

Don't fret because the roads are clear right now, completely. Even side roads have little snow on the sides. If 18 inches came Saturday (and it isn't)- you'd just have a wait an hour or so somewhere until they got it off.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Tomorrow is going to start out at 8 degrees.. and our concern is not only snow but the dreaded ice. Anyone travel 24 during the winter?
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 08:27 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Make sure your cold weather home is secure for the winter. It's no fun to find your pipes have frozen and are now leaking.
8 degree ice has much more traction than 29 to 33 degree ice.
Where people get in trouble is driving too fast when the snow is blowing across the road and running into someone who is stopped without lights or 4 ways on.
Pack some winter clothes in addition to your Florida wardrobe.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

what felt like a good idea is a nightmare..all three of us (dog included) keep bumping into each other as we pack and unpack and reread our lists. I'm getting concerned about Georgia.

Thanks all
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:41 AM

It will be in the low 40's tomorrow in Calhoun. I don't think you should be concerned about Georgia.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 11:55 AM

In Tennessee: Nashville's supposed to get anywhere between 1-3 inches. My gut says it won't be a major deal, but I could just be cynical from years of living in the South. *If* we do get a decent amount of snow, the biggest place you should be concerned about in Tennessee, once you get past Clarksville, is Monteagle Mountain. It's the first place along 24 to have issues in bad weather. Here's a link to the TDOT map - you can add layers for traffic, wrecks and road conditions.

http://ww2.tdot.state.tn.us/tsw/smartmap.htm
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again..I feel more at ease with everyones insight and support.
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 05:54 PM

lucci - Nashville actually did get some "significant" snow (of course, "significant" is all how you define it!). The streets are really wet tonight - TDOT did salt the interstates and major roads, so by the time you get here you should be OK on those. But it's supposed to only be 28 for the high tomorrow, so do keep an eye out for icy spots coming through. Have a good, safe trip!