Drive Boise to Yellowstone, HELP please!

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Drive Boise to Yellowstone, HELP please!

We are flying into Boise mid May. Will rent a car to drive to Yellowstone and must be back in Boise 6 days later. What route to take? What to see along the way? Where to overnight? All suggestions and advise is most appreciated!! Thank you!!
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 03:50 PM

You can take US 20 until you see signs for West Yellowstone, or take US 20 to Dubois, go north on I15 to Moneda and then take the S. Valley Rd. east through the wildlife refuge until you come to populated areas to head north to West Yellowstone.

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 04:25 PM

If you take 20, you'll pass Craters of the Moon National Monument on the way. Are you asking where to stay for Yellowstone or do you already have reservations? The drive from Boise can be done in one day. If you don't already have reservations, in park lodging starts to open on May 1st https://www.yellowstonenationalparkl...summer-lodges/ There are also accommodations in the gateway towns of Gardiner or West Yellowstone. You could consider two bases as the park is large. Are you interested in Grand Teton?
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both! Patti we are arriving in Boise mid-day so hopefully can drive 3-4 hours the first day. Not sure which route to take or where to stay the first night. Then a day or two in Yellowstone. Driving back to Boise should we take the same route? What towns or sights are interesting along the way? Again, I thank you for your time!!
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 08:34 PM

There is a small museum in Rigby ID devoted to Philo Farnsworth, inventor of television. Arco ID had the first public electric generated by nuclear power.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 12:24 PM

If you want a scenic 3-4 hour drive, I'd take 21 to Stanley and then 75 down to Ketchum https://goo.gl/maps/2ZzaooQpJnYpZeNB9 You can spend the night in either Stanley or Ketchum depending on how far you want to go. This is a beautiful drive through the Sawtooth Mountains and over Galena Summit. The following day continue south on 75 to 20 stopping at Craters of the Moon along the way.

Where are you staying for Yellowstone? Are sure you only want a day or two there? Are you planning to go to the Tetons too?

A lot of southern Idaho is flat farmland. If you have time for another detour, City of Rocks National Reserve is interesting and you make a quick stop at Shoshone Falls (the city of Twin Falls itself isn't particularly interesting) https://goo.gl/maps/UkAGPoSe18reXgUv5

Stanley, Idaho

Pettit Lake

Galena Summit

Craters of the Moon

City of Rocks

City of Rocks
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Patty, this is SO HELPFUL! Thank you!
Looks like we will drive to Stanley or Ketchum first day, then head East. Does it make sense to drive thru Idaho Falls then Jackson, then head north thru Teton Natl Park ... continue thru Yellowstone, then head west again and back to Boise?
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 02:14 PM

The Tetons are stunning. If you head there first, I'd spend a night in Jackson or inside the park. Otherwise it will be a long day up to Yellowstone. I mapped it from Ketchum to Old Faithful but if you're coming from Stanley add an extra hour and you're headed to West Yellowstone or Mammoth/Gardiner, you'll need to add another 1-2 hours https://goo.gl/maps/dz86C33UNLoZ5B8H7 Mid-May can still have late season snow storms which will slow you down. Signal Mountain Lodge inside the park runs an early season special in May and has a beautiful setting on Jackson Lake https://www.signalmountainlodge.com/...mber-special-2

You could also do it in reverse and head to Yellowstone first, then the Tetons on your way back.

Old Feb 14th, 2020, 08:47 AM

I'm sort of interested in why Boise was chosen as the arrival?
But do not miss the Tetons for sure however you get there.
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 09:46 AM

Agree with Patty 100%