Drinks With A View - Midtown Manhattan

Aug 24th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Drinks With A View - Midtown Manhattan

Looking for some suggestions for drinks with a view in midtown Manhattan at around 2 in the afternoon. Most of the roof top lounges seem to open between 4 - 5PM.

Thanks.
Aug 25th, 2010, 12:50 AM

>Lobby lounge of the Mandarin Oriental hotel 35th floor of the Time Warner building.
>the View restaurant/bar in the Marriott Marquis hotel
These are both enclosed. If you want something open air, the only others I can think of in midtown would be the low rooftops of Patroon & I think Smith & Wollensky has one too. Cafe Nicole at the Novotel in Times Square is on the 7th floor and has a terrace. They serve 3 meals a day but I'm not sure about drink hours.

The rooftop bar at the Gansevoort hotel in the meatpacking district is open all day I believe.
Aug 25th, 2010, 07:14 AM

mclaurie--you are the best,helped me beofre,and your knowledge of the city is incredible
Aug 25th, 2010, 07:48 AM

At that time of day, I think your best view will be at the Central Park Boathouse outdoor patio.
Aug 25th, 2010, 08:23 AM

One other option, the restaurant inside the Museum of Art & Design at Columbus Circle called Robert has outstanding views of Central Park. It's not so high (9th floor) but the location of the building makes the view divine. I think you could get a table for drinks at that hour. It's not far from the Mandarin Oriental. I agree the Boat House in Central Park is lovely too but you're on the ground.
Aug 25th, 2010, 08:32 AM

I like the View at the MM. The drinks are pricey, but the view is worth it - IMO.
Aug 25th, 2010, 09:21 AM

The lounge at the Mandarin Oriental is nice, but the best seats(the ones with the view of the park) are usually reserved for hotel guests.
Aug 25th, 2010, 06:32 PM

My favorite place is the Marriott Marquis Hotel on B'way and 44th Street. On the 8th floor there is a very nice Sushi bar and lounge area.

Have a Apple Martini for me.
Aug 25th, 2010, 06:59 PM

Olive Garden in Times Square; I know - but it has great views of Times Square.
Aug 25th, 2010, 08:50 PM

A view of what? Oh, roof top places.
Aug 26th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I'll check them out.
Aug 27th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie: We took your suggestion and had drinks at Robert, the view was one of the best we remember. Great view of Columbus Circle and Central Park, along with CPW and Bway.

Drinks were great and not that expensive considering the view. We also visited the museum - since we had never been there and enjoyed the exhibitions before drinks.

Again thanks to everyone for the suggestions, I'll keep them for future reference.
Aug 28th, 2010, 04:10 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed it. That view really astounded me when I got out of the elevator. You don't imagine it would be that grand from only the 9th floor. I'm glad your drinks were good (mine have just been ok). I love the museum too.
Aug 29th, 2010, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Hey guys, I thought I'd let you in on a view find. We had dinner at Sequoia last night and the views of the Brooklyn Bridge can't be beat. It's located on Pier 17 at the South Street Seaport and the outdoor tables are right on the water. There are lots of outdoor restaurants at the Seaport but Sequoia has the East most position and seems like the best view. Prices are moderate and the food is nicely presented, not gourmet but good. I saw some people were just having drinks. We got their in the daylight and stayed through dusk and into the night. Nice to see the bridge and Brooklyn in the different lights. The weather of course played a big part in the enjoyment. If you go in inclement weather, and sit inside, you still have a great view.

Tip: If you sign up for their loyalty card, (they have 9 restaurants in NYC and others in several other cities) you get a surprise, we got a free dessert and two coffees on the house.)

http://www.arkrestaurants.com/sequoia_nyc.html
Aug 30th, 2010, 04:56 AM

Had drinks on Thursday night at the top of the Peninsula. They've redone it as Salon De Ning. Prices were never cheap but they've managed to make them even higher. $66 for two martinis and a gin & tonic. (Not including tip.) Probably the last time I go there for awhile. The crowd reminded me of all the things I don't like about NYC.

Will have to try McLauries suggestion as I think the Peninsula just got a little to LA for me.
Aug 30th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Ryan: Drinks at Robert atop the Museum of Art and Design ran on average around $13 plus tax and tip. The best views are at the window tables opposite the elevators. Unfortunately you'll only get those tables from around 3PM to 5PM particularly if you are only having drinks. They like to serve desserts and light eats with the drinks. When we indicated we would walk, we got the best table in the restaurant.

You know, squeaky wheel gets the earl (as we used to say in Brooklyn).

We did the top of the Peninsula years ago and it just didn't do it for us. The most expensive drinks we've had we're at the now closed Rainbow Room. It was about 10 years ago, and the drinks were $15 and up, which at that time seemed over the top. If you wait long enough, inflation makes everything seem reasonable.
Aug 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM

ink 48........653 11 ave....it is a kimpton hotel... the view west is the hudson and the view east midtown. i think the rooftop bar is on the 16th floor. nothing between you and midtown.
we had a great time there .... it was a WOW