Reload this Page >

Dress Code for Carnegie Hall?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:00 AM
goingtoNYC

I will be in NYC in a couple of weeks and will be attending a concert at Carnegie Hall. This will be my first visit to the Hall. Is there a dress code? is it any different than if you were attending the theater? Thanks in advance.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:15 AM
sss

I don't think so. I am usually in rear balcony. I think if you are in orchestra you might feel uncomfortable in jeans but I see it a lot in rear balcony. Enjoy! I worked at carnegie hall for year.

There is an extraordinary amount of history to that place. I would do the tour before your performance, walk around and read the photo captions of people who performed here, go to the rose museum, even pay attention if you are coming up on subway, 57th street stop has tiles that tell of the many performers that played there.

I think you can feel all of that energy of the past when you are in the hall. I have a subscription at the met that keeps me from returning to Carnegie, I really miss it. The acoustics are 100's better than the met.Read about this hall and then see if your time spent there is not more meaningful.

Who are you seeing at Carnegie.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:20 AM
xx

No difference from attending the theater.
These days almost anything goes.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Steve

Don't bring your &^%#!&@ cell phone, pager, beeper, or pda.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:46 AM
KG

DARK COLORS, AS MANY HAVE SUGGESTED NUMEROUS TIMES. CONCUR LEAVE THE CELLPHONE AT HOME.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:12 PM
goingtoNYC

Thanks for all yall's input. I will be seeing the St. Petersburg Philharmoncic performing Tchikovsky (sp?). I won't have to worry about leaving my cell at home as I have to be one of the few people left in the world who does not have one (beeper either). Hell I just got an answering machine a few years ago and refuse to get call waiting.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:18 PM
c

Hey,ya'll
When I go to Carnegie Hall, I do not wear jeans. I wear black pants and a top/sweater/that sort of thing.You will see people wearing jackets and ties and much more casual,whatever is comfortable for you.Have a great time~