Dress code for Broadway play

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:05 AM
iloveny

Dress code for Broadway play

What is the dress code for Broadway plays? I have tickets to a show on a Friday night and am unsure about what to wear. Don't want to stick out like a "tourist."

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:29 AM
Jim

you'll find tube tops to tuxedos. I'd wear "business casual" and maybe a jacket depending on the weather.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:38 AM
Glen

I agree with the business casual. By all means, be comfortable. Something to keep in mind; I've always found the Broadway Theaters to be rather hot and stuffy. I just saw Music Man, it was great!

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:42 AM
iloveny

Thank you for the feedback! Taking my niece to see Beauty and the Beast--got great tickets with a half-price discount from Playbill.com. Playbill is a great site--you should check it out.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:45 AM
Glen

I agree with Jim, however, keep in mind, the Broadway Theaters can be rather hot and stuffy.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 11:48 AM
Glen

Took the kids to see Beauty and the Beast last year. They loved it! Waited by the stage after the performance, and I was very impressed that many of the actors took the time to sit down on the steps and talk with the kids about the show.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 01:57 PM
Janie

I'm a jeans and sweaters kind of theatergoer myself--I like to be comfortable in the sometimes cramped sometimes hot theaters for 2 or 3 hours. The looking like a tourist part usually comes into play with people in logo t-shirts, shorts and fanny packs
everywhere in NY in the summer, but that won't be much of an issue right now. Besides, we're so happy to see tourists (who thought that day would ever come?) that maybe you should advertise your tourist-dom loudly! Seriously, come have fun, be comfortable in whatever you want to wear. If you're going out to dinner before or after the show, that would probably determine your dress code.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 02:05 PM
al

O.K., I'll fess up. I have never been to a Broadway play. Personally I find all that singing and dancing kind of goofy, but I know it's just me and there's no reason for anyone to comment on my "disorder".

I do, however, walk past the theatres every night on my way home and, as far as I can ascertain, there isn't a dress code. As long as you don't go in a t-shirt that says "I'm With Stupid" you'll be o.k.

Wear what you want, based on your comfort level and the impression you want to convey.

And please don't tell me I should go. NO WAY.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 04:13 PM
kenct

Yeah, singing and dancing is "kind of goofy, but if you take anything to it's logical extreme, it's kind of goofy, too. Poetry? Opera? Baseball? Bottom line is that the question regarded dress code, and to that end, I'd go with the folks who recommended business casual. As a big man in a small space, I usually go with slightly oversize slacks and a silk t-shirt, with a jacket, all in black, of course.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 04:58 PM
patty

Besides, Al, musicals (with singing and dancing) aren't the only Broadway offerings! OK the comedies can get goofy too, but then there are the deadly deadly serious plays - not many right now but you've got Dance of Death, Proof and Hedda Gabler. Ah but for the truly goofy one has to go off-Broadway for Puppetry of the Penis!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 01:43 AM
Parrot Mom

iloveny..how ahead were you able to get two-fers from Playbill? We are going by bus to NYC for a day and wont have a chance to try to get tickets.. We did see Beauty and the Beast in London and thought it was charming.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:03 AM
Rachel

Dress in black and you'll be fine.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 10:40 AM
Howard

Parrot Mom, each Playbill offer gives the date the offer expires. It could be one, two or three months ahead. Also, the plays will usually extend the offer once the expiration date arrives.

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 01:56 PM
iloveny

ParrotMom:

I received the Playbill email update with the offer on Oct. 15 and booked on the 16 for 2 tickets on Nov. 2. The offer I received included B & the Beast, Rent, and a few others--it "expired" on Nov. 4. But, based on the reply above, you can probably get the offer past Nov. 4. FYI--I ordered my tickets through Ticketmaster and just referenced the discount code Playbill listed.

Again--thanks to everyone for the great feedback. I suppose I'll just wear black and fit in quite nicely !

I just can't wait for this trip! We were supposed to go on Sept. 28, but decided to wait a little while longer--mainly b/c I'm taking my 12-year old niece and she was worried that something would happen. She's over it now and is just mad that we postponed the trip in the first place!