Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Dreamer2 back from 1st trip to California - Many thanks to all for the great advice!

Search

Dreamer2 back from 1st trip to California - Many thanks to all for the great advice!

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2004, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
We're just back, and I wanted to thank everyone for the great inside information that made our trip so spectacular. This was a fantastic 10-day "grand tour" of coastal California. It was hectic, but we really got to see a lot of the highlights of San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. The whole family had a blast! It was a perfect time of year to go, as all the flowers were in bloom, and crowds were very low. We also hit that great span of warm, dry weather.
I will review many of our experiences, priceline hotels, and restaurants in the near future, but am also happy to answer any questions for others on a similar quest.
Some of my favorite experiences: driving Big Sur, touring the Hearst Castle, the tram tour of Benzinger Vineyards, San Diego (all of it), and taking the Beverly Hilton's complimentary car (a BIG stretch limo) out to dinner at Spago! Teenage son's favorite was Alcatraz; daughter loved the vineyards and shopping at Horton's plaza. My husband also enjoyed the drive from San Simeon to Monterey best, even though he was driving! The countryside was so unique; we couldn't get enough of it. Favorite restaurants were in LA: Spago and Warszawa. Also found a great Italian restaurant in SD's Gaslamp: La Bocca.
Will return with more detail. But thanks so much again!
D2

Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Here's a quick review of our Priceline hotels:
HYATT LA JOLLA: Lovely 4* hotel booked at $55/night (website lists at $179). Valet Parking: $20/day
Best part: several great restaurants on site (Flemmings was incredible) and lovely pool area.
Negative: Terrible breakfast buffet/service; Would have preferred to have been right in the city proper (but not enough to pay triple!)
BEVERLY HILTON: My favorite of our stay! Booked 4* through PL at $75/night; lowest website rate is $179. Valet parking: $26/day.
Positive: Best service of our stay, and just incredible breakfast buffet. Love the complimentary "car" that zips you around Beverly Hills. Nice pool area. Great location.
Negative: Renovations are forthcoming, and the need is evident, especially in hallways. Lobby should be set up better for "people watching!"
SAN FRAN HILTON TOWERS: This 4* was the only hotel booked through PL that did not honor our "requests" for two connecting non-smoking rooms, one with king, one with 2 doubles. But for $65/night, which lists for $249/night, we weren't complaining. They did offer four continental breakfast coupons to compensate. Parking was $37 per day!
Positive: Gorgeous lobby, including great sports bar; great views from top(restaurant/bar). Wonderful spa!
Negative: We were in the oldest tower 3, and the rooms were worn. Tiny bathrooms.
DOUBLETREE SAN JOSE: This is a great 3* property, and just a few minutes from the airport. Paid $35 (yes, thirty-five - not a typo), and no parking fee, for the night there, which is listed on the website as $189. Had a huge room with two queen beds, and second sink outside bathroom. We were excited to use their pool area for our last afternoon, but it is under a huge renovation project and therefore closed. The whole place was very clean, but there was a "gummy bear" stuck on our curtain valance!
CAVALIER BEST WESTERN (San Simeon) - This was not booked through Priceline, and we paid $149 for a 3* "family room," which was 3 queen beds, one bathroom. It was tight. We were located just above the office, facing the restaurant. Parking was free. The hotel was clean and convenient, and right on the ocean. I wouldn't stay here for a vacation unless I had a room facing the Pacific. The restaurant was terrible for both dinner and breakfast, but the staff at both the restaurant and hotel were very friendly and helpful.
Hope someone will find this info helpful! If anyone is interested, I'll post restaurant and attraction reviews in the upcoming days.

Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:54 AM

Hi Dreamer. Thanks for the info. Here is my question. My H and I tend to use PL when it is just the two of us traveling. My understanding is when there are four, the cannot guanantee two beds. Have fears of showing up for the room and a king bed room is all they have left for us, and we have two teenage kids. Won't work. It sounds like you got around that a little bit by booking two rooms? COuld you elaborate a little on your PL strategy for a family of four? Could use the help...Thanks for the report.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 01:57 PM

Hi Dreamer,

Hope you will give us a detailed report. My husband and I are going to Ca. in Oct. and driving the coast. I would love to hear all about your trip. Thanks.

ladynole
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:52 PM

Dreamer2, I too, would love to hear more as I am planning a similar trip in July, but from SF to Hearst Castle. Would like more details about SF itinerary and driving the Big Sur Coast. We have also booked the Cavalier Best Western San Simeon. Did they have the bonfires they talk about? How's the pool? Can you walk along the beach there, or just look at it? I'd love to hear more when you get the chance!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:04 AM

Hi, would love to hear about where you ate around the san simeon-big sur-monterey area and any driving advice for the coast. Were the roads ok, any detours? We are off to that area in less than 3 weeks. Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:38 AM

I have to agree w/other posters with a big thank you for the info. We are planning a trip to SF and vineyards in August so am anxious to hear more! Also afraid to use priceline as there are 5 of us.....did you book far in advance and will they guarantee you the same hotel if you request two rooms? I've never used it before.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:25 AM

Just an FYI to anyone doing the Big Sur Highway 1 trip. Do not go if you are in any kind of hurry. The road is winding...on the edge of a cliff most of the way, and you will need to take your time. As much as I love it, I have to pull off frequently just to relax my hands because I find them clenching the wheel...lol. And you just never know who you will end up behind either. If there is someone in front of you who is cautiously making their way....there arent many passing opportunities. What is really a trip is when you are navigating a hair raising area and one of the locals whips past you in a little sports car...just a flying down that road. Amazes me!!!!!!!!! Its def worth a run though....I would tell anyone to experience it. When you get down into the valley where the state park is, there are many locals who live commune style there in the woods. We stopped into one general store and it was like going back into the sixties.
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:36 AM

bumping for Dreamer.
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys!
Thanks for your patience. I am in serious post-vacation chaos, and in a severe time crunch for the next couple weeks. However, I'd love to try to help by answering some of your questions.
First of all for Heavens and HBO6:
I had never used Priceline before, and relied heavily on the instructions and tips provided by BiddingForTravel.com. As far as separating your bid into two hotels, I don't think that's possible as long as you bid the two rooms together on the same request. There is a field for number of rooms, along with number of nights, and date of arrival.
As for the bed configurations, that's more chancy, and there are no guarantees. Basically, once I found out where we were going, I called the hotel a couple days later to confirm, and to request non-smoking, connecting rooms, one with 2 doubles, one with king. I also called again the night before arrival to confirm my special request. The only hotel that didn't come through was the Hilton Towers SF, but we had next door rooms not connecting, and 3 twin beds. So it still worked. However, we accepted the fact that if the rooms were not together, we might end with my daughter and I sharing a king bed on one side of the hotel, while Dad and son had doubles on another floor somewhere. Same thing when we booked our airport hotel. First I checked biddingfortravel and found out that the hotel most commonly assigned by Priceline was the Doubletree, and that the lowest it was going for was $35, Then I called Doubletree asked if kids were allowed to stay in the room with parents, since all PL bids are for up to 2 adults sharing a room. Then I crossed my fingers and bid, and it worked out great.
I will say, however, I would not use PL for a "resort" vacation where part of the vacation is a facility. But for a "touring" vacation when the hotel is just a place to put your head on a pillow - why not? I also played it safe by sticking to only one or two areas that I knew I wouldn't mind staying, and also to only 4* properties.
To Penne,
I agree with the previous poster about the drive. I do have a fear of heights, and that first hour north of San Simeon was scary. Lots of hairpin turns and very steep drops. The road conditions were good, no detours, just a few "fallen rocks!" There were many places for slow pokes to pull over, but I would never think of trying to pass anyone. The views at Big Sur proper were more sweeping, and just incredibly dramatic and beatiful.
For NYTraveler:
The Cavalier did do "bonfires," but they are are more like 5-6 chairs around a clay chimenee. I only saw the pool by the lobby and dining room, but it did look clean and pleasant. And yes, there is lovely beach access. You can walk right along the sand, or sit on benches above in the grassy area.
Also, our San Fran itin included:
Day One: Slept late, dim sum at New Asia (excellent and fun!), Alcatraz tour, carriage ride from wharf to Ghiradelli, ice creams at Ghiradelli ($27 for four - and although the sundaes and sodas are great, the milkshakes are thin), and that night we met friends at Rose Pistola. Although seeing our friends was one of the highlights of our trip, Rose Pistola was disappointing in its mediocrity.
Day Two: Sonoma. I accidently went backwards, but a good route would be to take the highway straight up to
Old May 4th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Ooops!
Day Two: Sonoma. I accidently went backwards, but a good route (thanks to RazzleDazzle!) would be to take the highway straight up to Santa Rosa (about an hour), and then Rt. 12 towards Sonoma. We stopped at Ledson, Chateau St. Jean, Benzinger (don't miss their wonderful tram tour which departs about every 30 min!), and Gloria Ferrar which offers tours at 12,2,4. This route would also put you in downtown Sonoma at the right time for lunch.
Day 3:
Golden Gate Park (don't miss the Japanese tea garden!), scenic drive, back to Embarcadero and stopped at Fog City diner before leaving town.

Also, someone had asked about eating on the coastal highway. We didn't stop to eat, but we should have stopped at Rugged Point about 20 min north of Hearst. We did eat dinner at the Montery Wharf. The Fisherman's Grotto was good. No complaints, but not outstanding.

Well, I think that covers it for now. I'll try to post more about San Diego and LA at the end of the month.

Old May 4th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Make that Ragged Point!
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:17 PM

What is Ragged Point? And where did you have lunch in Sonoma? Or did you say and I missed?

Thanks for info. Might try PL for family vacation this summer. Sounds like you were OK with all of your hotels.
Old May 4th, 2004, 01:51 PM

Hi Dreamer2! So glad you found the directions useful! It is also great to read about what sights you enjoyed.
Living here I can sometimes take my
lovely surroundings for granted-thanks for the trip throught your eyes.
R5
Old May 4th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Lunch at Sonoma was a bit messed up. I went the opposite way intended, and the GF noon tour was cancelled, so we were at the downtown too soon. We ended up getting a picnic at Chateau St.J; they had a nice outdoor patio for sitting near the gardens, but very slim pickings by 1m! (We got the last salad, last sandwich, last OJ, etc.) The Ledson deli seemed to have more once we got there, but oh well! Also, we had hoped to stop in Petaluma at the end of the day for an early dinner at the Girl and the Fig, but didn't want to have to drive back into the city after sitting for a couple hours. (It was the end of vacation, and everyone had spent just about enough time in car!)
Ragged Point is a pull-over just when you start ascending. I hear it has a nice restaurant and scenic porch for dining.
Old May 5th, 2004, 04:23 AM

Dreamer2 Thanks you so much for your answers. If you get a chance, I was wondering what time did you arrive for dim sum and and then what time did you reserve Alcatraz tour for afterwards? Thanks...your report is helpful!
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Hi NY!
We went to New Asia a little before noon (thanks, EasyTraveler, for that recommendation!), and I had made the reservation for the last run over of the day: 3:15. So that gave us time to figure out the cable car system over to the wharf, walk around, and check in at 2:45.
The wharf is very "seedy." If anybody from Mass/NH remembers Salisbury Beach from the 60's & 70's, that's what we're talking. Oh, that reminds me! The original Salisbury Beach carousel is in San Diego now. That was incredible for me to find out!
Old May 6th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

I also forgot to mention on our itinerary that we had driven down Lombard St. before heading over the bridge to the vineyards!
Old May 6th, 2004, 11:11 AM

Thanks Dreamer2 for taking the time for all the advice. One more question....did you take a city tour of SF and would you recommend it to get an idea of where everything is.
Old May 9th, 2004, 04:28 AM

Thanks for all the good tips. After flying into SF over the labor day weekend, we are planning a drive from San Francisco to Big Sur on September 7, our first trip back in 30 years. Did you see a restaurant called Rocky Point? It was right on the cliffs over the water and had the best food on the West Coast. At least at that time. Also, am tempted to splurge on Post Inn or something fabulous since it has been so long. Any suggestions? When we last went, it was to a little cabin, which was state owned and had deer grazing at dawn. So I am torn, but must have FABULOUS! I may not get back for another 30. : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -