drayton hall - charleston sc

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been here lately? Is this the best plantation to visit for a 1st timer to Charleston?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Monica
Old May 19th, 2004, 11:09 AM

Middleton is our plantation of choice.
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi Gretchen -

What makes Middleton better in your opinion?

Thanks,
Monica
Old May 19th, 2004, 12:41 PM

Another vote for Middleton Place. The house is a partial ruin, but the gardens are wonderful and so is the food in their restaurant.

Drayton Hall is an empty house famous for its architecture, but the grounds are small.
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:20 PM
MightyIsis

I've been to both, and if you have the time, see them both. They are close enough to make it convenient and different enough to make it worthwhile. Drayton is an empty house, which ironically allows you to visualize more about what life was like than if the rooms had been full of period furniture. Middleton is all about the grounds. I can't explain it to you, you just need to walk around there yourself. Plus there is a great little Inn and restaurant at Middleton.

Old May 20th, 2004, 05:18 AM

What I usually recommend to people is the Heritage Passport. For $32.95 it includes Gibbes Museum of Art, Nathaniel Russell House, Edmondston-Alston House, Middleton Place, Drayton Hall, Rhett House. What's nice is it really gives you a full sampling of everything architecturally speaking and you get a full spectrum from no restoration to fully restoration. As stated in the previous message Drayton Hall is empty and it it has been stripped to original walls so you need to use your imagination. The Nathaniel Russell House and The Edmondston-Alston House have been beautifully restored and furnished. They are also located in the historical district of Charleston, which you really want to walk around if you haven't done so before - it is beautiful. The The Aiken-Rhett House is an example of an urban plantation. Middleton has breathtaking gardens, the original home is now ruins, though a more recently built home exists as a museum on the property.
http://www.draytonhall.org/visit/passport.html
Old May 20th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Great advice above. I have been to most of the houses and all of the plantations around Charleston, and I agree with visiting both Middleton (the best overall) and Drayton. It really doesn't take more than 1 1/2 hours to visit Drayton. The Edmonston-Alston house is also my favorite. You can see descriptions of these places in my travelogues (lots of photos) at www.oneeyed.homestead.com.