Search

Downtown Denver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 06:40 PM
Tina

Downtown Denver

Which are the nicest hotels in downtown Denver. Luxury is nice but I also like the discounts you can get with the larger chains. Also, I will be in Denver for 2 days and looking for recommended activities, restaurants. Thanks

Old Jun 14th, 2000, 06:48 PM
David

Embassy Suites or Marriott are in good locations downtown.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 06:14 AM
John

I would check out the Westin Tabor Center or the Brown Palace. Both are luxury hotels downtown. if you are looking for a bit of fun, try the new Hotel Monaco which is a trippy boutique hotel that is still luxury.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 12:52 PM
Charles

YOu might try Adams Mark as well - well located chain.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 02:27 PM
KYW

For restaurants, you might try Chop House for a western atmosphere; Rialto's for European flare; Morton's for steak. You'll also want to stroll along LoDo (Lower Downtown) in the evenings for many restaurants, clubs and people watching. Have fun...

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 09:53 PM
Pam

Tina,

I live in Denver. What do you like to do and what type of food do you like to eat?

Pam

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 05:11 AM
tina

Thanks everyone for advise. We are arriving mid-week and finding the prices of downtown hotels too high. What is the Renaissance Denver on Quebec St. like? Also, we have heard about a restaurant called Casa Bonita. Is it worth checking out. It sounds like fun. We also like steak, Italian, Thai.

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 12:31 PM
Teresa

I would strongly advise against a Casa Bonita dining experience--the food is absolutely horrid (even my 11 year old son, who eats absolutely everything in sight, wouldn't eat the food when we were there) and you can stand in line for as long as 1 1/2 hours. NOT WORTH IT. Vesta Dipping Grill in downtown Denver is fun, different and recently voted one of the 10 best restaurants in Denver. Most dishes are served on scewers with dozens of dips to choose from--great place.

My daughter and I stayed at the Renaissance on Quebec last month when we were in Denver for a dance competition (only because the competition was close by). The hotel is adjacent to the now-closed Stapleton airport on what used to be the airport's "hotel row." The Renaissance itself is very nice but the location isn't convenient to anything (except dance competitions . I would recommend Loews Giorgio over the Renaissance--we love staying there and it's close to the Cherry Creek shopping area. Loews isn't in downtown Denver, either, though, if that's what you're looking for. Westin Tabor would be my choice for a downtown hotel. Have a great trip.

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 03:11 PM
gb

If you have a car, there are a couple of new hotels in southwest Denver that should have good rates. I believe there is a Residence Inn there, a Holiday Inn, and a suite La Quinta that looks real nice. They are about 15 miles from downtown. Not convenient if your business is in center city, but good if you are doing other kinds of sightseeing. Right near Highway #285. What kind of activities are you looking for? Indoor or outdoor? Downtown or in mountains?

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 04:33 PM
tina

Thanks all. Last year we passed through Denver and thought it was a city that we would like to see more of. This year we have 2 days to spend in Denver with no idea of really what to do or see. We will be hiking and outdoors for the following week so that is not something we want from the Denver area. What are some of the touristy things to do and see in Denver. We thought downtown might be the best place to stay to get a feel for the city but prices are high mid-week and parking is pricey. Any suggestions for things to do, places to stay and good food would be appreciated. Are there any recommended city tours? Thanks again!!

Old Jul 4th, 2000, 04:33 PM
tina

By the way, we have a car!

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 07:15 AM
denverite

Ocean's Journey is a neat, but pricey @ $15/pp, place to visit in downtown (aquarium). If the Rockies are in town, that is a great option ($5 tickets, right downtown)www.coloradorockies.com

The US Mint is here if you want to watch coins being made. Lots of people on the 16th Street Mall (Denver Pavillions) in the evening (shopping/food/bars), which will put you right in downtown and the tourist area. Pickup a Westword for music, events, festivals.

Maybe look into staying in the Denver University area for cheaper rates, don't know any specific hotel names but it is fairly close to downtown and probably a little cheaper.

Places to eat: Swing Thai on Alameda/Logan, La Pasidita on Park Ave/Clarkson, Breck. Brewery next to Coors Field. All cheap and good options.

enjoy

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 04:46 AM
Malcolm

Could anyone please advise me on what the Ramada hotel at 1150 east colfax is like as I will be staying there in Late September.
Also does anyone know what the weather is like in southern colorado around the same time as I will be visiting the Cumbres & Toltec Railroad