Reload this Page >

Downers Grove DoubleTree Suites chicago area

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2001, 04:58 PM
Kathy

Hello booked the Downers Grove Chicago area Doubletree Suites Hotel in Augugst off of Hotwire for $36 a night. anyone ever stayed at this hotel before the cheapest rate I could find was for $89 a night. Thanks, Kathy

Old May 19th, 2001, 09:03 PM
Cathy

I know that Downers Grove is about 25 miles from Chicago and a rate of $36 at any Doubletree Hotel is excellent.. the hotel has recently been renovated I am told and rates would normally be well over $100...
Hope you enjoy the Chocolate Chip cookies..they are excellent.

Old May 21st, 2001, 07:29 AM
Beth

don't know about this specific Doubletree but every one I have ever stayed at has been nice and worth a million times more than $36 (What a reat price!) A word of caution though, Downer's Grove is most definitely 25 miles (or more!0 from downtown Chicago. The commute in by car will be 2 hours maybe nd even at least an hour by train. If you are using this a homebase for seeing the city I would reconsider. downtown is much more expensive but maybe worth it. At lest stay in a closer suburb such as Evanston, Skokie, Oak Park, Park Ridge. There is a more than adequate hotel on Touhy Avenue (skokie area) which is a chain I can't remember which an is a bargain at about $65. This would be a shorter commute to town at 30-45 min.

Old May 21st, 2001, 08:00 AM
Westmont

Downers Grove has a train that runs through Westmont and goes into the loop from the west. It's one of the fastest and runs about 1/2 hour- it's much better than driving. Take the D.G. location.

Old May 21st, 2001, 09:15 AM
Amy

I work in the Downer's Grove area and live in the city. The train is 30 minutes express and with no traffic you can drive downtown in 35 minutes - with traffic closer to an hour. There are some great restaurants as well in the western suburbs as well as the Brookfield Zoo.

Old May 21st, 2001, 10:47 AM
Clark

Whatever you do, please do not visit the city of Chicago, stay in Downer's Grove and think you have experienced the city, it is impossible! Nothing against DG, I have actually never been there. I have lived on the city for 3 years and have been to ANY suburb period less 20 times. we usally go the 'burbs rarely, maybe a couple times a year. There is no need to because you can find anything you want in the city! Part of the experience of Chicago is wandering u and down the streets and walking around the many neighborhoods. chicago is not the Target Greatlands, Super Kmarts, and the Woodfield Mall of the suburbs. If cost is an issue, keep looking there are hotels in the city for $50/night just not downtown. there is no reason to stay over an hour out!

Old May 21st, 2001, 12:36 PM
jenny

I work in the Downers Grove area and have used the DoubleTree many times. It is a nice hotel and you got a GREAT rate. You are still far from the city and traffic to and from can be bad. The train is a good idea. If you're looking for restaurants in the area, try Parkers Ocean Grill. It is moderately expensive, but well worth it!
Good luck! Great shopping mall in nearby Oak Brook. You've got to go there!

Old May 22nd, 2001, 05:01 AM
HUH???

"great shopping mall in nearby Oak Brook" I just don't get it. The mall at Oak brook is has the same stores as any other mall in suburbia or smalltown U.S.A. Actually, its worse because it is outdoors rather than enclosed so if it rains, snows, gets cold or unbearably hot, you are miserable. First of all, I dislike malls and prefer small boutique trendy unique shopping. Second, een if I did like malls, I would not travel on my vacation to got o a mall and visit the same stores I ould in my home town. Downer's grove is a nice suburb, my in laws live close to there, but it is NOT chicago, it is major suburbia. If you are going to visit Chicago, you need to visit the city.