Reload this Page >

Doubletree Boston Downtown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 01:07 PM
sean

This hotel only opened in the summer.Anyone have any feedback?They are quoting $159 for a triple room for the week up to and including St Patrick's Day.
Is a triple room likely to be similar to the rooms in the Doubletree Suites,NYC?The website gives no room descriptions.
The location is next to the New England Medical Centre on Washington Street.Is this a safe area for a family?

Old Jan 23rd, 2001, 04:24 PM
Caitlin

My boyfriend stayed at this hotel a couple of weeks ago while in Boston on business at NE Med Center. He says it is a nice hotel with nice public areas; his king-bed room was of moderate size and comfortable, and the amenities include Playstation on demand on the in-room TV, which may or may not be a perk for your kids. One eccentricity is that the hotel has been designed according to feng shui principles, but this probably doesn't mean much for anyone's stay! My boyfriend felt the area was totally fine, safety-wise; there's not a lot right there, but it is within fairly easy walking distance of all the downtown areas and near to a T (subway) stop on the orange line (NE Med Center stop), and also an easy area in which to get a bab if need be. I don't think you should excpect suite-style accommodations, e.g., multiple rooms or a pull-out sofa; don't take my word for it, but a triple may simply be a room with two large beds. I assume from your address that you're from the UK and this is why you haven't called the hotel directly to ask. The quoted rate for my boyfriend's room with one king bed was $159 as well, and early January (when he was there) isn't exactly high season, so I don't think you can quarrel with the rate.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 07:18 AM
Ann

My employee newsletter just had an article about this hotel (they have special opening rates). The location is fine, in the theater district. The walk to the Green line of the T is about 2 blocks, and the green line is probably the one you'd be using most often (not the Orange line). There are loads of restaurants in this area, and it also boarders on Chinatown where you may enjoy dim sum in the mornings, and terrific restaurants all the time.

The interesting thing about this hotel for a family is that it was built in a former high school, so it has an olympic sized swimming pool, basketball courts and a health club.

I have not visited this hotel, but from what I have read, it sounds very nice. Have a great visit.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 09:43 AM
sean

Thanks Caitlin and Ann,
I think we will take a chance on it.We are going to be in Boston for 7 nights.I presume we can always check out and book something else if it is unsuitable once we get there.The reservation is not prepaid but is guaranteed with a credit card-we can cancel up to 3pm on the day.
If we do stay and then decide to move,are we likely to suffer any penalties for cancellation of the remaining nights.
The hotel terms are silent on that point-what is the policy generally in the US?

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Ann

Sean, you may want to start a new thread to ask the question about leaving mid-stay. I really don't think there's a problem as long as you give the hotel enough warning (same for the policy of canceling up to a certain time before arrival). The only problems I've ever heard about were people who wanted to extend their stays at a full hotel and were not able (no rooms available).

The prices of hotels in Boston are up to about a $175 to $200 average I believe, so you price you have is probably a very good one. If you do stay, please let us know how it is.

Old Jan 25th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Sean

Thanks Ann-will do
Sean