Reload this Page >

Door County Wisconsin?

Search

Door County Wisconsin?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:45 AM
Marilyn

Door County Wisconsin?

I am considering Door County as a summer vacation and would like any information on the following resorts -- Bridgeport Waterfront Resort, Edgewater Resort, Stone Harbor and Wave Pointe. Has anyone stayed at any of these resorts and if so, your impressions??? We live in Michigan and have been to Northern Michigan many, many times. I would like to try the Wisconsin side and have heard some nice things about Door County. I am not interested in any B&B's - we will have our 16 year old son with us. I am looking for a nice resort, on the water with all the amenities.

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 06:43 AM
bev

ttt - I am interested in this too!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:05 AM
Subjective

You will find Door Cty. more built up, in places tackier than the U.P., not as tacky as Mackinac Island. They tend to call it the Cape Cod of the midwest, which is stretching it a bit, but there are a few charming places, towns, as well as a few miniature golf places, a lot of "supper clubs" where you can get that inexplicably popular fish boil. I'd check quite closely for what the "amenities" are at these resorts, as well as seeing what Fodorites have to offer on the topic. It could be a little boring, but it could be fine.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Marilyn

I am a little worried about it being boring - especially when we have a teen with - it's not easy.

I am looking for a nice (upscale if possible) resort where we can relax for a few days. We like to shop and eat in nice restaurants. Want something on the water to enjoy the view. We are planning to spend a couple of days at Six Flags on our way there or on the return trip.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a family trip, please advise.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Jim

My nephew (14) went there with his scout troup and really liked it when they lived in Michigan. People I've met from Milwaukee, Chicago etc seem to really like it.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 08:28 AM
cd

I would recommend Edgewater Resort in Ephraim of the ones you suggested. I have never stayed there but the others are in Sturgeon Bay and IMO staying in Ephraim, Fish Creek, Sister Bay, or Egg Harbor is superior. Driving the peninsula is fun and taking the ferry across to Washington Island makes for an enjoyable day.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 10:31 AM
marilyn

Thanks for the helpful responses!

Anyone else?

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 11:23 AM
patg

You may be very disappointed with the "beach" in Ephraim. It's a harbor, water not too clean, with miniscule pockets of sand parceled out to the various hotels. Nicolet Bay Beach in Peninsula Park is one of the better beaches in terms of having rentals, lots of sand, etc., but it is very shallow and was closed for days last summer because of e-coli. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 11:48 AM
marilyn

Actually, I'm leaning towards the Stone Harbor Resort or Wave Point in Sturgeon Bay, but I may change my mind completely about Door County - it might be better for us to we can go without our son - maybe in a couple of years when he's off to college. I think it might be just a little too quiet.

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any current suggestions about Door County? Thinking of going for 3-4 days with our 6 & 9 year olds.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 07:29 PM

I wouldn't recommend staying in Sturgeon Bay; it's at the very south end of Door County, and not centrally located. I think Ephraim, Sister Bay ot Fish Creek would be better choices.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 09:21 PM

Hi Marilyn,

The Door is wonderful, don't hesitate.

As far as resorts on the water, Edgewater in Ephraim is nice, I loved staying there, but I think that to really suit your needs, you may want to consider staying in Fish Creek at the Homestead Suites or Evergreen Condos. They aren't "on the water", but offer much more than the other resorts that ARE on the water. The Edgwater's location won't give you as many options as staying in Fish Creek will.

Homestead is a suite hotel, and Evergreen is condos... same owner and basically same location. They both have outdoor pools and hot tubs and Homestead also has an indoor pool.
VERY clean, family run, great service.

The best feature is their location at the entrance of Penninsula State Park.
Bring your bikes and ride till your heart's content. Great ride on trails or roadside through a spectacular park.
Climb the tower for wonderful views of the bay.

Homestead/Evergreen also is a short walk from the town of Fish Creek. Great shops, restaurants, and beach for famous sunset viewing... the sunsets are unforgettable in Door Co.

Make an advance reservation at the White Gull Inn for their famous fish boil, and arrange your sitting around the sunset hour. The beach is just down the street for catching the show.

Stop at Stone's Throw Winery on your way to Fish Creek. It's just outside Egg Harbor and they are a fine winery with some great varieties. Try the White Field Blend and the Old Vine Zin.

Great spots for picnics in just about any park in any town... the towns are no more than 10 minutes apart.

Not to miss restaurants include The Mission Grille in Sister Bay, the Sister Bay Bowl, JJ's for Mexican, and the restaurant with the goats on the grass roof also in Sister Bay - can't remember the name, but they have the best Swedish pancakes you'll ever savor... Al Johnson's !

Don't miss exploring Newport Beach State Park and while you're up there, take the ferry from Gills Rock to Washington Island... we like to take our bikes and do some riding.

If you can, get a copy of "Key to the Door" before you go... good local info.
Try the Chamber.

Door County is a special place... enjoy your time there... you'll be back!
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 06:34 PM

Thanks Maikai1! I've looked at Homestead Suites as an option, and it sounds like that may be the top choice.