COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

door county or n. carolina mtns?

Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

door county or n. carolina mtns?

We are considering a driving trip from St. Louis to either door county or north carolina mtns. we have 14, 16 and 20 year old kids.... which would you suggest? Want to escape the heat of st. louis in late july, early august.
thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 11:11 AM

What are your interests? I can recommend the NC mountains but having never visited the Door country cannot compare the two. The NC mountains are great for hiking, rafting, gorgeous scenery, good restaurants, excellent craft shops (Asheville, Penland). Generally speaking it is warm but not hot in our mountains during the summer.
Have a Ted Drewes' concrete for me while you weigh the choices!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Glady. Ted's is the best! Thanks for your thoughts. Any suggestions on lodging. Looking at some homes on vrbo on Lake Glenville. Is that a good location? Thanks again.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:09 PM

Yes, it is a beautiful area. There are several regular posters who know that part of the state better than I do, so I will top the post and hope it catches their eyes.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM

I am topping this in case a certain poster who has been at the beach this weekend has some info for you. I believe she knows this area quite well.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 06:09 PM

I've been to Door County AND the North Carolina mountains, and it basically gets down to what interests you. Mountain hiking? NC. Beaches and lighthouses? Door County.

I'm a mountain hiker myself -- sitting on a beach getting a tan is about the LAST thing I'd want to do on a vacation -- but I recognize some people find that appealing.

I guess the best way to make a choice is to close your eyes and try to imagine looking out over (1) mountain forests or (2) sandy beaches. The one that gives you the better feeling is the place you'd probably want to go.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 11:26 AM

Hi:
I grew up in Wisconsin and really like Door County. With kids in your range group I would head over to NC around Asheville/Bryson City area for whitwater rafting and hiking. We had a family reunoion in Door County a few years back but our kids said they liked the NC mountians better. They are teens and like outdoor activities. Lots of cabins for rent around Bryson City area. Nantahala Outdoor center is nearby for rafting, etc.