Don't Use Budget Rental Car

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 08:40 AM
AC

Don't Use Budget Rental Car

(Sorry if this is long) I just got back from a wonderful vacation in Fort Lauderdale and the Bahamas. Everything was wonderful, even the weather-sunny and 75 everyday, except on our last day the following scenario took place at Budget Rental Car.

We had rented a Ford Ranger for six days from Budget and flew to the Bahamas. Upon return from the island, we rented another Ranger for the one day we had left in South Florida. The previous Ranger was perfect for our needs. Just as they advertised an extra-large “trunk” because of the hard cover on the back. The second Ranger, however, did not have this cover. I know we should have said something right when we were dropped off at the truck, but we were in a real rush and just hoped it didn’t rain on our way to the airport the next day. Well, you guessed it, it rained. So, we had to squish all the luggage into the cab. Luckily the airport wasn’t that far.

When we returned the truck, I decided to say something about the truck not having a cover as they had promised. So, I asked the employee checking the truck in who I should talk to about a complaint. Well, he proceeded to ask me what the problem was and then to argue with me about it. I decided it was just best to talk to a manager and started to walk inside when the employee called me an A—hole. I couldn’t believe it. I went in to talk with the manager and he apologized, gave me a credit for the truck, and went to talk with the employee. I was mad that this happened but the manager and an employee behind the counter smoothed it over well. Then, however, I got really mad! The manager called me back inside and told me that the employee accused me of calling him a n-gg-r and that he (the manager) was inclined to believe him! I went ballistic and said how dare he accuse me of such a racist remark. Just because I am a young (30) and my outward appearance is white, doesn’t mean that I am a racist. The manager had no business telling me that he believed an employee who was just saying “whatever he could” to save his job. I will never use Budget Rental Car again.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 09:27 AM
Mom

You should write a formal complaint letter to the corporate headquarters for Budget Rental Car. This is a localized problem, one might assume limited to the specific location and personnel. But someone higher up should know if they have a problem like this at a specific location. It's likely you aren't the only person to run into this particular employee/manager team, and if multiple complaints show up...the problem will be addressed.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 09:30 AM
Cali

I agree that this sounds like a localized problem with this particular Budget office. I would also complain to the headquarters. We have rented with Budget many times and have always found the offices at the locations we ussed to be most courteous and accomodating.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 11:51 AM
OliveOyl

Below are two addresses for Budget, taken from their web page, http://www.budget.com/visitor/about/contactbgi.html. You can also contact them via email at that address.

I would register your complaint with all three and copy the office manager where you rented the vehicle. You may not get any satisfaction from the company, but certainly the manager will reconsider the validity of your claim if you have gone to this trouble, and another time perhaps won't be as quick to back that employee.

The low unemployment rates have resulted in problems in the pool of applicants available for jobs, to the detriment of the industries that must continually hire at this level and depend on good customer relations for continued business in a very competitive marketplace. Finding and retaining top notch employees becomes a full time job and at times, unfortunately, the less than ideal employee is retained for lack of another to replace him.

Personally, we've had only pleasant dealings with Budget and I'm sure this is an isolated incident. We all can make a difference though, one employee at a time!

In glancing through their web pages, it seems that some Budget operations are Budget owned, whereas others are franchises, but of course even the franchised operations have to operate at certain standards and that surely isn't one of them!

Budget Group, Inc. Corporate Office
125 Basin Street
Daytona Beach, FL 32114
904/238-7035

North American Vehicle Rental Operations Headquarters
4225 Naperville Rd.
Lisle, IL 60532
630/955-1900

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 01:03 PM
xxx

Perhaps if industry paid a living wage and invested in training and customer service for their employees, they would not have these types of people dealing with customers. You get what you pay for.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 01:27 PM
Chip

Don't use budget rent a car??? hmmmmm, lets see? You work for Avis right? *W*
You sound like every managers nightmare..complain AFTER the fact.
DID you use the N word?????
Take your credit and stop whining.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 05:17 AM
AC

Chip,

I was very happy to take my credit for the truck AFTER I was insulted by the employee. I was not looking for a freebie when I originally decided to mention how unhappy I was with the second truck I rented. And for the record, I did not use the N word and would never dream of insulting another human being over a rental car!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 08:45 AM
jim

Two things:
1. It's interesting that a post would blame someone for being upset about being called an asshole and a liar.
2. It's further interesting that someone would dismiss bad manners by citing the lack of a living wage or good training.
Welcome to the 21st century!

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 09:32 AM
AC

Hi AC:
This is the other AC. This story makes me think of the woman in San Francisco that was mauled to death by two dogs last week...the owners are saying she provoked the dogs by the "perfume she was wearing" and while she was bleeding to death crawled out of her apartment to confront the vicious creatures.
Absolutely amazing--and I agree that everyone seems to make excuses for bad manners--there is no excuse--just the thought that because he was caught being rude it had to be your fault..and we blame it on low wages and lack of training...what are we doing to ourselves...Sorry you had such an unpleasant end to your vacation.

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 11:07 AM
OliveOyl

Jim and AC,

"xxx" at least provided some comic relief, don't you think? I had to laugh out loud at the concept of having to train employees not to call customers a**holes. gt; It's pretty funny if you think about it!

Re the dogs, did you hear that another theory advanced by the atty dog owners is that because Whipple was an athlete, there was a chance she was on steroids, that the dogs sensed it, so attacked her...thus she caused her own death by her illegal drug use! Could xxx be an atty...?

Old Feb 2nd, 2001, 11:36 AM
Ginny

To the original AC-Sorry, you had a bad experience. I don't know what it is about Ft. Lauderdale, but I have encountered some of the rudest people there. Must be too much sun on the brain or something. Anyway, I would start writing letters..to the CEO and the VP of Customer Service. If enough people would complain correctly when they encounter bad customer service, maybe things would get better. Be sure to make copies of rental receipts and document everything in a nice, business-like manner. Good luck and keep us posted.