Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Don't forget to pack the plastic drinking glasses...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the fortune (or misfortune) to observe a maid cleaning our room in London last month. I was shocked to see her clean the drinking glasses with the same rag she had just used to clean the bathroom (including toilet). I had never really thought much about this before but after observing this I assume this probably happens at many hotels. Needless to say we immediately purchased plastic drinking cups and will do so on every trip in the future.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:50 PM

I've discovered lots of other uses for plastic drinking glasses -- among other things, put two together to make a good container for bringing back somewhat fragile things like seashells or small tchatchkes. Or did Boulder refer to those silly collapsible "camping" cups that seem to collapse as soon as I put something in them?
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:52 PM

1. I really didn't want to read that.
2. However, the bleach is probably more danger than the germs.
3. Run them under the tap.
4. Read "Down and Out in London and Paris" and you will not eat in a restaurant either.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Dan

While we're at it, I NEVER use those in-room coffee makers. God knows what's been used to clean those things.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

No, I wasn't referring to those useless hard plastic collapsible drinking glasses. I meant a package of disposable cheap plastic cups. Usually will just pick up at nearby grocery store or deli rather than pack in luggage.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 01:55 PM

From now on, I will wash those glasses and the ice bucket first before using them. I think I shall bring lysol wipes or lysol sprays for the toilet too and clean it before I sit on it. Thanks for the tip.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:04 PM

Is this a troll posting?? In all my years of traveling the world, I have never been to a hotel where the maid would clean a room while a guest was inside. But, in the case that you are telling the truth, I have to question the hotel you were staying in. Remember, you get what you pay for. This would never happen if you were staying at Claridges, the Connaught, or the Savoy.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

ThinGorjus:
This is certainly not a troll posting. We were in the room as my wife was sick and we asked housekeeping to clean our bathroom and change the bedding. I gave the maid a $30 tip for her trouble. While there she also "cleaned" the drink glasses. This was a 4 star hotel. If you really think that your 5 star hotel maids truly understand the concept of cross-contamination,then by all means keep believing it.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 02:35 PM

Gosh - this is awakening.

Is it so darn hard for hotels to run those through their Hobart dishwasher? I mean sweet lord!

I'm with the poster above - I'm bringing lysol wipes from now on.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Lola

Darvey, I think this is even creepier than your turn down service LOL!!

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 03:56 PM

I've always felt that sometimes it's better not to know too much. I don't particularly want to see how the housekeeper is cleaning my room, nor do I want to see what's going on in the restaurant kitchen. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 04:44 PM

It is better not to think about this stuff, however...I was staying with family at a posh hotel. My niece got sick. They had her puking in the ice bucket. Guess those liners are there for a reason.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:08 PM

I saw this on my cruise last week:
1. Woman sticking her hands in the buckets of lemon to use with tea, digs hand in bucket, chooses one and leaves.
2. Walk around the other side to the next lemon container and see a guy doing the same thing. Don't use lemons the rest of the trip.
3. During lunch I go to get some freshly sliced fruit as the server is slicing it. The lady in front of me accidentally drops her cantelope on the ground. She hands it back to the server and says sorry. The server takes it back after it has fallen on the floor with her gloved hands and throws it aside. She continues to cut the fruit with the same gloves. Now all the fruit has the same germs as eating off the floor.
Now I understand how the Norwalk virus spreads so quickly on cruise ships.
When eating at a 5 star restaurant in Las Vegas I watched the chef chug wine from the bottle and then pour it into the recipe he was making. I think if people actually knew what they were being served no one would ever eat out again ; )
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:16 PM
GoTravel

Hmmn. Guess I'll start traveling with a sleeve of solo cups.

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:25 PM
cd

We always turn the bedspread down to the end of the bed. This permits a clear view of the blanket. I have, many times, asked to have a clean blanket brought to the room if it looks dirty. There have been times we have seen dried body fluid on the blanket!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:35 PM

One summer when I was a teenager I had a chambermaid job for a summer. I was shocked to see that the other chambermaids rinsed the glasses then dried them with the dirty towels collected for the laundry. Then they covered them with a paper wrap that had the word "sanitized" printed across it! Another surprise was that we were expected to clean the toilets without a toilet brush. Glasses dried with dirty towels, hands that have been in toilets - no thanks. It may not be done everywhere but I will still never, ever use the glasses in hotel rooms.

It wasn't all that uncommon, ThinGorjus, for people to stay in their rooms while they were being cleaned.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 10:43 PM

Does anyone know how often bedspreads are changed in hotels?

To me, it seems logical that it would be between each guest's stay. However, I have NEVER seen a maid with those in her dirty laundry. Not ever.
Does anyone know for sure?

My husband and I stay in business class hotels most of the time, but my curiosity spans to all ends of the hotel spectrum.
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 05:34 AM

You all are 'way too obsessed with germs, no wonder you all get sick when you travel.

Leave the wipes, antibacterial soaps, fears at home . . . do wash your hands often and then forget about it and have a good time.

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:01 AM
OliveOyl

Amen Sandy_b. Bedspreads are changed as needed Quinty, but not after every guest. Think how many guests are in for one or two night stays only. Do you really think those things need dry cleaning every one or two days?! Please.

There is good reason for never seeing one in a maid cart, too. That's not how they leave the rooms unless you want the maids running down to the laundry after each room...think how bulky they are unless you are staying in Motel 6 or the like with their dorm-style spreads. The Housemen take spreads and blankets out in big carts. We have white duvet covers in our rooms so you know not much time elapses between cleanings--sometimes after a one night stay, sometimes not, but they have to be immaculate and are.

By the way...for the past 10 years I've lived in a hotel, housekeeping cleans our suite, and I can't recall when I was sick last, not even a cold, so things can't be too darned bad!! OL

Old Feb 18th, 2003, 06:25 AM
NYGirl

OK OliveOyl, now you have me curious! How do you manage to get to live in a hotel for 10 years?? That used to be a dream of mine .. when younger and single, I stayed with a friend who worked for entertainers in Las Vegas. She lived at Ceasars Palace for months at a time. So, I got to tag along. That got me hooked on wake up calls and breakfast in bed..I have always thought it would be such a pleasure to live in a hotel. Do you love it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -