Reload this Page >

Does this forum need to be subdivided?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Norm

I've been wondering whether this forum needs to be subdivided, since there are a few areas (particularly Hawaii and Florida) that seem to dominate at various times.

At first I thought Hawaii needed its own forum because every morning when I logged on, all the threads about the East Coast were always pushed way down on the list by Hawaii threads. Then once I started logging on in the evening, it dawned on me: threads about the eastern areas are most active before midnight EST and threads about the western areas pick up after that, burying earlier posts.

Thus someone on PST must wake up to a flurry of new posts on Florida, New England, etc. while those on EST wake up to a bunch of Hawaii, California, etc. posts.

Would splitting the US into two forums, east and west of the Mississippi, make sense? The advantage seems, to me, to be that threads would not be buried according to time-zone flurries of activity.

OF COURSE I'm NOT saying that those on the east coast are only interested in the east and those on the west are only interested in the west. But often those ANSWERING queries ARE from the local areas. And separating into two forums might keep good information from disappearing into that after-the-first-50-posts limbo.

It's a big country. What do you think?

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 06:22 AM
Jud Compton

Here's a couple interested in all parts of the U.S. So, let's keep it as it is. After all, the Page Down key works real well.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 06:50 AM
judy

I am with you Jud. Let's keep it as it is.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 07:01 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Not to sound too cynical, but I imagine that with the poor knowledge of geography of the average American, many would not know what is east or west of the Mississippi.

I do agree, however, that Hawaii should have its own forum.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 08:08 AM
hamlet

And people can also use the topic search too....

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 09:35 AM
jean

An interesting idea, but I vote to keep as is.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 10:14 AM
NC

I think giving Hawaii its own forum is a great idea. Few travellers are trying to do both Hawaii and some part of the US, while many might be trying to do both California and NY, and lots of others don't really understand the distances. But Hawaii is an entire area unto itself, with different islands and its own set of travel issues.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 11:31 AM
myopinion

I love this site -- can't get through th day without checking once or twice. (Okay -- that does sound pretty pathetic...)

My vote is for separate Hawaii and WDW forums. I know I can scroll, but it'd be easier to get to what *I'm* interested in.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 12:35 PM
john

Here's another vote for pulling Hawaii out into a separate forum. Maybe make it Alaska/Hawaii and Continental U.S. so the good people in Hawaii don't think the rest of us are trying to push them outside the United States

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 04:52 PM
Judy

I agree...Hawaii especially should be a seperate site. Love the Forum. It is my favorite travel site.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 07:49 PM
steve

I agree that this is a terrific site. I have gotten more useful info here than any other site. Since I've been checking out this forum I've planned 2 trips to Europe and numerous domestic trips.
Concerning the original question, it seems based on the number of inquiries that Hawaii could certainly stand alone as a separate topic.

Old Jan 7th, 2000, 08:22 PM
April

I think Brian in Atlanta is right. It would just get all mixed up. I'd like to see Hawaii separated though.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 07:04 AM
Brooke

If I see another Have Been to Maui
or Hawaii trip report I could scream.
I'm not saying this because I dont like Hawaii or anything. When I went to Hawaii this info may have been helpful and when I go back it would be nice to have all the info in the same place. And now when I am looking for something other than Hawaii, I really dont want five out of every ten entries about Hawaii. Get it out of here! It would benefit all who are looking for Hawaii and all who are looking for something different.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 08:28 AM
Donna

I vote for a separate forum on Hawaii.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 11:03 AM
Marcia

I was thinking of this very question recently. On the average, 20% of the questions are regarding Hawaii. That seems high to me for a forum supposedly about all of the US. I vote for a separate forum just on Hawaii.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 11:19 AM
Steve

Or...How about "Favorite US Travel Destination/Hawaii?"

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 03:58 PM
Noah

I agree that there should be a separate Hawaii forum.

Old Jan 8th, 2000, 05:54 PM
Parrot Mom

Have to admit I agree... a separate forum for Hawaii and Walt Disney would be great. Not that Hawaii isn't part of the US, but so many people have questions and so many other helpful people...If doing a combination Disney/Florida makes sense to the Webmaster it's okay with me too...

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 02:07 PM
Gary

I suggested that Hawaii had enough info. to be on it's own about a year ago and was blow away by the number of snide comments (like Jud Compton's) that were posted. I'd still like to see it separated in some way.

Old Jan 9th, 2000, 03:06 PM
lori

Count me in for another vote for Hawaii getting its own separate forum. With all the various islands, especially, it could use its own space. QUESTION: ARE THE FOLKS AT FODOR"S listening? How about it?