Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Does anyone know the Hotwire star rating system for Hawaii hotels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 01:50 PM
Sue

HELP! I have plane seats for late March/early April to Maui. I was hoping to purchase a hotel through Priceline but they cannot process my Canadian Visa card. So now I am looking at Hotwire, and the prices are not quite as good as Priceline, but not as much as orbitz, expedia, etc... They have 3 resorts listed for the Kaanapali area, one of which is 310/night and listed as 5 star. I am thinking maybe the Hyatt? They also have one at 188/night listed as a 4 1/2 star resort, and another at 169/night as a 4 star resort. Is ANYONE familiar with the Hotwire classification system or is there a support forum where I can find out more? Have you used Hotwire for any Hawaii hotels? Do any Canadians know if I will have trouble with my Visa card with Hotwire? Thanks for any info...

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:05 PM
liz

sue,

go to www.biddingfortravel, it always help me figure that same thing out, also for bidding on price line.
good luck
liz

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:16 PM
xxx

Be careful with Hotwire, their rates are really tricky. You can usually find their lowest offered rate through the hotel specificly. At least w/ the hotel direct you have the option to cancel should a problem arise. IMO w/ priceline you are basicly guaranteed to save at least 20% or more. Hotwire is notoriously competitive in their rates. If you ask the Moderator on BFT I think there is a way Canadians can bid- I came across it before. Good luck.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:31 PM
Carley

Sue, for a Canadian bidding on Priceline you have to have an American Express card. You put in Ca for the state and I usually use 90210 for the Zip. Have used this many times and have had no problem. Just booked one night at the Radisson in Waikiki for $55 using this method. As the previous poster said go to Biddingfortravel.com and they will help you out. It can be done by Canadians, lord knows we need a break with our dollar. Good Luck

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:38 PM
eh?

I don't understand. Whose dollar are you paying in? You can't be giving $55 Canadian for $55 US, legally anyway. Eh??

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:01 PM
xxx

Have you read the hotwire comments at bidding? Sheraton Maui was a 4 1/2 star according to the post.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:04 PM
xx

oh, so does the Westin. Can't go wrong at either.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:14 PM
eh?

Where did everyone go? Doesn't this sound as if BiddingForTravel.com gave a tip that would be illegal? You give a US zipcode when bidding, although you actually live in Canada, bid on a US price (say $55), but then pay them $55 Canadian? What am I missing here? Inquiring minds want to know.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 03:32 PM
Sue

Hey eh?, and any other inquiring minds...I would be paying in American dollars, but the rate is still phenomenal at 145/usd/night which translates roughly to 225/cnd/night. I think what Carly meant when she said we need a break on our dollar is that any type of savings help! I did read over the FAQs for non US residents at biddingfortravel and it seems that the terms and conditions do not stipulate that you need to be a US resident. I applied for an amex card monday, but they say it can take anywhere from 1 to6 weeks to recieve the card!I really hope it does work and I think I may just sit tight for now until I get it and try it. Thanks for all the info so far...

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:03 PM
Carley

What you are missing is that the credit card is charged for $55 and when it goes through the exchange rate is added which makes it closer to $88. This is the only way Canadians can bid on Priceline as the computers aren't set up to handle our addresses. There is nothing illegal about it since you pay with YOUR credit card and when you check in at the hotel you show YOUR ID with YOUR picture on it. No one loses, priceline makes the money, the hotel fills a room and we save $$. What is the problem?

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:07 PM
Carley

Sue, We didn't have an American Express card either and had to apply for one. It came quite quickly so you should be fine. You are right even Europeans bid on Priceline using the system. Everyone wins.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:58 PM
eh?

The problem was that I was missing a critical step, adding the exchange rate back on. The way I interpretted the notes, especially after reading the comment about needing a break with your dollar, was that you bid $50 US and paid $50 Canadian. If not so, how are you "getting a break with your dollar?" It's that inquiring mind thing again.