Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do you try to attend church while travelling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2003, 07:00 PM
Ally75

How many of you try to attend church services while travelling? Not just attending with friends or family you might be visiting, but searching out a church on your own. I've been some while in Europe, but sorry to say not more here. I did attend a service in the Phoenix Airport chapel last year--just 2 of us attending, besides the minister--we even had communion. I must say I felt more calm about my flying after that.

Old Nov 1st, 2003, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aloha Ally,

We love to attend church where we travel.

One of our most lovely experiences has been in Barbados, to a neighborhood pentacostal church, one that our maid attended. We have been back many times over the years and have been greatly blessed by the many people there.

I think talking to the locals really gives terrific insight as to the churches to visit... I wouldn't miss the opportunity.

Thanks for asking... and God bless!
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 05:31 AM

We live in Florida, and we were amazed at how many people would attend services at our church who were on vacation. We decided start doing this on our vacations and it makes the vacation very special.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As an atheist I find I only visit churches when I travel. I've been in hundreds.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 09:03 AM
GoTravel

I attend Mass quite frequently when I travel.

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 10:49 AM

I often do. Probably my most unusual experience in attending church was the Scottish Free Church in Oban. I had a ticket for a six hour ride on a paddle steamer, but the ship was delayed. That gave me just enough time to attend a service.

I was the only female there wearing pants instead of a dress, and without a hat or scarf. I was wearing hiking boots, and carried my backpack.

My grandmother had died a few weeks before, and I found the sermon particularly moving. When it was time for communion, they really did lay a table. What I didn't know was that not everyone took communion, and to take it, you had to give the usher a small oval token. I just shrugged my shoulders when it was my turn, and they let me take communion anyway.

I left just before the end ot the service, when I heard the boat whistle. Later, I was told that my visit would have been considered extremely unusual, and that people might be talking about it for years, especially since I had cried during the sermon, and left without speaking to anyone.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 11:00 AM
Ally75

travellyn--your experience does sound like a "God thing"!

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 03:39 PM

We, too, love to attend church services on vacation as well as at home. Living on Cape Cod, we have many visitors to our church who seem to enjoy doing the same. One of our most interesting visitors was a young Jamaican pastor here to work for the summer of 2003 to raise money to build a one-room home for his family nearer to their church. He attended in a morning coat and tails - so very handsome and gracious. We have had a number of exchanges of letters, photos, videos from his tiny congregation since his stay.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:33 PM

When it's logistically possible, I do. It kind of lends another glimpse into local, everyday life. As I usually bed downtown, I've been lucky to attend mass in old cathedrals.

By far the most interesting experience was Christ Church in Philadelphia. Not only was it a church of a different faith from mine (it's Episcopalian; I'm Roman Catholic, and the similarities between the two were surprising), but the fact that it was the same church that Ben Franklin, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson once worshipped in made it surreal. The inclusion of script from national charter documents into the rituals was somewhat unnerving, though.

I visited Philly on July the Fourth weekend, and the treat of attending that weekend's service was seeing descendants of the original signers of the Declaration of Indepedence.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:44 PM

Designmr,

That is VERY cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:07 PM

Always! Lakeside on rustic benches in our shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops, marshside chapel on a small NC island, xmas eve services the world over many times in languages I don't speak, to massive cathedrals. The message always comes through and I leave strengthened and more at peace.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:16 PM

My favorite church on vacation memories are from the Catholic church in Kihei, Maui. It's a lovely church--the people are warm and inviting and it is great to get a glimpse of what REAL life in Maui is like. Both times we've been there there have been native Hawaiian songs during the service. Also, their statue of Jesus at the front of the church is obviously Hawaiian-looking, which I like because it shows that people really believe Jesus to be like them. I will ALWAYS go to this church while traveling to Maui. I've been so moved by the experience both times.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:06 PM

travelisfun,

Oh!!! You reminded me of a wonderful memory of an Easter Sunday service we attended at Kapalua Bay, outside on the golf course at the edge of the cliff, with Kumalani Chapel.

This was their new pastors 2nd service at their church, and the congregation members were the most hospitable & wonderful we've met.

They had a huge buffet lunch which we were graciously welcomed to join, and we couldn't have felt more loved.

The leis were flying & it's an experience I'll never forget.

Muchos aloha!

Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 08:43 PM

logandog: how sad that you are still an atheist even after visiting hundreds of churches. I just have 1 question, why do you go?
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:01 AM

I do sometimes. One highlight was an early morning Mass at the mission in Carmel -- including the position of the sun at that time.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:58 AM

We arrived in Paris on Easter and attended Mass at Notre Dame Cathedral back in the eighties. It was quite a thrill. When vacationing on St. Kitts we were delighted to see everyone really dressed up-no pants on the women and no jeans. What a contrast! In my parish there are SHORT shorts and bra straps galore.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 06:01 AM

I like to sample the "local flavor" wherever I travel including churches. There was this great Santaria church in Port-Au-Prince that was so friendly, they agreed to put a hex on my boss.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:00 AM

As a churchgoer, I'll speak up for atheists who visit churches. A non-believer can still appreciate the beauty and history of houses of worship. Some of the best art and architecture in the world are found in these places. Culturally, they also give the visitor a real feel for an area, something that might not be evident otherwise. Attending a service adds another dimension to this appreciation.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:33 AM

I often find churches when I travel. Had a lovely sunrise service for Easter on the top of a mountain in St. George, Utah. Beautiful.
Old Nov 3rd, 2003, 08:43 AM

I don't always go to church when travelling, but I will say that many of my travel experiences have been faith-enhancing. Views from atop the Swiss Alps, a Pacific sunset, being all alone in a huge Utah canyon, meeting 'regular people' from hamlets all over the world and realizing how similar we all really are...and how small in the grand scheme of things...only reinforces my faith and clarifies my perspective. I find travel to be very 'grounding', as paradoxical as it sounds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -