Do You Collect Travel Mugs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2005, 06:16 AM
GoTravel

Do you collect travel mugs?

I don't consciously but when I opened my kitchen cabinet this morning, I noticed my every day coffee mugs were from all over the world.

The only two I ever remembered purchasing were from NYC and Disneyworld but I have a cabinet full.

Does anyone else have this?

Old May 15th, 2005, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really. The only time I really wanted coffee cups was in a small shop in Paris and I thought they would go well with the dishes I use.. they had some French writing on them too which I liked.
I did get an English teapot and creamer in London though

Do people still collect those huge ornate beer steins?
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:38 AM

No. Used to collect shot glasses years ago and became overwhelmed with too many of those pretty fast. Can't imagine finding room for mugs many times the size of the shot glasses.

Have to admit that it is fun handing out the signature cabin drink, Buttery Nipples, in shot glasses from 25 years ago!
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:56 AM

I do have a set of mugs that I had shipped back from Italy. We have moved so many times, and on each move we got rid of "stuff". So thankfully, moving was great for making sure we didn't accummulate things we didn't really want/need.
Old May 15th, 2005, 07:25 AM

I have about 100 mugs that I have gotten from our travels, and a few that others have given me. Some are from the same state, i.e. several from Alaska, and they are on a plant shelf around my kitchen. Most of them say where they are from. I enjoy looking at them and remembering those vacations.
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:17 AM
GoTravel

I started rummaging around and found coffee mugs that I didn't purchase from:

The Reptile Building at San Diego Zoo

Atlantic City (2)

Pittsburgh (2)

New York

Ohio State Fair

Wyndham Miami

Wyndham Atlanta (2, stolen)

Cancun Mexico

Bermuda

Las Vegas

San Francisco

St. Louis

Boca Raton

Orlando

Acapulco

Phoenix

How did they all get in my kitchen? Some of them are horrible. The two from Pittsburgh (matching) and black with glittery gold writing and city backdrop.

Old May 15th, 2005, 08:18 AM
GoTravel

Forgot to add a zillion Disney travel mugs that your purchase for free refills. Also tons of Gamecock travel mugs.

Old May 15th, 2005, 08:50 AM

GoT,
they will come in handy when you have your Coffee GTG for All Fodorites
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Buy mugs and shot glasses and the magnet of the state we're in if it is a new one. We have 38 of these.
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:00 AM

My husband makes a point of collecting mugs from every city of any state we travel to. It is a nice reminder for him thinking of all the places he has been. I believe we have collected 50 - 60 mugs. We have traveled international and he can't wait to get to the next cities and collect more. The problem is that we used to have a shelf area (wall) in the kitchen that held most of them but with the remodeling of the kitchen, it is gone. I call it a dust collector. He now wants to put them in the living room, of all places. I suggested a good place to be is the garage. Also, these coffee mugs cannot be shot glasses, beer stines (sp?) or even tea cups. They have to be coffee mugs. That is the first list on his travel agenda. Soon we will have to find a room for these mugs. You are not alone. The difference is that you manage to fit them in your kitchen cabinet. We need a room for ours. But they keep my husband happy.
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:31 AM

You could always do what's recommended for an overabundance of kids' toys. Put most of them up somewhere and then recycle the ones out in use.

It works well for toys. So many just sitting there can be overwhelming and messy and kids enjoy "rediscovering" toys they haven't seen for a while.

Maybe you could box up most of the mugs and keep out a dozen or so to use and display. Then, periodically switch out the ones being used.
Old May 15th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Hi GoTravel, your question made me smile as when I sold my home in Benicia and moved to Vacaville I opened up a cabinet and thought "where did all these mugs come from"?? There were so many, and we really had never used them. Also some were presents. I still think some of those mugs reproduced while in the cabinet, LOL. Do you think that is what happened in your kitchen during the night

Anyway, got rid of them. My Lenox China set now offers mugs. I consequently got rid of the cups and saucers (that never got used either) and bought a dozen of the Lenox mugs that match the rest of my china. My, aren't I feeling organized?

Old May 15th, 2005, 12:35 PM

I have 16 mugs from National Parks or other travel destinations that I purchased mostly during the 9 years we had our travel trailer. Once I filled up the shelf in the living room with them, I turned to pewter spoons because they take up a lot less space. I have 31 spoons that we collected during the "motorhome" years.

Utahtea
Old May 15th, 2005, 12:53 PM

Yes to the appearance of many mystery mugs, yet even more mysterious are all the "event" wine glasses spilling out of an adjacent cupboard.

Living in Sonoma County provides ample opportunity to acquire such a collection. Every street festival, garden festival, county fair
hot air ballon festival, christmas tree lighting festival, barrel tasting festival, winery open house festival,
jazz fetival, mustard festival and 4th of July pillow fight festival is testified to in this cabinet.
Must be time to move
R5
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:20 PM

R5--LOL! We had a stash of those wine glasses too. Unfortunately, they are all from various Navy Balls, so we hung on to them for years. Finally when DH retired last year we put them in a box and out of the way. Too sentimental to toss just yet, but I couldn't take them in my cupboards anymore.
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:41 PM

Hi all, oh yes, I too had the "event" wine glasses. I had some that I do not even remember being at the wine event. Got rid of those also. It seems that most of us have the same items in our house. Even though I have gotten rid of so much "stuff" this thread makes me think I should go through my cabinets one more time.
Old May 15th, 2005, 02:52 PM

>I had some that I do not even remember being at the wine event<

That is too funny, LoveItaly !
Perhaps i need to put them in a
memento box too, mms.
(OH GOODY, somehing else to put in the garage...)
Wait one second !

Do we realize that we're not
really getting rid of "stuff"-
we are simply rearranging it ?!?!
#-o
R5
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:01 PM

Hey razzledazzle, LOL, after decades of going to "wine events" honestly I did not remember what each glass represented. But honest dear one,I am sure I was "with it" at the time. I am sure I was!!!
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Ok, R5, lol! Actually, Goodwill and the Navy Relief Society has all the mugs. Just the wine glasses remain.

LoveItaly--I know there was one ball that we were NOT with it enough (too much scotch and champagne) to even remember to take the glasses with us. I guess if we remembered the glasses we were not having enough fun, lol!
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:06 PM
GoTravel

OMG! I wasn't even going to mention the mystery wine glasses! LOL!

Thank goodness I'm not the only one. I've got them from parties, wine tastings, hotels, and for some reason, about 8 different singles from New Years Eve of 1999 to the 2000 millenium.

Mr.GoTravel calls me a wino

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -