Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do we go to Yellowstone or Banff/Lake Louise ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 11:10 AM
cheryl cockrell

In July we are flying to Glacier National Park in Montana. We have at least a week after we leave this park and must decide whether to go north to Banff/Lake Louise in Canada or head to Wyoming and Yellowstone. I went to Lake Louise 5 years ago but I've never been to Yellowstone. Help us decide which direction to take. I'm afraid of the crowds in Yellowstone at the end of July.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 02:47 PM
Dave

i would suggest Yellowstone since you will see similar alpine scenery at Banff after going to Glacier. Granted, Banff is even more spectacular than Glacier, but nonetheless still similar.

By going to Yellowstone, you will see one of the best parks in the country, while experiencing something completely different.
Have fun!

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 02:51 PM
Dave

one more thing...
crowds are going to be bad at Banff as well, so don't let that stop you from going to Yellowstone.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Bob Brown

I am concerned that if you opt for Yellowstone that you will have trouble getting a motel or hotel room. I checked recently and everything in the park is booked solid. You might be able to find something in West Yellowstone, just outside the park, but it, too, fills up.

My vote is split. Half of me goes to Yellowstone; half to the area around Banff, but not in Banff. I go to Yoho NP, just over the border and get lost on the Iceline Trail, usually away from the crowds, except on pretty Sunday afternoons when most of Calgary seems to turn up on the trail.

Old Jun 20th, 2000, 03:53 PM
Paul Rabe

Since you have already been to Banff, have never been to Yellowstone, and are going to see Glacier on this trip; the decision should be easy. Yellowstone is one of the world's most unique places; over half the world's geysers are in this Park, and there's also rare wildlife, gorgeous waterfalls, and unusual thermal areas. As noted above, Banff has mountain beauty unsurpassed in the Rockies, but it's just like Glacier (only more beautiful). But I'd choose Yellowstone because it's not only beautiful but unique.

Old Jun 21st, 2000, 08:54 AM
Cathy

Cheryl,

The Canadian Rockies are beautiful (we love Peyto Lake) but my suggestion would be Yellowstone (especially since you haven't visited). There is a lot to see with all of the hot springs, waterfalls, mud pots, geysers, and wildlife. It will be crowded in Banff as well as Yellowstone. Don't let that be the determining factor. However, accomodations could be a trick. West Yellowstone, Montanna might be the most central location (outside Yellowstone NP) but availability might be slim. There's always a chance that something may be available in the park due to cancellations (small chance)-- check www.amfac.com. Remember Yellowstone's south entrance takes you right into Grand Teton NP. Rugged mountains, beautiful scenery and lakes.

Have a fun time!