Reload this Page >

Do I need to go on a cruise to experience alaska

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:15 AM
stan

I need to decide if I should go on a 7 day inside passage cruise, and then spend 3-4 days inland. Or if I should spend the whole 10 days inland and explore on my own. I guess what I'm asking is am I missing something (scenery wise) by not taking an inside passage cruise, or can i see the same type of scenery from taking a land based day tour of the glaciers.
Is the experience the same or better from a cruise ship.

I would only appreciate responses from people who have cruised (princess etc.)_AND_ explored the inside passage by some other means. (smaller ship on a day trip, etc.)

Keep in mind I will be seeing alaska by sea and land no matter what, but just need to know if princess type cruise is needed to fully view and experience this wnderful scenery.
I realize great food and the whole cruise experience as well as money come into play, but please base response just on the scenery

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 08:20 AM
Noach

No, you don't need to go on a cruise to experience Alaska. All you have to do is go online to do it. I've never left my house, but I feel as if I've been around the world several times. (Or at least that's what the voices tell me) Visit www.noach.com

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 10:00 AM
Ann

And now for a more legit reply....
You might want to consider the Alaska Marine Highway ferry system. The longest trip leaves Bellingham, WA on Friday afternoon and arrives in Skagway on Monday afternoon, making many stops along the way. It's faster, and more basic than a cruise (and lots cheaper), but you see the same beautiful sceanry, have access to an excellent diningroom (not included, but not too expensive) and you can camp out on the deck or in a lounge. I really think you will miss out on some beautiful areas of Alaska if you skip this part, but then again, it's like missing Florida if you only have time to see New England. It's a huge state, and should be seen in more than one trip (I'd love to return).

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 10:19 AM
Noach

The post above attributed to me is a forgery. Reasonable and intelligent people who are famaliar with my posts would realize that I wouldn't write something like that.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 10:20 AM
JoAnn

Stan, our first trip to Alaska was in '90 on a Princess Cruise and we loved it! We have a friend who was a travel agent and planned the whole thing. She felt it was a great way to see a little bit of different parts of Alaska in a short period of time. We started out on the ship in Vancouver, stopping in Ketchican, Juneau and Skagway, with time in each port to take some trips--the RR trip in Skagway was awesome. While on board ship we went to as many of the *educational* type talks we could to learn more about this wonderous state. My husband and I had both read Michener's *Alaska* long before we were going, so had a lot of background on the state and a great desire to go. We had National Park people on board while we went through the Glaciers, we had well informed young people on every aspect of the trip pointing things out that I'm certain we would have missed. We stayed over night in Denali under the best conditions possible, being able to see forever! And the animals were wonderful--and some bears very up close! A tour around Fairbanks to see the pipeline and we even went to see a state fair and a 35# head of cabbage. We thought this would be our only trip, so we wanted to see as much as possible.

But we were fortunate enough to go up again in '95 with a group from church, extending the trip on both ends to explore on our own. And we got over to the Kenai Penninsula and did some fishing in Homer for Halibut, and on the Kenai River for King Salmon (I outfished the guys & got a 74# King!). Both ways were exciting, and I wish we had really looked into the Alaska Marine Highway system--because THAT sounds like the way to go!

Just GO and enjoy--and don't sit in front of the TV on board ship and watch the whales-go to the top of the ship and see them. Documentaries on TV or the PC will NEVER do justice to what you can see in person and feel in person. Those are memories that you will never forget! Have a wonderful time however you decide to go--but GO! JoAnn

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 10:50 AM
stan

Thanks everyone for responding but I dont believe my question was answered.

I need to know if the scenery you get from taking a cruise from vancouver thru the inside passage to seward is a unique one, or is it the same type of scenery I would see if I just took an excursion on a smaller boat around the seward area .

Please reread my initial post.
Thank you.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 11:03 AM
Noach

It appears my other personality keeps trying to disclaim my, er our, work. All of these postings are by the same people, er person. www.iamnoach.com

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 11:21 AM
Christine

Stan,

I lived in Alaska for a number of years and in my opinion the Inside Passage is the most spectacular part of Alaska, whether or not you take a cruise to experience this part of the state is completely up to your lifestyle and interests (are evening shows important to you or time fishing? do you want to eat at real restaurants Alaskans eat or buffets? Do you want time for hiking and taking things at your own pace or taking in as many "sights" as possible).

But I can say that my in-laws who had taken 3 cruises to Alaska came to visit us and we were able to show them things they had no idea they were missing by being on a cruise ship. Perhaps consider flying into Juneau or Ketchikan and taking a small cruise ship tour (more rustic, you stay in the cities not on the ship, get closer to the glaciers, etc.)

So I guess to answer your question the best way to really experience Alaska is NOT from a large cruise ship.

Happy travels

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 11:28 AM
Christine

In case it wasn't clear enough, I meant to point out that the smaller cruise ships are able to get into the more remote areas and closer (whales/glaciers/waterfalls) then the large ships, plus your not sharing it with 2000 other people.

Old Jun 22nd, 2000, 02:32 PM
John

Hi, Stan,
The type of scenery you’ll see in the Prince William Sound area is comparable to much of the scenery you’d experience on a cruise up the inside passage, either from a big cruise ship or the State ferry. However, one of the most enjoyable parts of sailing up the inside passage is seeing the transition from populated areas (like Vancouver and the southern end of the trip) into more and more wild and unsettled areas the farther north you go. And many people love the “enclosed” feeling you get threading up through the islands and inlets, not particularly comparable on PW Sound. But in snapshot terms – high mountains, ocean, forest, snowy peaks or glaciers, bald eagles, orcas, fishing boats…it will look roughly the same.

Of course, by not going up the inside passage you’ll miss the very interesting towns Southeast has to offer. On the other hand, the extra time can be well spent in south-central Alaska – trips to Denali Park or down the Kenai peninsula to Homer, Portage or Knik glaciers near Anchorage, maybe a float plane trip out of Anchorage, lots of alternatives. Don’t overcrowd your time: many people underestimate the size of Alaska and the distances involved between the major points of interest, and end up rushing through a landscape that ought to be observed more closely.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 05:37 AM
Halfpint

This is a great post, but I have an additional question for those who've done the cruises on larger and smaller ships as well as for Ann: What is the relative stability of the ships involved, i.e. how rough does the sailing get on the longer stretches? Or is it all so much "inside" that it's smooth sailing?

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 09:49 AM
Ann

Halfpint, We had very smooth sailing on the Alaska Marine Highway. It was July and we were lucky. I've also understand that the route is really "inside" which keeps the motion down to a minimum. Of course, I could be totally mistaken, and it runs all year, so a winter trip might be rougher as well. Also, I suppose it depends upon how sensitive you are to motion. We never had a problem.

The AMH ferry also stops in some towns which the big curise ships seem to miss. We stopped in Sitka (had a tour of the town at 2am...it was memorable), Petersburg, Wrangell (sp?) where we bought garnets from the Boy Scouts at the dock, as well as Ketchican, Juneau, and Skagway where we ended our trip. It's like taking the freighter rather than the cruise ship. No dressing up, no late night buffets, no shows, but very rewarding. They do have naturalists on board to talk about the landscape as you pass through (I guess they have them on the cruise ships as well).

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 10:44 AM
John

For Halfpint,
There's a bit of open ocean at Dixon Entrance (at the Canada/US boundary) which all the ships have to cross. There is usually moderate swell in this area, but most vessels cross it in a couple or three hours. Otherwise it's so sheltered there's virtually no opportunity for rock 'n roll on the trip. Obviously there will be more movement on the smaller ships. This is not the case on the AMH routes to Kodiak or down the Aleutian chain, nor is it the case on those cruise/ferry trips which cross the Gulf of Alaska to Seward or other points in PW Sound. Big water there, but most of the ships have stabilizers.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 02:28 PM
Nancy

I did the ferry from Bellingham to Skagway in 1994. You go places on the Alaska Marine Highway system that the mammoth cruise ships don't go. Also, the locals use the ferry. I am not a 'cruise ship' type of person. I highly recommend the ferry. We had a comfortable stateroom and good food. The scenery was outstanding. And because you can go into tighter spaces *going into Wrangell*, you see more, in my opinion.

You didn't even know you were aboard a ship on the inside passage. The only time I felt it was going across open water approaching the Queen Charlotte Islands. And then it lasted maybe 45 minutes. No need for Dramamine, wristband, etc.

Alaska is a huge place. I spent 5 weeks there and traveled 10,000 miles and barely scratched the surface. My suggestion is to pick one geographical area or one thing you are interested in seeing and planning your trip based on a narrow slice of Alaska.

I also recommend reading Michener's "Alaska" as a prelude to going. It sets the stage...

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 02:37 PM
Nancy

P.S.....

I don't think you can compare Prince William Sound with the Inside Passage. Physically they don't look the same. You don't see glaciers on the Alaska Marine Highway up to Skagway. You see sheer rock climbing up 500 or 1,000 feet out of the water in the Inside Passage. Prince William Sound has glaciers and different sea mammals.

As someone posted above, getting from one place to another is not only time consuming but pricey.

Like I said in my earlier post, if there are specific things you want to see...certain animals, certain type of scenery, culture, etc....THAT is how you should plan your trip. It is just too vast and diverse to try to do it all.

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 08:02 PM
stan

How does the cost of the ferry compare to a cruise ship?
How many people aboard?
Do they offer excursions?
Do they charge per car or per person?
How are the rooms?
Hw long is the trip?
Is it mainly for transportation or for sightseeing?
Is it round trip?
thanks in advance for anyone who knows the answers to these questions

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 08:58 PM
John

Stan, visit the ferry system web site at http://www.dot.state.ak.us/external/amhs/home.html
Being a ferry it runs in both directions; there are separate charges for people, cabins and vehicles; how much you pay and how long it takes depends on how far you travel; there are different size ships with different passenger capacities; the cabins are comfortable but basic; you can get off in one town and continue on the next boat, excursions on your own; the ferry is both basic transportation and a tourism resource. Whew.

Old Jun 24th, 2000, 12:07 PM
Ann

Stan, a visit to the AMH website is probably the best way to answer most of your specific questions, but to address just a few, the fun part of this mode of travel was to arrive in a town at 2am and still have the tour buses (i.e. school buses) meet the ferry for a tour of just enough time as we had. Since it's not a tourist ship (although it's full of tourists) they know when and how to handle a three hour stopover in the middle of the night (for example, we had a two hour or so tour of Sitka, including a tour of the famous Russian church, the tour guide had the key, and the museum, as well as the general area, and got back to the ferry in time to depart, all for $5.00 in the early 1990's). Can't do that on a Princess cruise! We did not have a cabin because they usually book for the season on the first few days the summer tickets go on sale. They rent blankets and pillows for floor camping, and there are lockers and showers as well. People in the know grab deck chairs for the duration as soon as they board in Bellingham. Lots of folks traveling with their cars down below (access limited to in port stops only) bring tents and set them up on deck. My husband brought a sleeping bag and slept out on deck.

All in all it's a real experience, and if I did it again, I'd probably want to get a cabin (I'm getting too old for camping on deck) but if I'd had a cabin last time, I may not have gotten up at 2am to see Sitka, and that was well worth the loss of sleep (read Michener's Alaska to really appreciate Sitka and the rest of the state). Also, watching the sun rise as we left Sitka was extraordinary.

When we finished the southern leg of our trip, spending a few days in Skagway, we flew to Anchorage via Juneau. I believe the trip took nearly three hours, just to get a feel for the overwhelming size of the state of Alaska!

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 12:48 PM
Tami

Hello Stan -
My husband and I recently returned from a 2 week trip to Alaska, on which we took a one-day wildlife viewing cruise, but spent most of the time driving around on our own. The problem that I see with cruises is that they are too "cookie cutter" - too many people doing the same activities in the same places. We saw people from cruise ships being shuttled from the Princess ship to the Princess Lodge on the Princess bus - ick! Get out and drive around the gravel roads - get a real sense of the beauty and enormity of the state! We had fantastic experiences just hiking around, taking pictures, encountering caribou and moose, and talking to the wonderful people that live there year 'round - something that you are never going to experience on a cruise ship. It depends ultimately on what you want your experience to be, but as a t-shirt said that we saw there "get off of the cruise ship and into the food chain". Have fun - Tami

Old Jun 25th, 2000, 02:42 PM
Robert English

My wife and I would like to see and photograph the Alaskan brown bears. McNeil sounds wonderful but I've read that only 250 people win the lottery. Attainable without a lottery is Brooks Camp in Katmai N.P. but it sounds very expensive. I'd like to hear from people who have been there. What is it like? Are there cheaper ways to go than chartering a package from the Brooks Lodge out of Anchorage? How is the bear watching there in September?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -