Reload this Page >

Distance to Mount St. Helens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 04:33 PM
Karen

How long does it take to drive from Paradise Inn at Mt. Rainier to Windy Ridge at Mount St. Helens? Also, how far of a drive is it from Mount St. Helens to Bremerton? Is this all worth a one day drive and worth the extra to go to Mount St. Helens from Mount Rainier?

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 06:46 PM
me

I thought Mt. St. Helens blew up. I wouldn't go to a mountain that blew up.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 07:34 PM
John

My estimate is that it would take on the order of 3 hours from Paradise to the Mt. St. Helens visitor center, maybe longer, then around 3-4 hours from Mt. St. Helens to Bremerton via Tacoma on the return. If you're starting from Bremerton, it's around 2 - 2 1/2 hours to Paradise, so adding it all together comes to 9+ hours of driving, never mind time at the actual destinations. I wouldn't do it personally; your preferences may differ.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 01:52 AM
gail

I have no idea of time/distance, but the trip to Mt. St. Helens is amazing. We debated whether or not to take detour Seattle-Portland and are glad we did. The government has decided not to artifically encourage regrowth in the area so it is a living laboratory of how different plant and animal species will reinhabit a devastated area.
All well explained at several visitors centers which manage not to be preachy or juvenile.

If felt like hallowed ground, living science and the Moon all at the same time. If you can spare the time, I would say go.

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:40 AM
Wrong way Jay

Did the St. Helen's trip but went in the wrong way. We took exit 68 off of I 5 and then headed in at Randle. We were right at Spirit Lake, with lots of read it yourself info about Harry Truman (not the pres) and his lodge that was there. On this route you end up at the crater. it is very secluded, no bathrooms, no water, no gas, no traffic. I was so glad we went the wrong way, had food and water, a cell phone, and a full tank of gas. We got great pictures, saw snow in June and had such an awesome experience. If this route is chosen, hwy 12 to Randle then 131 to the Mt. go early the road is very curvey and narrow.