Disneyworld Lodgings

Search

Disneyworld Lodgings

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:25 AM
jo

Disneyworld Lodgings

I am planning my first trip there, 5 nites
in early to mid march. I would like a moderate hotel for 2 on Disney property for
200$ or under. I got 4 names from a guidebook, the caribbean beach resort, coronado springs resort, port orleans restore-french quarter or port orleans resort
riverside. Has anyone stayed in any of these and do you have any recommendations? Also is
there a way to get a better deal other than using the disney webpage. Should I try calling the hotels directly? or try a travel agent for packages. I dont want all meals included as i want the freedom to eat out espec at Epcot. thanks.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 06:52 AM
Paige

We stayed at Dixie Landings about four years ago. Grounds are nice as are all Disney properties. It's next to Port Orleans. You can take a water taxi to Downtown Disney and Busses to all other parks. Rooms were just standard hotel rooms. We rented a small refrigerator for our room. I think I booked it directly thru Disney. Didn't include any meals. Dixie Landings had a food court that was just fine. We really liked their fried chicken fingers. The sit-down restaurant wasn't very good at Dixie Landings.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Gail

For great info on Disney, go to
www.disboards.com They have a section on hotels and bargains.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 08:22 AM
randa

It depends on the atmosphere you prefer at the moderate resorts; you'll get basically the same amenities at each. Dixie Landings is gorgeous and I disagree about their restaurant, as we thought the food was great. Port Orleans is much smaller but still lovely; easier to get around. Carib. Beach is huge and spread out, but very colorful and great pool. Coronado Springs is Mexican-themed, has a great pool and caters to the convention crowd.
It's easier to get a package deal, but it costs more and not worth it. There's no way to get a better rate at a resort unless you use a special code that Disney offers in different areas. For instance we got a card from WDW with a code number on it to get a moderate resort for $99, but it expires the first of March, when their peak season begins. So doubt you'll get any discounts on rooms then. Even with a Magic Kingdom card, the discounts on rooms only apply during off-season.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Rachael

While there is nothing wrong with the Coronado Springs, it does cater to a convention crowd (as another poster pointed out). It is huge and very spread out. The other resorts are more compact and easier to get around. I guess it really depends on which theme most appeals to you.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 09:53 AM
D

My Houston paper is advertising great Disney rates right now that are good 4/21/02-6/22/02. Maybe you could change your travel dates? Moderate resorts go for $94/night and Deluxe resorts for $139. That's quite a bargain. Reference code is "CIF"

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Kaye

We always get a package deal right through Disney. (last one we booked over the net.) Some meals included but can use anytime in Epcot and other Disneyworld locations. I'ts great and worth checking into. Eat as much as you want...doesn't matter the cost.
The package has extra things most people don't take part of at Disney, boat rentals, etc.
We've always camped or stayed at the Wilderness Lodge (slightly more expensive). The location is great...just take a riverboat to magic kingdom.
Never stayed in the hotlels you mentioned but have walked around their property and they look great too!
You'll enjoy your time no matter where you'll stay!!!! It's a dream world.

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 10:10 AM
Darlene

My husband and I stayed at the Coronado Springs and Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans I believe). We much preferred Dixie Landings. There was an Amway Convention at Coronado Springs and the whole place was packed. We were never able to use the pool and there were people everywhere (we were there in October).

Old Feb 6th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Sylvia

Jo - The French Quarter has closed and they are just reopening Riverwalk (formerly Dixie Landings). Caribbean Beach has lots of beautiful pools and is really laid back. Riverwalk looks like southern mansions. Check out http://www.mousesavers.com/index.html
for discounts and Deb Willis's site for comments and pictures on the hotels and their rooms: http://www.wdwig.com/

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Rachel

jo, I'm happy to share my research with you. when you call to make reservations use the code CIF or CHF as stated by a previous poster. This will get a great price for Disney value, moderate or deluxe. Also, if you pay with American Express, ask for the White Glove Treatment which means you will get discounts at some restaurants, shops, other attractions. I think they give you a pin or something also. We ended up booking at the Carribean because it the pool is supposed to be really nice and because it's rooms are supposed to be the larger rooms in the moderate class. I booked directly thru the disney reservations number and the person I spoke with was very nice. Packages really jack up the price, unless you plan on spending all of your time at Disney properties. If you plan on spending time at Universal, Sea World. etc. it seemed that just getting the room was the best bet. try some of the web sites mentioned here and also mousesavers.com. have fun.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 05:46 AM
dispro

The previous posters have given great info on the resorts, so I'll only add that unless you want convenience over savings, do not get a package. Packages are anywhere from 50-100%+ more expensive than doing the research yourself. It takes some work to comparison shop, get transportation, flights etc., but the savings are worth it. Try the codes but March is high season and you may not get a discount, unless you stay at the Swan/Dolphin. You can stay there for less than 200 with a teacher/nurse/government discount or if you don't qualify, they sell rooms through Expedia, quickbook and hoteldiscount.com.

I am paying $2,100 for 2 adults/2 kids for 6 nights at a Deluxe property, airfare from NY, towncar transportation (much better than a shuttle) and tickets! I put the whole thing together with info I got from disboards.com and orbitz. The closest any TA or package came to my price is $ 4200. Well worth the effort if you ask me.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:43 AM
nina

jo, just wanted to let you know that you can stay at a Animal Kingdom lodge in March for 190/night. It's a deluxe property. When you call WDW central reservations and ask for prices on the moderates ask if there are any "upsells". They will give you a Deluxe property for $10 more than a moderate!

Also don't get the package, way too expensive. Even though meals are included in some packages, if you price them out they are still more than you would spend if paying separately. Who wants to spend the time (and calories), eating 3 big meals a day just to get your money's worth?

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Rachel

One more thing to consider-you can no longer get early entrance to Disney properties by staying at Disney hotels so the only advnatage is the great transportation around the properties. You can get the priority treatment (I dont think it's early admission, but priority in the lines) at Universal by staying at their properties, Hard Rock Hotel and Portofino. Hard Rock and POrtofino are in the Endtertainment book (although Entertainment Rate books quickly, especially peak periods) and have AAA rate. Just a consideration if you plan on spending time at both.

Old Feb 7th, 2002, 06:51 AM
Neve

Hi there, just wanted to let you know that either the CIF or CHF discount code is applicable for travel in March. Budgets are about 99$/night, moderates 121$/night. Just call central reservations and ask which you can use.
I've never called the hotels directly-but I've heard that you can often get more up-to-date information from them. Seems like central reservations is the last to know about policy changes!
Mousesavers.com is a great site. Lots of discount information and advice from the experts!
We just booked the Carib Beach resort, and we're sooo excited!!
Enjoy your trip!!

Old Jul 13th, 2002, 12:21 PM
steve

The CIF code info is very interesting. Does anyone know the code for August, please?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Tutter

Here are 3 url's that will help anyone planning a WDW vacation.

www.readersclubhouse.com
This is a forum type site & you can ask any question you can think of.

http://www.wdwig.com/contents.htm
This site has tons of answers to questions you don't even know you need answers to.

http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/
This is a site for a travel agent (free) that will help you plan your trip. They will book the room for you & watch the prices, if they go down they get you the lower rate. They know all the codes & best buys.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 10:11 AM
sally

www.mousesavers.com

Has codes and ways to get discounts. Very worth a look!

Also, French quarter, while on a shared property with port orleans is slightly nicer...

If you can get the disney yacht club at a reduced price (under 200) totally worth it... Ask for a room facing the water so you can see fireworks from your window at night! ! !

One pool has sand at the bottom perfect for kids...

Walk to Epcot and Downtown Disney...

An experience... in itself

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:44 PM
ilisa

I won't add to the great info people have already given you. However, I do want to say if you can upgrade to a savannah room at Animal Kingdom Lodge, do it. We stayed there for about $200/night in May. It was truly magical. There was nothing like waking up first thing in the morning to see the animals. I will never forget my daughter's delight in seeing giraffe right outside our room.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 05:19 PM
Mark

I have to agree with the sites Tutter mentioned above. The ladies at Your Magical Journeys let me know about the current discount codes before they came out to the public, and they got me a great rate at the Beach Club in November. It is only $1688 for 9 nights!