Disneyland Spring/Winter Break

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disneyland Spring/Winter Break

I am already trying to get my research together for our trip to Disneyland next year and wanted to know if "Spring Break" or "Winter Break" is the best time to go when it is less crowded. We planned on going in April for spring break and forgot February is also an option for one week for winter break. Not sure if California schools have a winter break in February like Washington state. If anyone has any recommendation, I would appreciate it. ALSO we plan on staying at the "Residence Inn" Garden Grove and would appreciate any comments on that hotel. THANKS!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:46 PM
GoTravel

jojo, President's Week in February and the weeks before and after Easter are usually peak travel times at amusement parks.

I can't comment on Disneyland specifically but if you know of a school that has a break on a certain week, chances are they aren't the only school and the parks will be crowded.

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:04 AM

It's hard to say. Not all schools have Spring break at the same time here. We don't have a Winter break in Feb., so that might be your best bet. Usually kids here just get a day or two off for Presidents Day in Feb. and that's it.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 08:57 AM

We went to Disneyland over winter break a few years ago and the park was not that busy. This was in the same month that the California Adventure opened. We had a good time, but the weather in February can be pretty wet. It rained one entire day and at least a few hours each day. Just something to think about.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM

I would definitely go for the winter break. If it rains, the lines will be just that much shorter.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Again, there is no "winter break" in L.A. or Orange County, so all the kids should be in school, unless you happen go on the day they're off for Presidents Day.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM

We visited Disneyland (and CA Adventure) this past February on a Thursday and the lines during the day were very short. It rained (mist, really) that day, which may have discouraged the crowds. We didn't miss them.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 01:17 PM

We just did the beginning of Spring Break for our Washington State Son (on April 3). I think this was the tail end of some of Calif Spring Breaks, as most of Calif had the week prior to his.

Needless to say it wasn't too bad, we got there 1 hour after opening at 9AM and got a fast pass for Indiana Jones - had no lines for Pirates, Haunted House, 5-10 minutes line for Splash Mountain, 5 minutes for Train ride, no line for Small World, 10 minutes for Matterhorn, 5-10 for Roger Rabbit, 5 for Star Tours...all of this by 11:45AM. We went on the other non ride stuff and then left for lunch. We returned at night a did some other Rides and it was certainly crowded but not terrible...The weather is usually great in April also - Feb could be much wetter...
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 04:09 PM

On Saturday March 26, the Disneyland park was closed to new admissions in the afternoon, because it was full. Spring break is much worse, of course this year was especially bad because it coincided with Easter.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. From what I am reading if I want less crowds, go in February, if I want nicer weather, go in April. I live in Washington and even though I am use to rain all the time, it would be nice to NOT have to worry about it on vacation. I guess I will stick to my original plan and go in April and get a three day pass for both parks to allow enough time. Any other tips is greatly appreciated! and any commments on the Residence Inn in Garden Grove. Thanks!!!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:46 AM

So what is early january usually like in terms of weather and crowds ?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 06:43 AM

Not too much different than Feb. By early Jan., I'm assuming you mean right after New Years, so all the kids will be back to school.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:31 PM

If you are thinking of early January try to go after New Year's eve and the associated weekend/holiday. Before Jan 9th you should still be able to see the holiday decor with fewer crowds. Pray for rain.
Old May 28th, 2005, 12:39 AM

I'm also thinking of going to Disneyland next year, probably the first week of March. Can anyone tell me how late the park is open then?
Old May 28th, 2005, 03:26 AM
DB

During winter (such as February), the park is not open as early nor as late as in the summertime, and there are no firework displays. It gets dark earlier (5-6pm) and the weather can easily be wet and/or cold. You should check the Disneyland website for hours of operation. Also, rides are more likely to be shutdown for repairs/maintenance during the slow times.

For hotel reviews, see:

http://www.epinions.com

http://www.tripadvisor.com

Old May 28th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

DB:
Thanks for the info on the weather and park rides. We are going to go in April and just grin and bare the crowds. I live in Washington and dodging the rain is all we do when planning outdoor activities and it would be nice not to worry about it on vacation. I wouldn't want to miss fireworks or any rides that are down being repaired by going in February. I don't think it's worth it so we will be going in April during spring break. Thanks again for your reply!