Disneyland itinerary input, please...

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disneyland itinerary input, please...

Hello all!

My wife and I are considering a trip to Disneyland with my son.

We're very very very early in the planning stages on this -- we don't even have a specific time-frame in mind yet, just sometime in 2008, as long as we're not pulling the kid out of school.

So -- I was hoping to get some input from folks here, as we figure out the best way to get out there in the most inexpensive way possible.

We'll be flying out of the Florida Panhandle (VPS, PNS or PFN). Tickets to SNA & LAX seem to be extremely high, so we thought maybe we'd fly into San Diego, rent a car, and drive up the coast and into Anaheim.

Now, the big question is: Which option is cheaper: Flying into LAX/SNA or Flying into San Diego and driving?

I'm not opposed to a package deal, either. Something that has Disneyland tickets (at least 2 park days), flights, car & hotel (doesn't have to be a Disneyland hotel, but within walking distance).

I've not yet done any intense pricing, but I will be doing so shortly -- figured I'd throw all this out here and see what y'all thought!

This would be a 4 or 5 day trip. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Thanks!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 07:35 AM

Two websites for you: mousesavers.com and laughingplace.com.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM

Do you have another reason to go to California other than Disney? If not, I would just drive to Orlando (save money on airfare) and visit the parks there. IMO Disneyworld is better than Disneyland. And with all the money you save on airfare, you can upgrade to a nicer hotel and splurge on things like breakfast with the characters.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM

Unless you have another reason to go to California, that does seem odd not to go to Orlando instead.

Disney's own website would have information on packages including the "Good Neighbor hotels". If you can manage to travel outside of our school holidays, then it would be less crowded. Saturdays are the worst day.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Oh, we visit Walt Disney World often -- in fact, we have Annual Passes.

But we enjoyed our first trip to Disneyland so much that we want to visit there again...and maybe see a bit more of Southern California in the process (Hollywood maybe?).

Thanks!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:25 AM

Why not check out one or more of the marvelous REALWORLD sites in the area rather than going to an ARTIFICIAL place? Guess you want to spend alot of money on zero reality...
Just curious.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM

Did you try John Wayne Airport in Orange County?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM

We love Disneyland. We flew into John Wayne. All three of their on-site hotels would be considered "deluxe" at WDW, but IMO, you can get much better deals. Plus, they have specials on tickets like 4 days for the price of 3, etc.

If you stay on-site, you never need to get in a car...or tram...or ferry....or bus. You can walk EVERYWHERE. It is so relaxing.

People also speak highly of the Howard Johnson's and the Candy Cane Inn.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

We went to Disneyland back in 2004 - flew into SNA (John Wayne) and stayed at Paradise Pier. We had a blast, and enjoyed that all of Disneyland was within walking distance.

This time around, however, we definitely want to save some money by staying offsite, but still within walking distance to the parks.

I did a quick flight rate check, and flying into San Diego is much, much cheaper than flying into SNA. So, that's why we're considering renting a car and being able to take in other area places.

So, that goes back to my original questions -- is that a good idea?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 12:45 PM

Yes, I think it is reasonable to use San Diego if it saves a lot of money. It's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way. Allow extra time to catch your return flight, because often there can be impressive traffic jams. You might even want to spend the final overnight closer to San Diego.
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I just have to figure out if having the car for the number of days we'll be there is cheaper than the cost of flying directly into SNA.

Now -- if we do the drive, are there any spots we should hit between Anaheim and San Diego that won't really cost, well, anything?

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 02:23 PM

SeaUrchin

FYI - SNA is also known as John Wayne Airport or Orange County.

Old Aug 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM

I'm very surprised that it is cheaper to fly into San Diego. If it were me, I wouldn't want to fly into San Diego if I wasn't spending time there. Have you check the cost of flying into Ontario?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 02:49 PM

I'm very surprised that it is cheaper to fly into San Diego. If it were me, I wouldn't want to fly into San Diego if I wasn't spending time there. Have you checked the cost of flying into Ontario?
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 02:54 PM

If you have the time, add a few days in San Diego. If your son is in elementary school he'll love the Wild Animal Park, San Diego Zoo, the beach in La Jolla.

I used to live in San Diego and it's a wonderful destination. The Del Mar fair is fun in the early summer.

If you go make sure to try the fish tacos that San Diego is famous for at Rubio's or Fin's.

You could also take in a SD Padre's game. The whole embarcadero area is so contained you can visit most of the above and walk or a short drive.

Then head up to Disneyland.......

I actually planning our Christmas visit to Disney World at the moment...

Have fun!
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 03:18 PM

I second checking Ontario. Also check Long Beach and Burbank. LAX and SNA are always the 2 priciest airports in SoCal. Of these, I find Ontario the easiest to get in and out of, and will also be the closest to Disneyland. Good luck!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, folks!

Just in case anyone hasn't used sidestep.com before, give it a look. It searches a wide variety of booking sites, shows pricing options for area airports, etc. to get the best possible price. I've been using it pretty heavily in trying to plan out this trip...

Anywho, thanks again!
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:42 AM

I am not sure about the airport part, having only ever flown into LAX from Philly.

However, I would recommend the Anaheim Fairfield Inn by Marriott. It is one of the "Good Neighbor Hotels" just outside the park on Harbor Blvd. We have stayed there previously, and will again in December. It is conveneint to the park, only about a 5-10 minute walk from the hotel to the front entrance to the park.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:39 AM

There's a map on the Disneyland site that shows the location of the Good Neighbor Hotels. (You'll have to click on the link.)

BW Park Place is closest to the entrance of the Harbor Blvd hotels. Anything from Candy Cane Inn north wouldn't be too bad, I would try to pick one north of Katella.
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...elsLandingPage
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:48 AM

Hey thepeters,

I live and work less than 10 miles from Disneyland, so I can be of some help.

1) I agree with most posters: if youre coming just for Disneyland, dont. Your "Magic Kingdom" is nearly identical to our "Disneyland." In fact, when my fiance and I went to WDW, we didnt even go to "Magic Kingdom" because it's so identical.

2) Your airfare question is odd to me, because my fiance and I got LAX - Orlando tickets (roundtrip) for like $216 each via American. Very cheap. Have you looked at www.farecast.com to see if buying tickets this far in advance saves you money?

3) I would NOT recommend flying into San Diego and renting a car. The drive from San Diego to Disneyland is probably a little less than 2 hours. And if you hit traffic, god help you. Youre going to be doing enough driving while youre here (trust me)...dont make your airport more "out of the way" than you have to.

4) The airports in the area include (from my favorite to my least favorite): Long Beach (LGB), Santa Ana/John Wayne (SNA), Ontario (ONT)- this is out of the way, Burbank, and LAX. If you have a choice, pick SNA or LGB over LAX!

5) Discount airliners that fly into the area include Southwest (all except LGB), JetBlue (LGB), and Frontier (LAX).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -