Suggestions for 4 days holiday before business trip to NYC

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in UK and often need to go to the US for work which I try to combine with a few days of holiday if I can. I have been going to South Beach Miami for the reliable weather for several years now but would ideally like to find other options. Night life is not of much interest but good hotel, pool, lakes, beach, good food and art galleries and antique shops would be. Any suggestions would be much appreciated for the forthcoming end of a May trip. Thanks.
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM

Would you ever consider Provincetown in Cape Cod? It's one of the few places you can go easily without a car, though Nantucket would be my second choice. End of May there (except for Memorial Day weekend) is still off-season, and it's reachable by plane from NYC (granted, flights are on Cape Air via Boston, or you have to take a bus to Westchester County airport from midtown). But it has a large number of charming small hotels and B&Bs, great restaurants, dozens of great art galleries, and a good beach. The water may be too cool for you in late May, however. But once there, you can get a bike and explore the area without having to drive. Same on Nantucket.

If you want to go someplace in Florida besides Miami, you could rent a car and drive over to Naples from Miami. It's an upscale city with great galleries and food and some elegant hotels.

Another option might be Washington, DC, though granted it's a different kind of destination, though easily reachable by train (or you could fly there from the UK and then take the train to NYC, returning via JFK). But it's mostly for history, food, culture, and not the beach or pool. If swimming and sunning is your priority, this is not the place.
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:33 AM

Oh ... and I forgot the Florida Keys, another drive from Miami. Key West is the easiest place to deposit yourself for a few days of R&R. But the Keys are not known for beaches, though diving and kayaking are legendary.
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Doug. As it happens, I've done all the places you've mentioned except for Nantucket. I will take a good look. Ideal holiday would be sitting around a pool or beach reading in a nice hotel. And the option of walking around in an interesting town.
Old May 13th, 2014, 02:38 PM

The Berkshires - Great Barrington and that area would be lovely. Art galleries, food, quaint towns, all there and much more.

http://berkshires.org/

Fun place to stay.
http://thebriarcliffmotel.com/
Old May 13th, 2014, 03:40 PM

Nantucket is ideal but it,s a bit early for perfect swimming weather there. What about Bermuda? I believe jetblue.com flies from NYC.
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:34 PM

Yes, I think Bermuda is a better option. Check JetBlue and see where you can fly cheaply on your dates. They fly from JFK to several beachy destinations.
Old May 13th, 2014, 04:41 PM

At ed of May the season open in the Hamptons - which seems to have most of what you want - although the water will be chillier than Miami (where I feel like a lobster being boiled) since it's the North Atlantic. But you would have to rent a car to get from one town to another and from the town to the beach (beaches are either town-owned or part of estates of the uber wealthy and a good distance from town - to keep out non-residents - or those not staying in a local inn).

Lots of galleries, antiques and several good small museums, lots of wonderful food, much of the seafood right off the boat and some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.
Old May 14th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will look into Bermuda. I can stop there on the way to NY perhaps.

Re Hamptons: I spent yesterday looking at hotel options in the area but couldn't get a good feel for the various towns and the hotels. Are there any hotels or towns that you would recommend? I don't need (but don't mind it either) luxury (but wouldn't want formal), but good facilities/views/pool/beach and interesting nearby places would be nice. I can rent a car. Thanks again.
Old May 14th, 2014, 10:08 AM

What about one of the islands off the coast of Georgia or South Carolina? I've only been to Hilton Head and Tybee Island (near Savannah) and both have lots of food and nice beaches.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Hamptons: East Hampton, Sag Harbor
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:29 AM

Airbnb is one place to get a lay of the land for The Hamptons:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/The-Hampton...%2F2014&page=2
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:01 PM

We prefer East Hamptons- but stay with friends - or rented a house in the past so can't help with inns. You need to make sure they give you a town sticker so you can take your car to the beach (too far to walk and doesn't have services - just a great beach in front of the dunes).

You can also visit Montauk - check out the fishing fleet leaving or returning - and have the possibility of a day fishing or whale watching. Also on the north fork (Hamptons are the south fork) there are a lot of wineries to visit.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:46 AM

Re East Hampton: I have stayed here a few times:
www.easthamptonhouseresort.com

they will give you a pass for the beach. Deli across
street. Have tennis courts & heated swimming pool.
Old May 15th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for taking the time to help with great suggestions. I will be spending this weekend following the various ideas.