Disneyland

Old May 13th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disneyland

We are taking our granddaughter to Disneyland in August. Is it better to stay in a Disney hotel? Should we purchase tickets ahead of time? How do you get reservations to have lunch in the castle with the princesses? This is all new to us. We are flying into LAX and should get there around 2pm. Is there a half day pass? Thank you for any suggestions!
Old May 13th, 2017, 05:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If it is in the budget (a BIG if - they are pricey) it is much better to stay on property. Easy access to both parks and early entry to each park on alternate days.

If you are staying on property, then you would book everything as a package -- room, park hopper tickets, character meals, etc -- but they do book up ahead so you'd want to get on that soon.

The Grand Californian is the poshest with its own entrances into California Adventure and Downtown Disney. The Disneyland Hotel is expensive but a lot cheaper than the GC. It does have a broad range of prices -- mostly base on the views and in which of the many bldgs the room is located. The Paradise Pier is the 'budget' end of the Disney properties. Not as well located but still convenient and MUCH cheaper than the GC.
Old May 13th, 2017, 06:28 PM

I don't necessarily agree with Janisj. Other than the Grand California, some of the "off property" hotels are just as close as on property, and half the price or less. I don't really consider the early entry worth 200+ a night, though. Some people consider Disney amenities to be worth the cash. It might be worth it if you snag a good package but I wouldn't think so for August.

No half day pass. Look at park hours. There are days I don't get to Disney until afternoon, and park hours run so late in August that I think there's a good chance that you may still have 6-8 hours in the parks on the day of arrival, which is plenty for a young kid. Or you could just do pool stuff that day and go to Downtown Disney for dinner, shopping, and to watch fireworks outside the gate for free.

I'm kind of curious if there is character dining in the castle. I thought that was just a Florida thing? DL castle is much smaller and I don't think there's a restaurant but could be wrong.

Go to Blue Bayou instead. It's inside pirates of the Caribbean. No characters but lots of fun. You probably need a reservation.

You can get a slight discount by buying your park tickets early. And it might save time at the gate.
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Other than the Grand California, some of the "off property" hotels are just as close as on property,
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:20 PM

Oh, I see! Yes, I'd rather stay off property than at paradise pier. I like DLH but LOVE Grand CA. Just don't love the price, unfortunately.

OP- there are tons of sites on the topic- google mouse for less to start with. I think a bit of research would really clear up a few things for you.

If going before mid August there's currently a 4 nights for price of 3 going on at select neighbor hotels.

Did find out for you- There is the princess hair salon at DL but NOT dining in the castle. That is definitely a Florida thing. And you def need reservation for the bippity boppity salon.
Old May 14th, 2017, 11:56 AM

As far as I am aware the only half day passes available at Disneyland are for people attending certain conventions.
There is a character meal at Ariel's Grotto where some of the princesses appear, it sounded overpriced for what you get. My middle son took our granddaughter and stayed in the Disneyland Hotel and enjoyed it, but they are pretty pricey.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the comments. It was very helpful.
Old May 15th, 2017, 09:15 PM

I think the disney hotel is super expensive like I'm sure you could find a hotel near disneyland. But at the same time i feel like your granddaughter would love staying at the hotel at disneyland plus you could easily get to disneyland the morning after.