Reload this Page >

Disney-without kids...few rides...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Theresa

Hello! I have been racking my brain with a decision to make. My husband and I are in our mid-thirties. We don't have any children and neither of us have ever been to Disneyworld. I have had back surgery so my ability to ride the "thrill" rides will be limited. Any feedback from others on whether we will feel as though there is enough to keep us interested?

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 07:57 AM
cg

My husband and I are in the same boat (same age, no kids, I get sick on rides so can't go on many), but we love Disneyworld. We get the park-hopper passes so we can get around to all the parks. There are several things to do at each that wouldn't be bad on your back (i.e. Haunted Mansion, Small World at Magic Kingdom, Backlot Tours at MGM, most of the stuff at Epcot and the safari ride at Animal Kingdom). All of the parks have shows that are fun to go to. We also stay at the Wyndham that's right outside Downtown Disney so we can head over there for restaurants and night-time entertainment (clubs, Cirque du Soleil). SeaWorld is a short shuttle ride away for a little variety.

There's a good travel guide for Disney for adults - can't remember the name, but the title is self-explanatory. It gives good tips for enjoying the parks without kids.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Theresa

cg-thanks for the info. In your experience would you say the dining options are good at Disney? Also, have you ever stayed at one of the resorts on property?

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Linda

Disney World can be GREAT without kids -- I'm hoping to try it myself in a few years!

Epcot is especially fun for adults --lots of exotic food and fare; good shows, too.

The Boardwalk area has a dance hall that is adults-only, while Downtown has a lot of shops and clubs.

Stay at a resort hotel and pamper yourself!

Check out www.disboards,cin --lots of insider info!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 10:39 AM
Celeste

Those of us who live in Orlando always say there should be one day per week or month when no children are allowed at Disney, Universal, or Sea World. And we're only half-kidding!

If you come, I would definitely recommend the other parks as well. The prices for lodging are very low right now since occupancy rates are very low right now. I noticed the other day that the Wyndham Hotel went for $35 on Priceline so the area is still hurting even though the Christmas crowds were up there.

I recommend that you stay off-site and rent a car to visit the other places in the area geared to adults - including restaurants - so your view is not limited to Disney food and shopping.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 11:42 AM
Rich

I agree with the others -- there is PLENTY to keep you entertained and occupied at Disney World as thirtysomethings without kids. You'll find that thrill rides that would bother your back are actually in the minority at WDW (it's not like Six Flags or one of those parks where it's all rollercoasters, all the time). The rides that are jerky/fast have signs posted warning those with back injuries etc. not to ride them. I think you'd find Epcot especially enjoyable, but there are also plenty of great things for adults at the other parks, including the Magic Kingdom, which brings out the kid in even a cynical old aging Gen X'er like me. ;-)

I would highly recommend staying at one of the Disney resorts -- the convenience can't be beat, and you can park your car when you get there and depend on Disney transportation the rest of the time. The All-Star resorts are the cheapest, but they're also really packed with kids and I would avoid them. For a bit more money, you can stay at a resort at the next level up ("Moderate" resorts, as they call them), which are LEAGUES nicer. I would especially recommend Port Orleans/Riverside (which used to be called Dixie Landings) -- it feels more grown-up and is pretty romantic. I also like the Caribbean Beach resort which has nice sandy beaches -- the perfect place for lying in a hammock at the end of the day with your sweetie, enjoying the breeze under the palm trees.

Some of the other resorts are really outstanding and perfect for grown-ups, but they're more expensive. I'm thinking in particular of the Grand Floridian (Victorian opulence) and the Wilderness Lodge. It depends on your budget.

Again, I think you would have a WONDERFUL time at WDW, especially if you avoid the summer when it's full of kids and really, really hot. My favorite time of year to go is the first week of May. It's after Spring Break but before the kids get out of school; the days are longer; it's usually warm without being hot; there aren't as many thunderstorms as during the summer, when you can count on them just about every afternoon. And it's not very crowded, at least by WDW standards! Paradise!

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 02:01 PM
rebecca

I just wanted to mention a great place to sit and relax for a bit at MGM. There is a little lunch/dinner ? spot that is made to look like a drive in theater. You sit in booths made to look like car and the lights are low.
There is a movie screen that play trailers for old horror movies and the like.
It is nice and quiet and the kids seem to be a bit mesmerized by the movie screen.
We went without kids as well but they are EVERYwhere. We didn't realize we needed a bit of quiet time until we went in there. It was refreshing!
A good stop for a chocolate shake.

Old Jan 15th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Sabrina

As an annual passholder to Disney I go all the time without a child and have the best time - Epcot is my favorite! No matter how many times I go to Disney, I am never bored...and that is without ever going on a thrill ride. The resorts are wonderful to visit too, my favorite being Boardwalk...If you go, have a great time!