Search

Disney w/ toddler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Katie

Disney w/ toddler

We are thinking about taking our now 15 month old daughter to Disney World in September or October.

Is it worth it w/ such a young child? We're thinking it would be a good time because we won't have to pay for her. Also, have read that we can ride most of the rides - and those we can't we can do the baby swap thing.

I've looked into accomodations. We're trying to keep it as inexpensive as possible - so we probably won't be able to stay on site. We'd like to stay as close as possible (although we will have a car) so we can go back to the hotel mid day for naps and to relax, then return to the park in the evening.

Any comments, insights, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 09:05 AM
ilisa

Katie, this question will open a huge can of worms. We took our daughter to WDW when she was 19 months old and had the best time. I personally think it is a magical time to take a child. We took her on most of the rides that did not have a height restriction (the "Mountains at Magic Kingdom were out). This included Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh, etc. We opted not to do the baby swap, but it certainly is an option. At Animal Kingdom, you must see the Lion King show and take her on the safari and to the petting zoo at Rafiki's Planet Watch. We stayed at All-Star Music on our last trip. Somewhere earlier today, someone posted a message saying you could get $49 deals at the All-Star resorts. Find the post and get the coupon code. The key to success at WDW with a toddler is to keep her needs in mind. Make sure you build in plenty of rest time and realize that you can't do the parks commando style. You won't see everything, and that's ok. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. We are planning another trip for May, 2002 when she will be 3.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Eric

My wife and I are bringing our will be 13 month old son to WDW in October. The trip will obviously more for us but people have told me as long as you take it slow they will have some enjoyment.

As far as information, visit www.wdwinfo.com, for discounts, visit www.mousesavers.com. There you will find the discounted rates mentioned in the prior posts. Also expedia has these cheap disney rates available. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Pat

Our kids are 11 and 15 now, but we took both of them to WDW when they were 2. It was a great trip both times. Be aware that some of the rides at Magic Kingdom (Snow White & Peter Pan for example) take place in the dark. One of our kids didn't like that but he just hid his face and wasn't terribly bothered. The other one didn't mind the darkness at all. Both of them loved seeing the characters. Some days we all went back to the room for nap time, other days only one adult went back while the other one did adult attractions and then we met up later. Fall is a great time to go, it's not so hot and the parks are much less crowded. Even with taking it slow, you can still do quite a bit.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Kristy

My parents took me to WDW when I was two, four, six, etc . . . and never had any kind of problem. They had a fabulous time and I actually can remember some things about the trip! They did go back to the hotel each afternoon so I could take a nap. I think it would be wiser to stay on Disney property, even if it costs a bit more. The convenience will be a godsend for you! The traffic in Orlando can be something else, and it would totally save you the stress of driving back and forth. Try looking into Port Orleans Riverside or French Quarter. They are both beautiful hotels and very reasonably priced. Hope you have a fabulous time like we did! I'm 22 now and my mom and I just went to Disney for the 10th time together! I have loved it ever since I was 2!