Disney Quest or Epcot

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney Quest or Epcot

I'm traveling with 3 children (ages 5, 7, and 14). Is Epcot a good park for the little kids or should we just do Disney Quest for a few hours?
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Epcot will be boring for the younger ones.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:52 AM

The 14 year old would enjoy Disney Quest but I don't think it'll be as fun for the younger kids. On the other hand, I think that Epcot is awesome for kids. The big thing is to be very aware of the show schedule in the World Showcase. Get to the candy artist in Japan about 10 minutes early and park the kids next to her cart. She'll let them pick an animal & color and she'll make that animal for them (free)- my kids loved it. I also really recommend the Chinese acrobats in the China pavillion. Your 14 yr. old will probably enjoy "Off Kilter" in the Canada Pavillion. They're a celtic rock band complete with bagpipe player and one of Epcot's most popular acts.

There are "Kidcot" stations all through Epcot. At the first (and it doesn't matter where you start), they'll get to color a paperboard mask. There are kidcot stations at each pavillion in the world showcase and some in future world too. They'll get their mask rubberstamped at each station and another paperboard decoration. My kids loved it. Also, ask the Chinese and Japanese kidcot attendant to write the kid's name on the mask in their language. My kids were fascinated by the way it looked.

There are great character interactions throughout Epcot (again, check your schedule). The "Character Ice Cream Social" at Epcto is one of the least expensive character "meals".

"Turtle Talk with Crush" (Living Seas pavillion) is great for kids. Do the Spaceship Earth (the silver golf ball) later in the day - it's the first thing you come to so the line tends to be long in the morning. You'll be able to pretty much walk on later.

Be there at Park opening and walk directly to "Soarin'" You'll be able to get on with a reasonable wait if you do it first but the lines get longer and longer as the day progresses. (Or get a fast pass and come back later but know that the fast passes go quickly). Mission Space is amazing. "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" is a fun 3-D movie.

Epcot is my youngest daughter's favorite park. But I cannot stress enough...in the World Showcase, keep an eye on your show schedule!!! If you don't, you'll feel like you're just walking from gift shop to gift shop.

The Mexico restaurant and the Beirgarten (spelling) restaurant in Germany tend to be favorites with kids. You can get standard kid meal fare at any of the restaurants so you don't need to worry too much about accomodating picky eaters.

What ever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful trip. allearsnet.com and wdwinfo.com are great sources of information.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Also, a good touring plan can help you get the most from your trip - especially if you go at a busy time. The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World has cut out touring plans. tourguidemike.com is an online subscription service that also has great articles and printable touring plans. We've used and recommend both. We used the online service this year - in June - and never had more that a 20 minute wait when we stuck to the plan.

Your 5 year old may benefit from a stroller - especially if you're spending multiple days in the parks. There little legs just give out. My cousin bought an umbrella stroller that worked fine for his large 4 year old - it was cheaper than renting the strollers at the park.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 11:20 AM

whew, what a question. You know your kids better than we do. There are many games at Disney Quest, some for kids as young as 5. I went with my husband, son, and son's friend a few years ago and we all had a great time. Keep in mind that you can arrive in the AM at Disney Quest, pay the $20 (or whatever it is) then leave and come back later, if I recall correctly. So you can go shopping, go to lunch, do whatever, then come back later. If your kids are into technology then they will love Disney Quest.

I love Epcot too. It's a traditional sort of theme park. I think your kids would like it too.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:17 AM

My son has loved EPCOT since he was 3 (he's 7). We took him to Disney Quest when he was 5/6 and he had fun but there were several things he couldn't do. All of your kids can do just about everything at EPCOT. Even if the 5 or 7 year old doesn't want to do Mission Space, if you enter through the exit (you're allowed to do this) there are computer games to play, a small playground with climbing tubes and a fun interactive game on a huge screen that involves two teams of several people playing against each other. I always sit here and wait for my husband and son to come off.

My choice would be EPCOT.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 08:26 AM

I'd choose EPCOT as well. It's my favorite park. I love all the countries, and especially TEST TRACK the ride!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:23 PM

How much time do you have available? There are a few attractions in DisneyQuest that the 5 and 7 year olds may not be able to do because of height restrictions. My kids LOVED DQ, and did stay most of the day, but also be forewarned the place is REALLY LOUD!! My husband cannot stand to be in it more than 30 minutes before he gets a migraine! (Honest)
I second the Epcot recommnedations if you want to spend a whole day. Also catch some of the musical acts. Off-Kilter is one of my favorites, they perform near the Canada pavilion. www.offkilter.net I definitely second the candy artist at the Japanese pavilion, she is terrific! There are cool rides at Norway and Mexico in World Showcase. And the Universe of Energy has that classic disney moving theatre to travel thru dinosaur scenes. Whatever you do, you will have fun!
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Epcot for little ones & Disney Quest for teenagers.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:41 PM

Lots more to do at Epcot-14 yr. old would have plenty to see & do also.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 04:31 AM

Definitely Epcot- there is not enough to keep the younger ones entertained at DQ.