Search

Disney in Oct.

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 1998, 03:42 AM
Cheryl

Disney in Oct.

We're taking a trip to Orlando-Disney area in Oct, have a week there are just so many hotels, etc it's hard to decide where to stay. This trip includes 2 adults and 2 teenages ages 15 and 17. We do know we want to spend 4-5 days at Disney and see Universal Studios and Sea World but where do we stay? Is it better to rent a car or rely on transportation from the hotel? Is it better to stay right at Disney or nearby? And how about restaurants? Is it better to just eat at the hotel or plan on making tons of reservations ahead of time? And if your not renting a car will the hotel have transportation to and from the dinner clubs?
We've never traveled like this before so all of this is so new to us and the travel agent gives you only so many choices.
From the messages we've read it seems as if alot of people prefer to stay right at Disney.

Old May 17th, 1998, 11:53 AM
Nancy Walters

We also went to Disney World in October - excellent weather. Plan on staying at a hotel right in the park. There are so many hotels to choose from so you have to kind of go on what kind of theme you might enjoy. We stayed at the Wildnerness Lodge and it was fantastic. Because the transportation system is such that the buses stop at the different hotels along the way we got to see many of the other hotels. It just depends on what you're looking for.

The transportation system is incredible - we were there a week and never needed a car and furthermore never waited more than 10-15 minutes for the buses even after the different theme parks closed. Regarding dinner reservations - we played it by ear and never made reservations and we were able to eat everyplace we wanted with the exception of Epcot Center - make reservations either in advance or as soon as you enter the park. Plan on wearing really really comfortable shoes and maybe making a two day trip for Epcot. It is an exhausting day.

Please feel free to email me with any other questions you may have. I'll be glad to help you as much as I can.

Old May 17th, 1998, 12:17 PM
Susan

I love staying at Disney- nobody does it like Disney does! They have hotels in all price ranges and types. Staying on the grounds gives you a total experience. You will not need a rental car as Disney takes care of all the transportation on the grounds. However, I don't know exactly how you work getting to Universal- my husband always feels like we should have a car when we are there. You will have a wonderful time, and you should try different restaurants, especially at EPCOT's World Showcase.
There are good restaurants throughtout all the parks and you can make reservations from your Disney Hotel or from the parks. You don't have to change, you can make the restaurants part of your day.

Old May 19th, 1998, 12:08 AM
Lia

Our 15 and 17 year olds were glad to get away from Disney, so we enjoyed having a rented car. Cape Canaveral is interesting - especially if a shuttle or missle launch is scheduled. We played at Coco Beach while we waited for the launch. Even a cancelled launch (which we've experienced twice) was exciting as we anxiously listened to the count down. We also loved Gatorland which takes only half a day and requires a car. So much to do.. so little time! What was the favorite ride??? Hollywood Tower of Terror at MGM..Skip the Hercules parade and you'll have no lines!

Old May 19th, 1998, 04:19 PM
c kyle

October is a really good time to go, although I think there is a golfing thing at that time of year to beware. We have stayed off Disney Grounds and on and I much prefer ON Disney property. You might want to stay on site for the 4-5 days you are planning there and then stay off sight on International Drive. There is no point spending lots of money on a Disney Hotel if you are going to be other places. We have stayed at the Homewood Suites. It was nice, they have a free breakfast in the morning and afternoon munchies. Having a fridge was nice. We made all of our lunches and put them in the locker in Disneyworld (all the parks have lockers at the entrance) This way we didn't get sick of eating in restaurants. Staying on site is way cool. Great pools, great staff and convenient, convenient, convenient!! You also get into the parks 1-11/2 hrs earlier than other guests just by staying in a disney hotel. This is when you get most of your rides in. Have a great time, and check out the library and get all the disney books out and read about disney with the family. Planning makes your disney holiday the ultimate. p.s. don't stay at the Delta Orlando Resort. We checked in and checked right out again! (gross) and it was the same price as the All Star resort at Disney.(which we have stayed at and it is terrific!!!) Any ? just email me. Cori

Old May 20th, 1998, 06:36 PM
Anne

Staying onsite is terrific and we have checked out some of the properties although I hear a lot is new. This July we will stay at the new Coronado Springs and also at the Vistana Resort. This a 5 star property and with an Orlandomagicard (free) you stay 3 nights and get the 4th free. You may want to check out the Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista, breakfast is included as are evening munchies and you have more space. Do not stay in Kissimmee or on International Drive. I'd divide my time between Disney proper and Lake Buena Vista. We stayed at Dixie Landings before and it was great but I would not do it without a car. You need the freedom because dining in the world can be expensive. I love this kind of stuff so feel free to email me. Anne