Search

Disney Baby

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 11:20 AM
Disneybound

Disney Baby

I am interested in recommendations for places to stay in the Disney area (close as possible). We are taking an 11 year old and a 2 year old to Disney. I would like something with a kitchen and more than one room (somewhere to close the door so baby can sleep). Any suggestions? I don't want to spend $400/night. Something more reasonable. How do I begin to search?

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 11:27 AM
x

Start searching here

http://www.wdwig.com/

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 12:48 PM
Mickey

Are you asking about Disneyland or Disneyworld? Posters should keep in mind that Minnie and I are a bi-coastal couple and keep residences in both California and Florida.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 12:59 PM
Disneybound

Sorry, I am asking about WDW.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:08 PM
d.embody

We've stayed at the Homewood Suites several times before and have been quite pleased. One location is just about a mile from Disneyworld. They have 1 and 2 bedroom units and a seperate living room with a sofa sleeper. They also have full kitchens.

Old Aug 3rd, 2001, 03:14 PM
Disney Fan

You neglected to include what month you are visiting and if you will also have a car...probably not, since you want something as close as possible.
Do visit the website:

www.wdwig.com

Lots of helpful tips there.

Have you thought of renting a house?
There are MANY of them with very reasonable rates and many with their own private pool. They are completely equipped, you just bring your clothes. You can also rent condos tho' I would suggest looking at a private house....lots more room, more bedrooms -- wouldn't it be nice to have 3 separate bedrooms so all concerned can have PRIVACY? You know what I mean!
Anyway, use an excellent search engine, called Google, at:

www.google.com

type in search words

orlando vacation rentals

Good luck and have fun!

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 03:32 AM
DisneyMama

As a family that goes to DisneyWorld at least once a year, I always shake my head when I read posts from people saying that staying on property is the ONLY way to go. I don't think people realize that a lot of these "on property" hotels many times are miles away from the entrance and right next door to other "non-Disney" properties. It makes me wonder if some of these posters are Disney employees.

Anyhow....the US192 area is the place to stay. Last year we stayed at the Clarion Resort World. For around $100 a night we had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, complete kitchen, living room, dining room and laundry area. Go to www.choicehotels for a complete listing.

Many of the hotels in the Disney area are going to "suites" - they work out wonderfully. Even Travelocity is great for putting in your criteria and finding hotels in the area, although I wouldn't book through them. I'd find a few names of hotels that interested me and then go to their website directly.

Sorry if I upset any Disney property devotees!

Old Aug 4th, 2001, 03:39 AM
Karen

Holiday Inn also has a property close to Disney with different themed family suites. 2 bedrooms, living room and kitchen. Depending on time of year can be a very good bargain and they also offer free shuttle to the parks.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Pat

I have to agree with DisneyMama. We have been to WDW many times. I've checked out the on-site hotels and always feel that you get so much more for your money staying off-site. Unless you are planning to do exclusively Disney stuff (including all meals), you'll need a car even on-site. Unless money is no object, staying on-site doesn't make sense to me. The US192 area is great. Big choice of hotels and lots of family restaurants.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Jill

Check out the Residence Inn by Marriott - Have stayed there twice, depending on what season you go, prices fluctuate. One time, we had a two bedroom, with kitchen, living room, washer/dryer- all for 89.00/night! This also included continental type breakfast, although with a fridge, microwave, etc., we made our own breakfast before leaving for the parks. Saves time and money. Definitely recommend a car. I am not a Disney employee (live in Indiana) but, I do prefer staying on property. Just like the Disney atmosphere I guess. But I also didn't have a baby with me at the time, makes a huge difference. Also, at the Residence Inn, you get to use the huge pool at the Marriott hotel (adjacent to Residence Inn, just ask for a room near the walkway) It was great, had a slide, waterfall, etc. Residence Inn has a pool, but pretty small.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 06:42 AM
geth

I too am planning a disney world vacation for my family, scheduled for january, 2003. I have to say, I can't quite believe these vacation home rentals. Is this for real? My soon to be husband and I will be traveling with my three children, my parents and probably his parents too, and these homes seem too good to be true.

Has anyone here stayed in these vacation homes? I just can't believe we could get a nice 5 br, 3 bath, pool, home, for about 200 bucks a night or less.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 06:52 PM
cedsmom

DisneyBound,
We are going in two weeks with a 19 month and a 4 year old. We are staying at the Holiday Inn Family Suites Hotel. It has a seperate kid themed suite area, kitchen, living room. It is close to Disney and has free shuttle to parks. It also has a free breakfast buffet in the mornings.

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:37 PM
marge

There is a whole big rental industry in Florida.

I've always had luck looking for vacation rentals at vacationspot.com.
The Disney area has tons of real homes you can rent, complete with pools, kitchens, etc. Another spot: vrbo.com
Ever since I've been renting condos vs. staying in hotels/motels, I am convinced it is the only way to go....you've got all the comforts of home (some are even better than home)...and you'll spend around $100 per night..you'll save on eating out. You'll be able to eat breakfast in your pjs and not have to take the crew down for breakfast...something I like a lot...

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:43 PM
marge

To Selena: YES, it is true...you can rent a four to five bedroom home for cheaper than a hotel...people buy these homes for investment purposes, rent them out for a few years, then turn them over or use them themselves for their own vacation homes....a lot of these homes are sold as rental homes. I have not had any problems so far and we've been doing this for upwards of a few years now...

What usually happens is you put a deposit on the home, then about 60-days before your trip, you pay the rest with a damage depost (usually $300)...some charge this on their credit cards...if you don't damage anything, you get this money back)...it's still worth it...