Discount Hotel Sites...

Search

Discount Hotel Sites...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discount Hotel Sites...

First, I was wondering if there was still a site like Bidding for Travel around (they seem to have closed shop)? I'm totally clueless about these bidding sites and a website like that would help.

Secondly, I need a place in Manhattan for the first week of May. Everything is too expensive, plain and simple. Not I-don't-want-to-pay-that-much too expensive, but downright can't afford it. Considering my companion, a hostel doesn't seem like an option, so we are left needing to get a discount. I know, easier said than done.

First, which 'bidding' site is the best? Secondly, for those who are familiar with the systems, what is the lowest price you think I could get per/night in Manhattan?

See, originally, we were going as a group of 4 or 5, which made the normal hotel rates affordable. However, now that we are splitting it only two ways, the rooms are just too much. Unfortunately, we are commited to the trip. I need to find something...
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:42 AM
GoTravel

If hotels are already too expensive for you on regular sites, chances are they will be on priceline or hotwire.

Have you checked hotwire yet?

I would go to www.BiddingForTravel.com and www.BetterBidding.com and spend a couple of hours learning how to bid.

There really aren't any shortcuts to this valuable information.

Manhattan is an expensive city. May is a really busy time. Prices will be cheaper in August if you can wait.

Also, try www.SideStep.com

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:57 AM
JBX

Priceline is a good option, and like above poster suggested, you should read those two bidding sites to learn how to make the best use of the bidding approach.

A family member of mine is planning a few days visit to NYC during early May and an "affordable" hotel she found in Midtown/Theatre district is the Best Western Presidential on 48th St/8th Ave. I think the AARP or AAA rate was around $145/night.

While I was helping her search, I ran across this website >>> http://www.hotelconxions.com

Another option may be an apartment rental? Have you looked on 'Vacation Rental By Owners? . . .
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals.../new-york-city
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:09 AM

Can you share your budget? Let us know your criteria and maybe we can find something.

In the meantime, have you looked at www.applecorehotels.com ? These usually include a lite breakfast so that does add to the value.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Biddingfortravel.com is working and fine. I posted several bid results during the last week, most recently yesterday.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:41 AM

You've gotten lots of good advice. I'll just mention that Priceline seems to work best for shorter stays (4-5 days or less). If you're staying for longer than that, consider breaking up the trip (making 2 separate bids and being prepared to change hotels).

Betterbidding seems to be the "friendlier" site but I actually find BFT a bit easier to read. I think the head of it was sick for a while, but things seem back up and running.

I'll also add quikbook.com as a site to check. No amazing bargains, but often cheaper than the hotels' own site. (like the Salisbury, an excellent budget option---nycsalisbury.com but quikbook often cheaper---$172/night for your dates for 2 double beds!).

Another good budget option is Radio City Apartments (radiocityapartments.com)

Not ideal, but if necessary, consider staying in Jersey City near a PATH train. THe Regency Hyatt Jersey CIty gets great reviews on tripadvisor, has awesome views of Manhattan and is next to the PATH train. People are "winning" it for as little as $60.night on Priceline.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Another site to try is hotels4less.com.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:30 PM

As mentioned, it would be helpful to share your budget. But when you do, also your exact dates. Rates can vary widely from day to day, weekend to weekend.

Also, are there any particular requirements that you have besides "in Manhattan", or are your pretty open?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

First of all, thanks for the biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com links. Obviously I was mistaken re: bidding for travel.

As far as our budget, I would have to say $150/night Canadian. And even that is high. We'll be there the first week of May. For four nights...either Monday to Friday or Tuesday to Saturday.

We are fairly easy about location, if it is going to mean saving money. We'll mostly be seeing theatre in the evenings, so mid-town is nice, but again -- we want to save as much as possible.

And thanks for all the links, they are being bookmarked and extensive notes are being taken.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM

ian, you can't get there from here, as they say. $150 Canadian is $130 US. If that has to include tax, you're now talking about a room for $110/night. Even on Priceline, that will be a challenge for NYC.

First week in May is a very popular time. I would say you're only real option (apart from a change in budget or dates) is to concentrate on getting a good price in New Jersey. If you could get that Hyatt in Jersey City on Priceline, you'd be golden. The other 3* in Jersey City that people win is the Doubletree Club which also gets very good reviews on Priceline.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Okay, thanks again for all your replies!

Okay, so I'm beginning to see that what I want and what I'm going to get are just not going to match up, lol. Two questions:

If we stayed in Jersey, how do we get into Manhattan everyday? Is it easy from the hotel? How late can we stay in the City and still get back? Is it safe late at night? These would be the concerns we'd have.

Second (okay, well not second, I count about four questions above, so...fifth..ly), can anyone describe the NYC hostel experience? We are thinking Youth Hostelling International. I've never stayed in a hostel, we aren't hostel type people I don't think, but at $30/night, we'd consider it. Is it loud? Can you get sleep? I'm picturing drunken college chicks crashing into the room at 4:00 in the morning. Has anyone done it?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:40 PM

There are quite a few winning bids for 3-4* NYC at $120. With tax and fees, that's a little bit over your budget, but it'll still be better than other hotels you can find for that money.

I've also seen a 3* on Hotwire in the SoHo-Downtown area for $133 on some dates I punched in. That's another possibility.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:01 AM

If you go to tripadvisor.com there are reviews of all hotels including most of the hostels. I can't describe the hosteling experience, but I can tell you some hostels offer private rooms for 2 (maybe bunk beds or 2 twin beds so not necessarily romantic but private, none the less). The YMCA Vanderbilt I believe has these. For a regular hostel, the HI International you mention is evidently the nicest, but it's pretty far north on the upper westside.

But before going the hostel route where, in a bunk situation you'd be sharing a bathroom, why wouldn't you consider a hotel with shared bath? I think the Larchmont in Greenwich Village is supposed to be pretty good and very well located. Read reviews here

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

As to the Jersey thing, the PATH train is evidently right next to the Regency Hyatt. I think it's a block or 2 from the Doubletree Club, the other possible Jersey City hotel on Priceline. Why not read reviews of both on Priceline.

I think the PATH trains do stop running at about midnight, but there are buses and a light rail train that I THINK run all night. If you are late night people and plan to be out regularly past midnight, this is probably not the best option for you.

Would help to advise you if we knew what your plans are.

Some more ideas---the Cosmopolitan Hotel in Tribeca if available is $145 + tax for 1 double bed if available.
cosmohotel.com Good reliable budget option. I'd book that (or the Larchmont or something) immediately to have a fall back plan. Then I'd start reading up about Priceline and start bidding 4* midtown east, 4* midtown west and 4* upper midtown. It doesn't pay to bid less than 4* in NYC b/c you don't pay much less for 3*, you don't have as many free re-bid zones (if you don't understand a free re-bid zone, you don't understand PL and shouldn't be bidding yet) and there are some real clinkers in the bunch but most all 4* are great.

Are you flying down? There are some hotels in Queens nearish La Guardia that are cheap and not too bad. Near subway but not the same as staying in Manhattan.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 04:14 AM

Meant to say read reviews on tripadvisor, not Priceline. (although there might be links to reviews)
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much!

You're right, I think shared bath is our best bet, even if it is more than the hostels. I called the Larchmont and unfortunately they can't accomodate our entire stay (it seems really nice though and will keep it in mind for future trips). The Pickwick Arms does have rooms available though, so we are going to go with them as a backup. We are going to spend the extra $20/night and take a renovated room, as those get good reviews, while the older rooms seem to be quite disliked.

And now I will start reading up Priceline and see what we can do there.

I'll let you know how it turns out!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 09:49 AM

Check out the Larchmont hotel in the village area. The location is great, it includes a continental breakfast and it gets good reviews on tripadvisor, the downside is you have shared bathrooms for each floor.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:08 AM

Depends on how ghetto vs location you want to go but the cheapest hotel i've found is www.madison-hotel.com/. Not exactly salubrious and if they try to refer you to their sister htoel dont even bother but it does have its own bathroom, is clean and has a fairly decent location.

The trade off? It also seems to let to people on social, so some interesting convo's can be overheard on way to rooms!

Not great but it is a great price and in NY.

Hostels are ok if you get a private room and dont mind the shared bathroom, prob nicer than the above but it depends on which one... http://www.chelseahostel.com/rates.html was ok, small but clean and safe and while you may get some drunken people its on the road with a police station so not too much noise happens late on.

Good luck!
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:02 PM

http://www.bookingbuddy.com/
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 03:24 PM
trippinkpj

There was a B&B Greenwich Village lodging post that gave this website (rooms all with private baths): http://www.incentravillage.com/index.html

It still maybe more than you orignally wanted to pay...

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 05:39 PM

Ian, you have so many options but I sense that your perception of your horizons is limiting you.

Heck, you could likely find a DECENT chain hotel through Priceline adjacent to one of NY's airports which wouldn't even have to come close to your limit.

I recall staying at a Ramada (I believe it was) near to JFK for a base bid of about $43 or $45 per night in March a few years back. Surely you could get yourself from a major airport to anywhere you wanted to go in Manhattan without too much fear, right?

Just realize that you simply don't need a posh hotel right next to a Park Avenue estate and then a whole world of opportunities will open for you.

Last time I went I stayed in Jersey, not far from the Newark airport, but I had a car then... so I don't recommend that for you. But the base rate on a chain hotel, through Priceline, was again $50 U.S. maximum.

Look more deeply into priceline... firt at Biddingfortravel... and checking the "hotel list" there... for NYC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -