discount car rental buffalo NY

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi i will be flyng to buffalo and will need to rent a car for 5-6 days. searching the main car rental companies has yielded rates of 50.00 or so per day for a midsize, which seems ridiculously high. any recommendation? is priceline better than hotwire? which rental car companies are more convenient (ie CAR ONSITE at airport)? thanks, k
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:53 PM

I'm flying to Buffalo tomorrow. Used Priceline to bid on a compact car and ended up paying $15 a day from Avis. I have also used Hotwire for car rentals in the past but recently it seems that I've had more success with Priceline. With Hotwire, you can see what they have available before you commit; they don't show name of company but you can see what the price will be. It isn't a bidding process like Priceline. Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know.

Convenience won't be an issue if you decide to go with Priceline or Hotwire. The major car rental establishments (Hertz, Avis, National,etc.) all have their cars right at the airport - no need to take a shuttle to them.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 05:12 AM

Just did a quick check for you on my sidestep.com program and for a mid-size, you're right it's about $45/day (plus tax) with everyone. Prices drop to $33 for smaller cars but if there's more than 2 of you that's a problem.

On biddingfortravel.com (website for PL) they have a list of discount codes. You might try using a few different codes to see what kind of price reduction that gets you.
Old Jul 31st, 2004, 11:37 AM

Prices vary depending on pickup date. I have usually found that hotwire/priceline are just a couple bucks less per day, and you give up the freedom of being able to cancel. You pay even if you don't show up. No refunds.

Go to rentalcodes.com and choose National Car Rental. click down on the discount where it links to "Mastercard" or "Visa" (whichever card you plan to rent with). You print out a coupon for an upgrade to a midsize car, then choose "compact" when putting in your dates. This should come out to about $31 a day. (Your confirmation will say "mid size".)
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 07:27 PM

I was checking the ALamo site for a rental car in Buffalo and checke dout their "Hot Specials" or whatever they call it. They offer a SUV for Buffalo for $39/day.
Old Aug 2nd, 2004, 05:12 AM

I typically save up to half by renting on Priceline.