Disappointing SF Elderhostel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just returned from my first Elderhostel...San Francisco Theater. Lectures on history and current theater in SF did not occur as scheduled and we attended less plays then on itinerary. Instead we had lectures and videos on Hollywood Musicals and SF in film and TV. The restaurants they took us to were of fair to poor quality. (I did have a great lunch on my own at the Slanted Door|). Saving points were that the other 28 participants were great and I did enjoy being in SF.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM

I've only been on four Elderhostel trips. I found the best things was meeting people and simply enjoying their company. They seem to be the same kind of people that we are.....like to see and do things, but don't demand special attention.

As you noticed the food and rooms are not what you would call 5 star, but for the price..OK. A couple of the programs were most enjoyable. A couple would have been rather blah had it not been for the people.

We went to places that we would not have normally gone on our own. So for the price, I think it was worth it. would I go again? I don't know. It would depend a lot on where and when.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I'm just curious, can you tell us who your guide was?
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 11:38 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I don't know if "guide" is the right term, so I'll just ask...was Jonathan Rothmann (sp?) one of your hosts/lecturers?
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Our hostess was Nahdine Guzzetta and the lecturer was John Stanley. The travel company who ran it was Siemer & Hand Travel
Old Jan 23rd, 2007, 11:13 AM

Susie, if you go to the EH website, there is a URL posted, or ask on the travel talk page of EH - the travelers post their independent reports somewhere on AOL. Also, one of the travelers, not an EH employee, maintains a regular e-mail with reports, if you want, I can give you his address.

I've heard some negative reports about Bay Area EHs. Sorry you are disappointed. The same happened to me in Palm Springs.

However, the other 2 I've been to, Sequoia and Oregon, were superb!

So, don't be discouraged, do go to other programs, just make sure you read reports.