Dinner suggestions for Maui somewhere between the airport and Kaanapali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Maui next month with my Husband and Daughter (age 4). We arrive in Maui at 4 pm, and we're staying in Kaanapali. Do you have any suggestions for a nice, not too expensive (less than $80) for the three of us.

I'd like something that is not fast food, but still easy. I know our daughter will be tired after a very, very long day of travelling. Any good suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM

There are lots of restuarants in Lahaina with is just south of Kaanapali. Kimo's would be good. There are also several restaurants in Whaler's Village in Kaanapali. Leilani is good there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:10 AM

Where are you staying in Kaanapali? Whaler's Village is a short walk from some of the hotels, and it's not that long a drive from the airport to Kaanapali, 30-40 minutes. Your daughter may fall asleep once you've been in the car for 5 minutes!

You may all feel better just getting to the hotel, parking once, then walking to dinner and watching the beautiful sunset.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

We're staying at the Kaanapali Royal. I'll look into the Whaler's Village. Thank you for your suggestions iamq and gigib.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:53 AM

If you arrive late or your daugher otherwise just can't wait to eat - we had a good meal at Manana Garage in Kahului about a mile from the airport.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
dmlove

Another possibility due to the time you arrive (by the time you get out of the airport it will BE dinner time), is Paia Fish Market. Casual, noisy, order at the counter place with terrific food. It's a few miles out of your way, but Paia is a cute little town, so you could combine dinner with a "visit".

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I've heard great things about the Paia Fish Market from friends. We'll definitely stop there sometime during the week.

I think Leilani's beachside grill looks perfect. It's not too expensive, and we can eat outside and look at the ocean (something pretty cool for my little MT landlocked daughter), and it's within walking distance from our condo.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
dmlove

If the wait at Leilani's is too long, just go across the walk to Hula Grill (the beach bar) -- sandy beach, casual menu (crab wontons, that kind of thing), live music. They may be owned by the same outfit.

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:36 PM

Our first stop is always Costco. We load up the car with most of the things we need and then head to our condo. Then, we unpack, have a shower and a drink and head to Sansei. Wonderful sushi!
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:37 PM

Oh shoot - Sansei's not in the area you desired. There are plenty of sushi places in Lahaina, though.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, dmlove, for the additional suggestion. TTess, I think we're going to save Costco for the day after we arrive. I don't want our knothead to have to wait too long to eat.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
iceeu2

kureiff, I know this sounds absolutely nuts, but....Costco has a great hot dog.....and, it just tastes better in Hawaii!

Have a wonderful time.

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM

kureiff,

The Beachside Bar downstairs at Leilani's is a more casual, bar-like place than upstairs.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
iceeu2

kureiff, Costco is right at the airport.

Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM

icee - i was thinking the same thing about the hot dogs. Aloooha!
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM

We had a wonderful dinner at Buzz's Wharf in Maalaea Harbor when we were there last year. Just look at their website buzzswharf.com Should work since it's on your way and only 15 minutes from the airport. Awesome prawns! Enjoy!
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Icee: I've only been to the Big Island, but I would agree that everything tasted better there. I bet the same is true for Maui.

Thank you all for your great suggestions!

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:25 AM
dmlove

The hot dogs at Costco are "worth a trip" (well, not really, but they're excellent!)

Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:09 AM

One of my favorite places in Lahaina is Aloha Mixed Plate. You can sit outside, the food is cheap and the view is beautiful.

I would try to make a quick stop at Costco because you are right there when you leave the airport. Maybe get your daughter a snack at Costco if you don't want to eat a hot dog.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM

Another thing about Whaler's Village. It is usually very crowded and the wait for a meal can be long. My DD and I went there our first night in Kannapali. It was packed. Lots of people with young children who seemed very tired. We picked the restaurant with the shortest wait but it was still about 45 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -