Reload this Page >

Dinner in NYC this Sunday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:10 PM
John

Heading up to NYC Sunday with my wife for a belated Valentine dinner. Looking for suggestions in Manhattan. Thanks.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:29 PM
foodlover

what's your budget?

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:39 PM
sam

Sorry, there are no restaurants in New York City, guess you will have to go hungry.
Unless people start giving at least a few details, how can anyone even think to answer them?

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 12:55 PM
John

Money is not an issue.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 01:12 PM
L

John - Just for starters, look quickly at the Zagat's top 40 ... most are winners. Look at the Food rating numbers. Recently ate at Jean-Georges on the West Side - front room (the rear is much more formal). Nobu is excellent. Zoe in TriBeCa. Danny Meyer's places. Daniel. In NYC, it's tough to strike out. But do look at Zagat's .. their food ratings are usually very reliable, Just an idea: why not do one of the fixed price things at an expensive place, for lunch, and then hit another place very late for supper ... you'd be able to try two, not just one. Have fun.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 01:18 PM
howard

There are literally hundreds (thousands?) to choose from. Checking out Zagat's is a good suggestion. Whatever you decide, make reservations ASAP. You're probably already late for a lot of them.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 01:38 PM
John

I know, I plan to decide tonight and get a reservation tomorrow.
Any thoughts on Tribeca Grill?
What about the Hudson Hotel for drinks?

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 06:35 PM
oakman15

If you choose the Tribeca Grill, instead of the Hudson Hotel for coctails, check out the Tribeca Grand hotels bar. I am sure you will be impressed and you can walk to the restaurant.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:44 AM
foodlover

hudson hotel is a zoo - you have to get there at 6 to get in. tribeca grill is very good but not too terribly romantic. Alison on Dominick is one of my favorite places in the city - delicious and incredibly romantic, in the same general area as tribeca grill. bouley bakery is wonderful, too. Someone mentioned Zoe - great restaurant. Chanterelle. The Dining Room, on the Upper East Side.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 10:04 AM
jhm

I really don't think Sunday night reservations are such a problem -- a lot of places, however (Il Mulino leaps to mind) are closed, so you may want to look into that. Let us know what you pick! Other romantic, no-budget-constraints suggestions (which may or may not be closed Sunday night -- I have no idea): La Grenouille, Chez es Saada (Moroccan), Rainbow Room, Aureole. Good luck!

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 10:34 AM
L

Zagat's index in the back will tell you what's open on weekend days ... and possibly codes with the write-ups .. I forget. Ciao

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:14 PM
nyer

Waters Edge in LIC is the place--you can take their private yacht to it from east side/33rd st; breathtaking views of nyc & decent food in a formal atmosphere.
Very romantic. No contest--this is the place. Lots of opportunity to kiss in the most romantic waterfront/on the seas setting. Like a mini cruise.
I have no financial connection w/WE.