Dinner in LA by the Pantages...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to Fiddler on the Roof this coming Sunday and I am looking for a place for dh and I to have dinner prior. We really like all types of food - would prefer to keep it around 100.00 prior to tip or less. ...
Favorites are sushi - seafood - Italian - Chinese ...
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you looking for something within walking distance? Or what direction are you driving in from?

www.loteriagrill.com
www.luckydevils-la.com
www.micelisrestaurant.com
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

We are coming up from Orange County - walking would be great but my memory does not say anything is really around there? Am I wrong?
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

I think we are going to do Katsuya Hollywood - it got good reviews on other sites...

anyone here?
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:15 PM

If it's at the Music Center, why not eat downtown? Plenty of good options in your price range -- Roy's, Nic N Stef's, Cafe Pinot. Kendall's Brasserie? (I don't work for the Patina group LOL but they do have a lot of options downtown).
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 11:29 PM

When I go to the Pantages I usually eat at Musso & Franks, it is old school but I like it.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 04:40 AM

Speaking of old world, I think Miceli's is a hoot with its raffia covered chianti bottles and a 60's style Vegas lounge singer and good but old fashioned Italian red sauce food. It's like a successful attempt at a "theme restaurant", but I think they're just still stuck in the past. Well below your budget.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 05:58 AM

two of our favorite italian restaurants are very close to there...

MOZZA (mario batali) 641 N Highland Ave,
it is pretty hard to get a reservation at either the pizzeria or the osteria (right next door to eachother), but there is also a bar where you can eat.

ANGELINI OSTERIA 7313 Beverly Blvd
small, but delicious food. maybe the best italian in LA, imo.

both are with 5 -10 min drive of the pantages.

musso frank is classic, and you can definitely walk to the pantages from there.

have fun!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

musso Frank does not get great reviews on the food - do you like the atmosphere SeaUrchin or the food too?

I will look into the other options! Thank you.

Melissa I am sorry I am a little confused - is the music center the Pantages? I have only been to the Pantages 2 or 3 times and have not heard to it as that.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 08:12 AM

The Pantages is in Hollywood and the music center is in downtown LA so no they are not the same place.

When we went to see Wicked we walked over one block to Sunset Blvd and went to Fabiolus. The dinner was fine and they have a nice back patio. Next door I believe is Magnolia's which looked good. We had a group of 6 with 2 cars so it was easier to just walk. I did look at Katsuya but there were people in our party who didn't like fish. It does get good reviews.

There was a really nice place in Los Feliz that I wanted to try but can't think of the name right now. If I do, I will let you know.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 08:44 AM

I like the atmosphere and I know which items to order on the menu, such as the grilled meats, sanddabs, the specials. I am not sure if the long time waiters are still there, Sergio and Manny Felix, if they take you under their wings they will suggest what to order. Ask Sergio for his special potatoes. Great bar drinks too, with long time bar tenders.

Maybe you had better stick to the places where others on this post have mentioned since I haven't been there this year at all, but I used to be a regular.

Patrick, I agree Miceli's is a hoot, odd old timers hangout, too. Something a bit different in a topsy turvy way.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

SeaUrchin - that sounds great!

Thanks for the clarifying on the Pantages & the Music Center.

I do want to just walk some place - just easier. Last time we went to Wicked we were staying in Santa Monica and had dinner at BOA which we both really enjoyed.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 06:56 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Oh, we ate a great place! I'll check my trip report and let you know. As I remember, it's 2 or 3 blocks away.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 07:04 PM

My West Hollywood friend took me here -

LOVED our lunch!

http://www.charcoalhollywood.com/

I corrupted usually healthy eating FF by ordering the spinach and artichoke dip. A lemon drop for me and I can't remember what for him Wedge salad here with chicken added for protein and crab cakes sandwich there. We shared the upside down apple pie. Wonderful meal.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Starrs - that looks GREAT - I am really excited to see "fiddler on the roof" I have never seen it and found out recently that my family is from the Ukraine!
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Wow, starrs. That does look great. Looks like my kinda place.
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

It really does - doesn't it Patrick? I think I might have winner winner chicken dinner
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 07:41 PM

Glad y'all like the looks of it
FF and I have eaten countless expense account dinners to the point that a meal out is often "just another meal".
He picked it but we both loved it. The decor, the mood, the vibe, the drinks, the food AND the shared dessert. A winner all around - and very close to the Pantages.

Enjoy Fiddler, MomDD. I fell in love with the musical as a kid. If you don't have the CD buy it before you go. My favs are Tradition!, Sunrise, Sunset and Matchmaker. I loved the Pantages too. Enjoy your time together
Old Jul 30th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Starrs! I love If I were a rich man! I should get the CD to listen to on our drive up.
Old Aug 1st, 2009, 07:19 PM

You are in for a treat. We saw Fiddler last Saturday, and it was wonderful. My very analytical and critical DH loved it. Topol has gotten better with age.

I don't know if "Off Vine" has reopened after a fire there, but if it has, and if you can get reservations, it's a delightful restaurant.

If you want to eat on Beverly Boulevard, there are a number of excellent restaurants there. Grace is one, Hatfield's is another. Also, on Sunset Blvd. is Jar, also excellent. None within walking distance, though.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -