Notices

Dinner for One in San Francisco

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:41 AM
Teddy

Dinner for One in San Francisco

I will be spending three days in San Francisco in March for a seminar. I am going alone, and I will not know anyone there. I'd appreciate recommendations for good restaurants for dinner (I'm pretty open as to style and ethnicity). I'll be dining alone so nothing too romantic or expensive; I'm looking for good food where I won't look too odd eating alone with my book. The seminar is at the Ritz, so restaurant suggestions nearby would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Ken

If you like Italian food try L'Ottavo Ristorante at 629 Sutter. Excellent food, reasonably priced, and I think you would be fine there with your book. They do have a website www.citysearch.com/sfo/lottavo The homepage says it is "attractive and intimate restaurant" but I would NOT hesitate to dine there alone, you'll be fine! The website also shows prices so you can see if it fits your budget.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Ann

Hi Teddy,
There is a cafe on the corner of Powell & Sutter (?) called Cafe Espresso. It's cafeteria style, but has very good soups, sandwiches, fruit, etc. There is seating and you can comfortably read while you eat. While we were there we saw both travelers & business people eating alone and in groups. This is not haute cuisine, but it is good food reasonably priced. Also, they have great coffee. Have fun!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:31 AM
kam

Little cafe next to the SF MOMA--can't remember the name right now, but you can't miss it. There are also good restaurants where you can eat at the bar, but they are pricey---Absinthe and Jardiere are two.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Susan

Teddy, if you like shellfish try out the Swan Oyster Depot on Polk Street. It has bar seating, the food is great and not terribly expensive.