Reload this Page >

Dining out in Wailea, Maui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 06:34 AM
Jennifer

My husband and I are going to Maui this summer. We will be staying at the Four Seasons in Wailea. We'd like to know if there are any good inexpensive restaurants in this area that serve breakfast and dinner. Thanks!

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 10:20 AM
Jon

You are staying in the wrong place if you are looking for inexpensive! The Four Seasons is expensive and the whole Wailea area is expensive.
To eat at inexpensive places, you will need to drive about 15 minutes from your hotel, and go into the town of Kihei. There you will find dozens and dozens of moderate and inexpensive restaurants.

For lists of the best restaurants on Maui, as well as LOTS of other info about things to see and do on Maui, read and/or print the 30-page paper available on this web site:
http://members.aol.com/Derm1/index.html

Jon

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 01:59 PM
Jennifer

Jon, I realize that the entire Wailea area is expensive...that's why I wanted to know if there were ANY inexpensive restaurants in that area. We can't eat at the Four Seasons every night.Thanks.

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 02:44 PM
Annemarie

Guess who? Yes, it's me again, Annemarie. We stayed next door at the Kea Lani. Hope I didn't already give you this info, don't think I did. Here it goes. The Seawatch is supposed to be good. The Maui Onion, poolside 2 hotels down at the Renaissance serves great burgers, onion rings, etc. The Pacific Grill at the Four Seasons is the more reasonable place and is supposed to be great. Sandcastles at the shopping plaza in Wailea has a lunch menu all day long and is very reasonable, casual and good. The Kea Lani next door has Caffe Ciao an italian takeout and casual deli type eatery with huge sandwiches, great baking and cold salads. In the evening they make a brick oven pizza outside. Purchase snacks at the small grocery/pharmacy where Sandcastles is. Go into Kihei and buy your pop, wine, etc. Do you have a frig? Buy your juices and pop over to the Kea Lani for a muffin in the a.m. If you drive up to Kapalua for part of a day, the Honolua Store outside the Ritz is a neat place with take out or picnic tables to eat there. The Kapalua shopping village aat the Kapalua Bay hotel has another casual restaurant that had good food. Either this property or the Napili Beach Club property had an outside restaurant overlooking the beach that wasn't badly priced. Leilanis in Kanapaali was pretty good and reasonable. We did not like the buffets at the Marriott. Pick up a gourmet picnic at Picnics in Paia on your way up the Hana Highway as there are no restaurants once you start. My girlfriend's daughter came back in August and stayed there for her honeymoon(FS) and said the hotels recommended good places for them to eat. They did not have one lousy meal. Hope this helps. Have a great time! Annemarie

Old Jan 23rd, 1999, 02:48 PM
Annemarie

Sorry, forgot Cheeseburgers in Paradise in Lahaina. Yes, Jon was right. You can get cheaper food in Kihei(KFC?), etc. but you also won't feel like you were in Hawaii, just a big commercial strip. We bought a barbecued chicken at the grocery store there one night. So, go in and pick up a couple groceries and get the heck out!! Have fun!

Old Jan 27th, 1999, 10:43 AM
David

Theres a small shopping area in Wailea with a restaurant called the Sand Dollar or Sand Castle or something like that- Its good food at decent prices, we always had cheese sticks there (just a craving at the time). Sorry I can't remember the actual name. Other than that there are places in Kehei that relatively cheap, even a Denny's and Taco Bell if you want to go that cheap! One thing though, You have got to try Carrelli's on the Beach, its expensive but its one of the most romantic restaurants and the food is excellent! Make sure you get a ocean side table! It's between Kehei and Wailea across the street from the Maui Hill Condos.

Old Jan 28th, 1999, 10:37 AM
mOLLY

You will LOVE the Four Seasons. We stayed 10 days and ended up eating lunch there most days since it was most convenient. There are lots of nice restaurants for dinner, etc. in Kihei. Try to get on the B&B package at the Four Seasons so that you can eat the excellent breakfast buffet each morning at the hotel.

Old Jan 29th, 1999, 03:52 AM
Jennifer

Thanks for the information Molly. I'm not familiar with the B&B plan at the Four Seasons...can you explain, please. Thanks!